"KP:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on nn:n0"

"KP:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on nn:n0"

Post by Michael Spragu » Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I am new here; perhaps someone will assist me.

I am attempting to turn my AMD 386DX/40 based pc into an Intranet
server, running a Linux os.

I have two ide fixed disk drives in the box, and a new ide cd-rom
(Pioneer dr-511)  The sound card the cd is attached is an imitation
Sound Bl;aster Pro.  My A: is 5.25" 1.2 MB; B: is 3.5" 1.44 MB.

The C: is a Western Digital, running Ontrack Software Drive Manager to
allow me access to more than the first half.  It has one Pri DOS
partition of 80 MB, which I have Win 95 installed in.

The D: ( a separate physical drive) is a 240 MB Samsung.

After a week of fiddling (which involved replacing the original SB 16 &
the old Teac 4Xish CD drive) I am able to boot in DOS 6.22 with a disk
in the a:

I get through the query process, making different choices each time for
the two options I am unsure of (CD Drive & CD interface), and answer yes
to the question "Do you want to boot Linux now...etc."

It starts to go to work, uncompressing Linux, and then it stalls,
invariably, with the following message, or one similar (The numbers
change, likely depending on which options I selected)

"Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 16:00"

What does this mean, exactly?

I am guessing that the root file system is having trouble finding a
home, so to speak, but I want to know what I can do about it.  The book
seems to no help; but maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Thanks.

ms

Post by Constantine Triantafill » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I am new here; perhaps someone will assist me.
>"Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 16:00"
>What does this mean, exactly?

Join the club my friend.
Same problem here.
I get the same message after trying to boot up with a new compiled
kernel. I have linux kernel version 2.0.27
:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Quote:>Thanks.
>ms

Constantine

1. If you see "VFS : Unable to mount root fs...", check this out.

I'd posted two messages regarding the hard disk partition not found error.
And finally figured out.

the message was:

Partition check:
  hda: multiple mode turned off
  hda: hda1
MINIX-fs : unable to read superblock
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
MSDOS bread failed
UMSDOS Beta 0.6(compatibility level 0.4 fast msdos)
MSDOS vread failed
isofs_read_super : vread failed, dev 0x304 iso-blkum16
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:04

then stoped.  Nothing worked but reset.

I'm using 2gig Maxtor HD.  I used to have a bios which does not accept that
large hard at all, so I used a kind of disk manager program comes with the HD.

After upgrading to Pentium(mother board and bios changed also), I didn't much
care whether the new bios read the HD or not.  Later I found out that my
motherboard can catch the HD.  Anyway, the diskmanager was not a big deal.
Linux worked fine 'till I installed new kernel.

For about two weeks, I tried everything I can think.  I compiled kernel more
than 10 times(I thought I missed an important option), removed lilo and use
lilo disk or re-installed lilo about 5 times(I thought it could possibly
re-write partition info.), and also removed whole linux and started over from
partition about 3 times.(lilo did not make partition table readable, so
tried repartitioning)

Last thing I could think was the d**n disk manager.  I removed it, then it is
working fine.

!!!  REMOVE DISKMAGER PROGRAM, if possible. !!!

2. Your advive for partitioning a harddisk of 3 gb.. :-)

3. "2842 controller - Kernel panic VFS: unable to mount root fs on 1:02"

4. Joining a block of lines ?

5. What's mean "Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:02"

6. Recommend Laser Pritner.

7. "VFS: unable to mount root" after kernel rebuild

8. lastcomm

9. "unable to mount root fs" seems common prob....

10. Linux Install: "unable to mount root fs on 0b:00"

11. LinuxPPC boot install from CD: "Unable to mount root fs on 01:00"

12. kernel rebuild results in "unable to mount root fs"

13. KP: unable to mount root fs on 08 :09