debian & canon printer

Post by Sven Heineck » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:55:47

Hi,

I try to get a Canon BJC-250 printer to work under debian woody. On
bootup I get the message 'parport0: Printer, Canon BJC-250', so far ok.
I configured the printer using magicfilter. But when I try to print
(either with 'cp' or 'lpr') I get this error:

cannot create regular file `/dev/lp0': No such device

Well, /dev/lp0 is there with 'crw-rw----    1 root     lp'.

What could be the problem here?
thanks

Sven

--

debian & canon printer

Post by Sven Heineck » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 23:11:48

> Hi,

> I try to get a Canon BJC-250 printer to work under debian woody. On
> bootup I get the message 'parport0: Printer, Canon BJC-250', so far ok.
> I configured the printer using magicfilter. But when I try to print
> (either with 'cp' or 'lpr') I get this error:

> cannot create regular file `/dev/lp0': No such device

> Well, /dev/lp0 is there with 'crw-rw----    1 root     lp'.

> What could be the problem here?
> thanks

Solved: the lp module couldn't be loaded. It now works with a new
kernel.

Sven

--

1. canon printer driver for debian sarge

hello everybody,
my name is Gabriele Ferri and I'm opening a small bounty hunt for
linux coders. The bounty is 50 euros, payable with paypal or bank
transfer.
The web page http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/bjlinux211.html contains
GPL drivers, status monitor and user interface for the canon bjs300
printer. I need them adapted and repackaged for a recent Debian Sarge.

The software are present both in rpm format for RedHat 7.2 (
http://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/bjfilterbjs300-2.1-1.i38...
, but rpms for status monitor and UI seems to be missing) and in
source code (http://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/bjfilter-2.1-1.tar.gz
, http://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/printui-2.1-1.tar.gz ,
http://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/stsmon-2.1-1.tar.gz ). It
seems that some essential libraries are present only in the rpm and
not in the tar source code. This driver doesn't use CUPS.

The task is to update and adapt the driver AND the status monitor AND
the graphical user interface for the bjs300 printer (other printers
are supported, but I don't need them) on a recent debian sarge i386
machine. I need this software in deb packages, with correct
dependencies from debian repositories if needed.

I don't want to use the gimpprint driver, since its output is not
optimal.

The resulting deb packages will be, of course, GPLed and you will be
free to further distibute them and signal them to the Debian team.

--

This bounty hunt works this way: everyone wanting to apply need to
send me an email to gabferri [AT] dsc [dot] unibo [dot] it. I will

look, I'm not a scammer. Honestly. I don't want to cheat on you. If
you contact me by email I will even call you on the phone (and pardon
my awful english) if this help you trusting me, but I'm afraid I
haven't other method to prove my goodwill. If you find something I can
do in order to be believed, please tell me!

---

good coding and bounty-hunting
Gabriele Ferri

2. Mounting SCSI cd-writer

3. Canon BJC-250 & Debian

4. Please help: Matrox MGA xconfig?

5. Ghostscript & Canon LBP4 printer

6. Socksified ip stack?

7. Printing problem with Canon BJC 7000 Printer, apsfilter & ghostscript

8. Netscape Error

9. Linux & Canon LBP1210 printer

10. Can a HP 820Cxi & Canon 4300 ex Printer work under Linux???

11. Canon BJC-5000 printer & Linux

12. linux & canon pixma ip3000 printer

13. Canon BJC-4000 Printer: What Printer Driver Do I Use for Postscript Translation?