120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

Post by Joni Jarvenky » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:45:58

Any suggestions for a 120 MB floppy (LS-120) Linux distro?

None of the really small ones really seem to geared towards this size,
or even have support for the LS-120 drive. Also, this is a laptop, so
PCMCIA support would be necessary for networking.

I'm looking for a system that would totally run off this floppy without
hard disk with 128-192 MB ram. Zipslackware is the only one I found that
is better suited for the 120 MB capacity, but its 30 MB size is hideous.

--

                    http://www.pervo.com/graphics/pervo_logo.gif

120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

Post by Eric Wilhel » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:30:54

Quote:

> Any suggestions for a 120 MB floppy (LS-120) Linux distro?

> None of the really small ones really seem to geared towards this size,
> or even have support for the LS-120 drive. Also, this is a laptop, so
> PCMCIA support would be necessary for networking.

> I'm looking for a system that would totally run off this floppy without
> hard disk with 128-192 MB ram. Zipslackware is the only one I found that
> is better suited for the 120 MB capacity, but its 30 MB size is hideous.

> --

>                     http://www.pervo.com/graphics/pervo_logo.gif

Do you need space on this disk for your personal files as well?  I have
Debian2.1 installed with documentation, all of the text utilities, X
windows, and a few X apps with the twm (no gnome or kde) and that takes up
about 115.  I imagine you could use one of their latest, dump some of the
docs and add more to X, but you will have to start with just the CLI, so I
hope you know your stuff. If you could set it up on a hard disk, then move
it to the floppy, you would probably have an easier time than building it up
from scratch.

--Eric

120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

Post by H. Dziardzi » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 01:28:49

>Any suggestions for a 120 MB floppy (LS-120) Linux distro?

>None of the really small ones really seem to geared towards this size,
>or even have support for the LS-120 drive. Also, this is a laptop, so
>PCMCIA support would be necessary for networking.

>I'm looking for a system that would totally run off this floppy without
>hard disk with 128-192 MB ram. Zipslackware is the only one I found that
>is better suited for the 120 MB capacity, but its 30 MB size is hideous.

>--

>                    http://www.pervo.com/graphics/pervo_logo.gif

muLinux may do what you want

120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

Post by Joni Jarvenky » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 03:14:55

>muLinux may do what you want

It actually doesn't, because both syslinux and kernel on that version
are old ones which do not contain support for LS-120 (tried). However the
Mulinux is otherwise promising, so I'll keep tinkering with it a little.

--

Post by Joni Jarvenky » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 03:25:04

>Do you need space on this disk for your personal files as well?  I have
>Debian2.1 installed with documentation, all of the text utilities, X
>windows, and a few X apps with the twm (no gnome or kde) and that takes up
>about 115.

Hehe, and I thought that ZipSlack is hideous at 30 MB...the other point
in size is the loading time, because (at least my) LS-120 is really
painfully slow. Booting up a 100 MB system could take half an hour!?

Well it is good to know in case the "pocket linuxes" turn out to be
too limited, Debian could be a way to go.

Playing around with Syslinux and other loaders isn't too easy when one is a
complete beginner with Linux, but finally I got at least Ramfloppy
booting. Some starting point ;) Luckily I have a little general unix
background.

Now that I have Ramfloppy booting, how can I create a bootable LS-120
floppy (120 MB) inside linux? The device is /dev/hdd . And does the new
floppy also have to be in MSDOS filesystem or can I change into ext2
now?

--

                    http://www.pervo.com/graphics/pervo_logo.gif

120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 05:36:16

Quote:

> Any suggestions for a 120 MB floppy (LS-120) Linux distro?

> None of the really small ones really seem to geared towards this size,
> or even have support for the LS-120 drive. Also, this is a laptop, so
> PCMCIA support would be necessary for networking.

Right, I have not found any other floppy system (even SuSE 7.3 rescue)
that supports ATAPI floppies.

Quote:> I'm looking for a system that would totally run off this floppy without
> hard disk with 128-192 MB ram. Zipslackware is the only one I found that
> is better suited for the 120 MB capacity, but its 30 MB size is hideous.

Whatever do you mean "hideous"?  It expands to 75 MB on a DOS bootable
LS-120 SuperDisk leaving you 45 MB to spare.  Certainly more capable than
anything else I have found.

If you think 30 MB is large for some reason, you should try downloading a
CD iso by modem.  I think it took me a week of nightly resumed ncftp to
download SuSE 7.3 liveeval iso (~40 hrs?).

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

1. Making a boot disk with LS-120 (was Re: LS-120 clicking)

Hi-

On a related note, and probably a FAQ:

my laptop only has an LS-120 drive. How can I make a boot disk?
mkbootdisk doesn't work, since it lives at /dev/hdc not a /dev/fd*

Thanks,

Andrew

--
Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________

University of California, 301 LeConte Hall               (510) 642-7570
Berkeley, CA 94720                                        FAX    2-1756

2. reading directories

3. ls-120 & sls-120 in Linux

4. Freesco and @Home

5. rescue floppy for LS-120/ATAPI floppy drive

6. How to increase stack size?

7. Linux with LS-120 floppy drives.

8. Obtain return code before pipe

9. Can Linux boot from Notebook LS-120 floppy?

10. Does Linux support the LS-120 floppy drive?

11. LS-120 High CApacity Floppy and Linux

12. LS-120 superdisk / paride / floppy-based Linux how-to's

13. LS-120 drive troubles ++ IDE-floppy