ATI StereoF/X configuration with Linux?

Post by rodney pi » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I have an ATI Stereo F/x card that I am trying to get the sound working
on.  I have been able to generate sounds using .au files but the
quality is not great.  The irq's and ports have been set correctly.
The following are the results of dmesg and sndstat.  I am looking for
someone who is familiar with the setup for the StereoF/X with Linux and
can suggest what changes I need to make to the setup to improve the output.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rod

snd2 <SoundBlaster 2.1> at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1

Installed drivers:
Type 2: SoundBlaster

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1

PCM devices:
0: SoundBlaster 2.1

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

MIDI Timers:

0 mixer(s) installed

 Bell-Northern Research  *  Phone: 613-763-3261
 Standard disclaimers... - Opinions...if any are my own.

ATI StereoF/X configuration with Linux?

Post by thias Steppu » Mon, 31 Jul 1995 04:00:00

In comp.os.linux.setup liess sich am 28 Jul 1995 19:38:07 GMT
rodney pike zu folgender Aeusserung hinreissen :

: I have an ATI Stereo F/x card (... )I am looking for
: someone who is familiar with the setup for the StereoF/X with Linux and
: can suggest what changes I need to make to the setup to improve the output.

well, the Problem concerning the mixer i haven't solved, but
if you apply a single line in sb_dsp.c you can join SB-Pro Sound. (22Khz
Stereo)

Look for following function:

sb_dsp_init (long mem_start, struct address_info *hw_config)
{
  int             i;
  int             mixer_type = 0;

  sbc_major = sbc_minor = 0;
  sb_dsp_command (0xe1);        /*
                                 * Get version
                                 */

  for (i = 1000; i; i--)
    {
      if (INB (DSP_DATA_AVAIL) & 0x80)
        {                       /*
                                 * wait for Data Ready
                                 */
          if (sbc_major == 0)
            sbc_major = INB (DSP_READ);
          else
            {
              sbc_minor = INB (DSP_READ);
              break;
            }
        }
    }

and now append:

       sbc_major++;

and your ATI appears as an SB-Pro 3.1
Yes, it isn't quite the fine art of programming but ....

ciao

thias

--

---

Universaldilletant (Diplom-Soziologe) sucht gut honorierten Job ...

1. Help needed for Linux X configuration with ATI Rage Mobility-M PCI

I have a NEC Versa Note VXi laptop with an ATI Rage Mobility-M PCI 4MB
graphics card.

I have 2 distributions Mandrake 7.0 and Red Hat 6.0, with both distri's
Linux works fine except for X. I can't get X configured for my video card.
NEC is not supporting Linux and ATI is not supporting their cards in
laptops.

Does anyone have experience with this type of card? If so please let me know
how to get things up and running. I tried to configure a Mach64 card but
that does'nt work. From the postings I concluded that I should maybe
configure a Rage 128 card. I haven't tried that yet.

Anyway somebody willing to share his experience, give me some tips or even
can supply a XF86Config file is very welcome to do so.

When replying to me directly please remove '.nospam' from my e-mail adress.

Greetz.

2. Good Linux Admin Guide?

3. E-mail from ATI Tech Support / ATI TV `n Linux...

4. libs under solaris

5. On-board ATI Rage Pro in dual-head configuration

6. Linux install on a X386?

7. ATI VGA WONDER GT Mach 8 Configuration

8. stdio.h broken?

9. ATI Xpert 128 configuration problem

10. Help me on ATI Mach 64 Configuration!!!!!!!

11. ATI Xpression Configuration Problems with X Windows

12. Wanted : ATI Mach64 PCI configuration.

13. X window configuration with ATI Expert98 4Mb