Reply To: doesn't work so well...

Post by Lord of the Elve » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

Hi all. I'm having a fairly persistent problem with my networking. I'm
using RedHat 4.1 (thought the networking components are all upgraded to
the 4.2 versions).

I've been having the following hassle: The computer I dial in to is
called pegasus.rutgers.edu. So in order to get my email to have the
right address on the header, I need to set my host to
'pegasus.rutgers.edu'. But of course, the problem with this is when I
try to send mail to other users on the school network, my machine thinks
the mail is for itself, and will not deliver it.

There is another option of course: change the hostname and use
to call it...like, "localhost" for example...

Only, when I try to do this, and send a message to one of my other
accounts, I discover that the Reply To: address doesn't work- the mail
programs on the other end all ignore it.

Thanks

-- Donovan

__________________________________

you know what to delete from the header...

Reply To: doesn't work so well...

Post by Anthony Schlemme » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all. I'm having a fairly persistent problem with my networking. I'm
> using RedHat 4.1 (thought the networking components are all upgraded to
> the 4.2 versions).
> I've been having the following hassle: The computer I dial in to is
> called pegasus.rutgers.edu. So in order to get my email to have the
> right address on the header, I need to set my host to
> 'pegasus.rutgers.edu'. But of course, the problem with this is when I
> try to send mail to other users on the school network, my machine thinks
> the mail is for itself, and will not deliver it.
> There is another option of course: change the hostname and use
> to call it...like, "localhost" for example...
> Only, when I try to do this, and send a message to one of my other
> accounts, I discover that the Reply To: address doesn't work- the mail
> programs on the other end all ignore it.
> Thanks
> -- Donovan
> __________________________________
> you know what to delete from the header...

a hostname name. If the information I'm seeing in your posting is correct then

Anthony

--

Anthony Schlemmer

Reply To: doesn't work so well...

Post by Ed Coat » Mon, 03 Nov 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

What you can do is this, depending on the mail program you are using.  If you
use pine, or elm, they have a config option to set the reply to for you.
Personally, I use a wonderful gui program called tkrat, which not only lets you
set the reply to header for all your email, but let's you set up to masquerade
as any host you want to.  Ex:  My domainname on my system is shadow.land, but
tkrat makes me look like my ISP's domain connecti.com when sending out.

Ed

Quote:

> I've been having the following hassle: The computer I dial in to is
> called pegasus.rutgers.edu. So in order to get my email to have the
> right address on the header, I need to set my host to
> 'pegasus.rutgers.edu'. But of course, the problem with this is when I
> try to send mail to other users on the school network, my machine thinks
> the mail is for itself, and will not deliver it.

  Ed Coates                             | Jesus Saves... Passes to Moses

1. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

bffcreate first restores all images from the tape to /tmp (default)
and than does a 'restore -p' to pack them in big files and place these
files in /usr/sys/inst.images. It's much more easier to use 'dd' to
copy the files directly from the tape to disk. The only thing you have
to take care about it the naming. If all images are copied run 'inutoc'
on the directory were you placed your files this will create the
table of contents files '.toc'.

frank ;-)

| E-Mail: FRANVM3(KRAEMERF)                 - IBM VNET  "Yes, I'm one  |
| ======  IBMMAIL(DEIBM27S)                 - IBM-Mail   of those      |
|         DE.IBMX400.IBMMAIL.KRAEMER.KRAEME - X.400      stupid IBM    |

| Voice : +49-(0)611/776-364                                           |
| Mail  : Abraham-Lincoln Street 26, 6200 Wiesbaden, Germany           |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. record parsing in C

3. Tin e-Mail Reply Doesn't Work!!

4. Recompiling gcc 2.6.2/libc 4.6.27

5. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

6. eth0: Too much work at interrupt - PCI IRQ-sharing problem?

7. : PLIP start up doesn't report problems but also doesn't work?

8. SunScreen 3.2 and PPP on Sol9?

9. Oh, fooey -- drivers don't work, rpm doesn't work

10. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

11. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

12. kernel doesn't recognize bootp replies?

13. 'kill -HUP pid' doesn't work for restart!