kernel_version, *** Cannot resolve kernel symbols, and kernel modules

kernel_version, *** Cannot resolve kernel symbols, and kernel modules

Post by Greg Harewoo » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi all - Please help if you can!

I installed Linux PPC R4 from the CD on my G3/266 and used bootX from
the outset.  The CD installed 2.1.24, bootX started things up with
2.1.125 (grabbed separately).

Fine.  I had problems with serial port functionality, which I put down
to the fact that it wouldn't load modules.  I acquired the 2.1.125
modules and untarred them in root, they seemed to parallel 2.1.24
modules fine.  Now I get Unable to resolve messages.

I tried 2.1.24 using Open Firmware instead of bootX.  Lots of pain to
get it going, ppp is not a module here and neither is serial, so I can
work a little better, but still won't load modules.

What's going on?

So far as I can tell, /boot has a matching vmlinux and System.map, I've
run quik.  I've run ldconfig in case this helps it to find symbols
(don't seem to have a manual page for this).  /var/log/debug includes a
kernel message soon after startup that says it has successfully loaded
10000 symbols from System.map.  kerneld is running.

insmod -v appletalk   (for example)

produces (on all kernel versions) something like...

(sdasd)
(asdasds)
(found a load of useless symbols)
Cannot find kernel_version in kernel or module
Need kernel_version

Seriously paraphrased, sorry.
I tried recompiling 2.1.24, I made sure module versioning was on.

What is the module-info file and how do I create it?  It wasn't created
by Makeing the source, or Making modules.

depmod -a produces lots of *** Unresolved symbol errors.  I think it is
depmod -a that produces the same stuff during boot.

nm -g module.o lists normal simple stuff like strcpy as being things
that it needs to link to.  Presumably these are statically compiled into
the kernel and regular libc is not used.  So again, all it should have
to do is to find these in System.map, right?  And they seem to be listed
there.

Sign.  I'm going round in circles, but I think that I've covered most
things!

Thanks for any help
Greg

Post by -??? » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I tried recompiling 2.1.24, I made sure module versioning was on.

> What is the module-info file and how do I create it?  It wasn't created
> by Makeing the source, or Making modules
> depmod -a produces lots of *** Unresolved symbol errors.  I think it is
> depmod -a that produces the same stuff during boot.

That's right , look in your /lib/modules/2.1.24/ your old modules are still
there, only the newly compiled ones(make modules ; make modules_install)
are overwritten. You can safely delete the old ones you aren't using. (Or
just delete them all and then recompile+install the ones you need)

hope this helps you a bit.

DrWho.

--
Slackware Rulez!
Linux fortuyn 2.0.36 #8 Mon Jan 4 17:50:34 CET 1999 i586 unknown

kernel_version, *** Cannot resolve kernel symbols, and kernel modules

Post by Dietmar Herrend?rfe » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

> Cannot find kernel_version in kernel or module
> Need kernel_version

Seems(!) as if you use modules and kernel from different
compilations! Is that possible?

Quote:> I tried recompiling 2.1.24, I made sure module versioning was on.

Thats is not  necessary, unless you mix modules and kernel from two
different compilations. I.e. if you compile the whole lot again, it will
work without this being set.

Quote:> What is the module-info file and how do I create it?  It wasn't created
> by Makeing the source, or Making modules.

Something RedHat invented, I think for their linuxconf utility. I have
simply gone back to basics and deleted that file.

Quote:> depmod -a produces lots of *** Unresolved symbol errors.  I think it is
> depmod -a that produces the same stuff during boot.

Are you sure, that you replaced all modules under /lib/modules/... with
tnewly compiled ones. Probably delete anything below /lib/modules
after (!) compiling the new set of modules and then do a
"make modules_install". Dont try to do too many other things, while
the modules arent there, some commands might miss them /-(.

Also, I had similar problems with just a few(!) modules, while still using
older kernel revisions. But definitely from kernel 2.1.130 onwards, I
havent
see anything of this sort again.

I hope this helps a little bit
Dietmar

1. cannot install modules: (un)resolved symbols

I have posted this message with another subject line but this one may be
more appropriate.

Again,....

I tried to compile the ftape-4.xx driver for kernels
2.2.x and I had to do some hacking myself.

I only have a small problem now:

First I do:

/sbin/depmod -a

This should update the file /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/modules.dep

This file contains the lines:

/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ftape.o:
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/zftape.o: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ftape.o

So zftape.o depends on ftape.o.

Now I try to load these two modules:

/sbin/insmod ftape.o
/sbin/insmod zftape.o

about "unresolvved symbols". However, these symbolds ARE resolved since
these are present in ftape.o.

Anyone can help? What am I doing wrong when loading the modules?

Huib

  huib.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Recommend 2 Video Cards for Fedora Core 2?

3. Rebuild kernel with ACPI on RH 9 gives un-resolved symbols

4. NeWSprinter CL+ install woes

5. aha1542, module vs kernel, kernel doesn't work, need kernel

6. Linux Server

7. Opening a kernel module from another kernel module

8. Compaq vs. ALR server - hard to choose

9. cannot load modules 'kernel_version needed, but can't be found'

10. Ft. Worth - Linux Kernel Module Programmer - Unix kernel modules & Unix device drivers

11. How can a loadable kernel module resolve external references?

12. get_kernel_sys failed: Cannot find Kernel symbols!

13. get_kernel_sys failed: Cannot fine Kernel symbols!