Help: How to start X being a user?

Post by Hong J » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I installed Blackware on my PC. I configed the XFree86 as root and I can
start X window properly being root.

However, after adding a user and login as a user, I can not start X
window with "startx". What is wrong?

Thanks.

Hong Ji

Help: How to start X being a user?

Post by zinc » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

the X server needs to be setuid root.  try chmod +s XF86_xxx or
whatever your server is called as root.

sorry i cannot remember the octal code, may 4555 or something...

-pjf

--
"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin (1773)

Post by Hocus Poc » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I installed Blackware on my PC. I configed the XFree86 as root and I can
>start X window properly being root.

>However, after adding a user and login as a user, I can not start X
>window with "startx". What is wrong?

Please send or post more info (output from startx etc.)

--

Nerima, Tokyo JAPAN

At Group L, Stoffel oversees six first-rate programmers, a managerial
challenge roughly comparable to herding cats.
                -- The Washington Post Magazine, June 9, 1985

Post by David L. Johnso » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I installed Blackware on my PC. I configed the XFree86 as root and I can
> start X window properly being root.

> However, after adding a user and login as a user, I can not start X
> window with "startx". What is wrong?

I am embarassed at the incorrect responses I?have seen to this post.
The solution is NOT to use xdm, or "source openwin", or, probably, the
path.

This is a FAQ at the moment, because it would seem that something in
slackware's latest is screwed up.  Actually, slackware tends to have
this
sort of error -- I had it, on some programs, when I used it a year or so
ago.

The problem is, most likely, that the permissions on your X server are
wrong.  That is the file XF86_Whatever (exact name depends on your
hardware).  It MUST be suid root, that is, the permissions MUST look
like mine:

-rws--x--x   1 root     root      1474243 Oct 27 05:27
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_W32

Note the "s".  That means that this program, when run, has the same
authority as if it were run by root (the owner of the program).  This is
needed to take control of the video.

To enable this, run

chmod 4755 XF86_Whatever

in the directory /usr/X11R6/bin/

(change the name of the server to match yours).

--

Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

Post by Dr. J. Wan » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >Hi,

> >I installed Blackware on my PC. I configed the XFree86 as root and I can
> >start X window properly being root.

> >However, after adding a user and login as a user, I can not start X
> >window with "startx". What is wrong?

You should copy .X* files (hidden configuration files) from your /root
to your user home dir. and then change files ownship using chown
userid.users .X*

I am logging in as a regular user and using X window to surf the net. If
you still have any troubles, post those error messages.

Jizhong

Jizhong Wang, Ph.D.                     St. Boniface Hosptial
                                        Winnipeg, Canada

Help: How to start X being a user?

Post by Niclas Anderbe » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I installed Blackware on my PC. I configed the XFree86 as root and I can
> start X window properly being root.

> However, after adding a user and login as a user, I can not start X
> window with "startx". What is wrong?

the X-server has to be suid root.. do (as root) chmod +s <X-server> and
you will be able to use X as all users..

--
/ Niclas Anderberg
  Studying Computer Science & Engineering at LTH in Sweden

1. I am getting start with linux and i need help

I my name is thierry am french and i know that write in english is not
my best point but i have some troubles with my linux configuration and
i need help.

my configuration is a 486dx2/66 24Mo ram & 1 ide drive of 450 mo &
another of 320 for linux and two disk of one giga in scsi, my scsi
card is a Tekram DC-300b isa but (my mother card is VLB) my video card
is a ET4000 i have also an ethernet card 3c5x9 in BNC/COAX connection
with a novell server 4.10 and a sound blaster card 16 my mouse is a
track ball logitech mouse a cdrom mistumi fx001d with proprietary bus
That's all for my configuration

My linux kernel is 1.2.3

My firt trouble is i can't access to my scsi drive under linux
i just have one message at linux startup the message tell me that my
scsi card have no bios 32 and i don't no what to do (i just try to get
the scsi drivers for my tekram card under tekram web page but the
package files appears to be corrupt by my web navigator netscape 2.0
under windows 95 during the download process)

My second trouble is that i need the client under linux for access my
novell netware server if this posible.

and my last trouble is my sound card it doesn't work under linux i
think
that was because i chose a kernel without it but the kernel with sound
blaster
card don't recognize my cd-rom

I appreciate if you can't help and understand my.
you can't give me a response to my email address at

2. rexec fails second time.

3. Video Capture cards

4. I am a first time user !! Help!!

5. Installing Linux via NFS

6. Help, I am a new user {newbie}

7. sccs front end for ISC Unix V.3.2.2.1

8. I am a newish user and need help with a sound card under gnome

9. I am a new user, can anybody help me

10. ***HELP*** I am a new user trying to install Linux 6.2

11. KPPP: Will not start as user unless started under root first

12. How to start apache httpd as some other user other than root- User directive