Linux and Partitioning

Post by Mike Wojc » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

    I'm in a bit of a jam about what to do here.. This is my exact situation:

    At this point, I have a bunch of things that I do not want to loose.. I
have noone of it backed up.. I would *LIKE* to (But we would LIKE to do a lot
of things :-) ).. Anyway right now, I have Windows 95/DOS installed...  I want
to switch to Linux..(RedHat) It would be NICE to kkep Win '95 around.. But I
don't really have to..  I have the following problem..  I have 2 hard drives..
the first one is a 1.2 gig partitioned like:
   Drive 1    Primary Partition    C:   250 Megs
              Exteneded Partition  E:-H: 250 Megs
then my 540 Meg is in one partition.. Drive D:..

   I have over 200 megs free on the 540 and 400+ free on the 1.2.. I tried
using FIPS, but the version I got (very old) did not work with extended
partitions.. Are there any newer versions that work with them??  Any other
ways I can change my partitions.. Right now H: is completely empty..  I would
like to make that my Linux partition..
   I have a lot of important, space conjsuming files on the 540... If I moved
everything off of there (which I don't much feel like doing, but I would),
could I make that a Linux partition?  Any help with these damn extended
partitions would be appreciated!  Thanks for listening! :-)

        Mike

--

Linux and Partitioning

Post by James Youngm » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>    I'm in a bit of a jam about what to do here.. This is my exact situation:

>    At this point, I have a bunch of things that I do not want to loose.. I
>have noone of it backed up.. I would *LIKE* to (But we would LIKE to do a lot
>of things :-) ).. Anyway right now, I have Windows 95/DOS installed...  I want
>to switch to Linux..(RedHat) It would be NICE to kkep Win '95 around.. But I
>don't really have to..  I have the following problem..  I have 2 hard drives..
>the first one is a 1.2 gig partitioned like:
>   Drive 1    Primary Partition    C:   250 Megs
>              Exteneded Partition  E:-H: 250 Megs
>then my 540 Meg is in one partition.. Drive D:..

>   I have over 200 megs free on the 540 and 400+ free on the 1.2.. I tried
>using FIPS, but the version I got (very old) did not work with extended
>partitions.. Are there any newer versions that work with them??  Any other
>ways I can change my partitions.. Right now H: is completely empty..  I would
>like to make that my Linux partition..
>   I have a lot of important, space conjsuming files on the 540... If I moved
>everything off of there (which I don't much feel like doing, but I would),
>could I make that a Linux partition?  Any help with these damn extended
>partitions would be appreciated!  Thanks for listening! :-)

You can do it as you are.   You can make H: your Linux partition and (when the
time comes to choose where to put LILO), put LILO on the boot sector of H:,
instead of on the MBR, and use fdisk to make the device for H: (the
only partition that is) bootable.   Don't forget to tell the installation
program to add an entry for Windows 95 ("other=" in /etc/lilo.conf).

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're