eepro100(?) stops flowing after a minute

eepro100(?) stops flowing after a minute

Post by dm-.. » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 09:19:10

I'm having trouble with an "Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset
Ethernet (rev 3)", or as windows calls it, an "Intel PRO/100 VE".  I guess
that eepro100 is the right driver to use for that.

Basically, things work fine if I don't use it much. After passing about a
minute's worth of traffic over it, data stop flowing. Round about that
time I get the message "eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!" at 1Hz.

Running "ifdown eth0 ; sleep 0 ; ifup eth0" fixes the problem for another
minute of fun.

I've been using stock kernel images from debian: 2.2.18pre21 and 2.4.5.
Both have exactly the same behavior.

Advice on what to do/read?

--Dave (an ethernet chimpanzee)

eepro100(?) stops flowing after a minute

Post by Niels Kristian Jens » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:02:26

Quote:>I'm having trouble with an "Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset
>Ethernet (rev 3)", or as windows calls it, an "Intel PRO/100 VE".  I guess
>that eepro100 is the right driver to use for that.

I saw a different driver suggestion here:

http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/

Post by cami.. » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:43:39

> Basically, things work fine if I don't use it much. After passing about a
> minute's worth of traffic over it, data stop flowing. Round about that
> time I get the message "eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!" at 1Hz.

I have the same problem with a 815 MB. For the moment I have fixed it
by using another network card. However, I have been told that eepro100
was not the right driver, and, as a matter of fact, the intel site
proposes another one. Yous may have a look at it

Good luck

--Camille

Post by David Mor » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:12:18

> > Basically, things work fine if I don't use it much. After passing about a
> > minute's worth of traffic over it, data stop flowing. Round about that
> > time I get the message "eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!" at 1Hz.

> I have the same problem with a 815 MB. For the moment I have fixed it
> by using another network card. However, I have been told that eepro100
> was not the right driver, and, as a matter of fact, the intel site
> proposes another one. Yous may have a look at it

> Good luck

> --Camille

Yep.  e100 works where eepro100 does not.  Thank you both.

I had to hack the source a little to get it to compile against 2.4.5,
so I guess that makes me a kernel hacker now.  :/