Can I install LILO AFTER installing Linux?

Can I install LILO AFTER installing Linux?

Post by Ryan » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Quote:> to install it somehow right??  or not right?  I can however boot from the
> boot disk I made and get to the Linux Login, so I can edit the lilo.conf is
> that is all that needs to be done....i just dont know!  What should I do
> now??

just issue the command /sbin/lilo

you might have to do this  /sbin/lilo -r /mountname/

i.e. if you mounted your file system as /mnt/system  know what i mean ..

This is so that lilo looks in the right place for the /etc/lilo.conf

Anyways im probably wrong

--
http://www.infowar.co.uk/manicx/

 
 
 

Can I install LILO AFTER installing Linux?

Post by Juergen Hein » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00



>Hi Everyone,

>First off, no one laff too hard at me.      I have installed linux several times
>on my system, everytime i get it installed i do something to*it up
>again....which for me is the best way to learn!!  So anyways, well this time

8-)

[...]

Quote:>Obviously, I screwed up.  so now when I boot the system, all I get is LI of
>LILO.  I have read through all the past posts about this problem, but none
>seem to fit my situation.  Since I did not tell Linux to install LILO, I need
>to install it somehow right??  or not right?  I can however boot from the
>boot disk I made and get to the Linux Login, so I can edit the lilo.conf is
>that is all that needs to be done....i just dont know!      What should I do
>now??

Somehow you have to mount your root partition, but since you say installed
I guess you've go a distribution. If you've a ramdisk during installation
you can do this ...
mount /dev/rootdevice [here /dev/sda3 for instance] /mnt
edit /mnt/etc/lilo.conf
lilo -v -t -r /mnt
... where the -t means test only, just to see whether all looks fine and
... if so ...
lilo -r /mnt
... then umount /mnt and reboot; it should now boot from the hard disk.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +44 181-332 0750              \                  /

 
 
 

Can I install LILO AFTER installing Linux?

Post by Sven Utck » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00



> Hi Everyone,

> First off, no one laff too hard at me.     I have installed linux several times
> on my system, everytime i get it installed i do something to*it up
> again....which for me is the best way to learn!!  So anyways, well this time
> I chose to go for the Custom install....and everything went pretty much ok,
> or so I thought.  I was told by someone or I read it, I cannot remember, that
> if I did not have anything but Linux on my system, which I dont, that I could
> SKIP the part where it says where you want to install LILO, so I did.
> Obviously, I screwed up.  so now when I boot the system, all I get is LI of
> LILO.  

So you obviously installed LILO :-)

Quote:> I have read through all the past posts about this problem, but none
> seem to fit my situation.  

I guess most of the "Help LILO: I only get LI" type of messages
would...

Quote:> Since I did not tell Linux to install LILO, I need
> to install it somehow right??  or not right?  

I would guess you somehow didn't install it correctly, so your best
bet might be to boot using a floppy and edit lilo.conf.  In
particular, make sure that it really points to
a) the correct drive (partition)
b) the correct location of the kernel
then run lilo (/sbin/lilo ?).

Hope this helps

Sven
--
 _       _   Lehrstuhl fuer Mustererkennung und Bildverarbeitung
| |_ __ | |__                                                        Sven Utcke
| | '  \| '_ \   phone:      +49 761 203 8274                   Am Flughafen 17
|_|_|_|_|_.__/   fax  :      +49 761 203 8262           79110 Freiburg i. Brsg.

 
 
 

1. End of Linux Install (LILO Install)

Hi, I installed Redhat 5.0, and made it almost all the way through the
installation.  At the end, the part where it installs LILO, I keep
getting an error regarding the boot installation.  I've tried every
combination possible b/t MBR and linux partition.  I'm running a GW2K
P2-266, 64MB RAM, 6.4GB UDMA (Master), 8.4GB UDMA (Slave), Ultra33 PCI
UDMA interface.  I found a workaround to allow Linux install to access
the Ultra33, and the install seems to work fine up until that point.
The partitions are as follows:

hda - ZIP Drive
hdb - CD-ROM Drive
hde1 - MBR/ 1st partition on 6.4GB
hde3 - 2nd partition on 6.4GB
hde4 - 3rd partition on 6.4GB
hdf1 - 1st partition on 8.4GB
hdf3 - Linux Native partition on 8.4GB
hdf4 - Linux Swapfile partition on 8.4GB
hdf5 - FAT32 partition on 8.4GB

Please Help

2. Huge difference between AIX and SCO disk performance

3. Linux LILO Problems and How to install NT after installing 95 and SUSE

4. any info on using pptp with duronline?

5. Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

6. Gig-E driver for AIX 4.2.1

7. LILO - booting 2x Win98 installs and a Slackware install

8. Q: Any way/script to tell who entered my dir? (I'm not superuser_

9. Installed Lilo to Master Boot Record, now can't install WinNT

10. How to install LILO from install disk?

11. Problem installing RH 5.2, lilo won't install

12. RH5.1 is installed, but LILO could not be installed

13. How to Uninstall LILO -o How to boot DOS once LILO is installed?