Can't remote log as root

Can't remote log as root

Post by Alok Menghrajan » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:06:58



Hi,

I have got two computers in my room, one running windows, and the other one
with debian linux. If I telnet to the debian machine from the windows
machine, I can logon as a normal user, but I can't logon as root. Why not ?
How can I solve this ? I want to logon as root so that I don't need to
unplug/replug my monitor each time, since I only have one monitor for two
computers.

BTW should I switch off the monitor before unpluging it from the graphics
card ? I know it's usally bad to handle "live" cables, but it's also not
very good to switch on and off monitors...

Alok.

 
 
 

Can't remote log as root

Post by Michael Wandinge » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 04:07:13


Hello Alok,


> Hi,

> I have got two computers in my room, one running windows, and the other one
> with debian linux. If I telnet to the debian machine from the windows
> machine, I can logon as a normal user, but I can't logon as root. Why not ?
> How can I solve this ? I want to logon as root so that I don't need to
> unplug/replug my monitor each time, since I only have one monitor for two
> computers.

do a "su -" on the Linux Box, so you would get root.
This is a security-adjustment, because Telnet transport passwords as
cleartext over the network.
The best you can do is deinstall telnetd and install sshd (Secure Shell
Daemon).
At home you could risk to allow root-login per sshd or telnet, too.

Quote:

> BTW should I switch off the monitor before unpluging it from the graphics
> card ? I know it's usally bad to handle "live" cables, but it's also not
> very good to switch on and off monitors...

good question, I think this method is more dangerous for VGA-card than
the monitor. But if no short circuit happened this should go...

Quote:

> Alok.

greetings

Michael

 
 
 

Can't remote log as root

Post by Marc Gree » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 05:19:09


On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:07:13 +0100, Michael Wandinger


>Hello Alok,


>> Hi,

>> I have got two computers in my room, one running windows, and the other one
>> with debian linux. If I telnet to the debian machine from the windows
>> machine, I can logon as a normal user, but I can't logon as root. Why not ?
>> How can I solve this ? I want to logon as root so that I don't need to
>> unplug/replug my monitor each time, since I only have one monitor for two
>> computers.

>do a "su -" on the Linux Box, so you would get root.
>This is a security-adjustment, because Telnet transport passwords as
>cleartext over the network.
>The best you can do is deinstall telnetd and install sshd (Secure Shell
>Daemon).
>At home you could risk to allow root-login per sshd or telnet, too.

Telnet transports everything clear text, so doing 'su' after the fact is
still going to give anyone sniffing the password (not to mention a valid
user account to 'su' from). SSH is the way.

Unless... he's talking about telnetting between 2 machines on a home
network behind a firewall with telnet blocked off on the external interface,
then there's no problem. Just at pts/1 to the top of the /etc/securetty
file, and telnetd will happily log you in directly as root.

Marc

 
 
 

Can't remote log as root

Post by Alok Menghrajan » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 05:55:49


Quote:> do a "su -" on the Linux Box, so you would get root.
> This is a security-adjustment, because Telnet transport passwords as
> cleartext over the network.
> The best you can do is deinstall telnetd and install sshd (Secure Shell
> Daemon).
> At home you could risk to allow root-login per sshd or telnet, too.

Ok, I noticed that su was working (that's how I got my work done today).
Is sshd as simple to use as telnet ? I mean from a users point of view does
it
work the same way ? It means that I need an ssh client on the windows
machine right ? I have got
cygwin, so I guess ssh should work.

Quote:> > BTW should I switch off the monitor before unpluging it from the
graphics
> > card ? I know it's usally bad to handle "live" cables, but it's also not
> > very good to switch on and off monitors...

> good question, I think this method is more dangerous for VGA-card than
> the monitor. But if no short circuit happened this should go...

Thanks for your help & time,
Alok.
 
 
 

Can't remote log as root

Post by Alok Menghrajan » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 06:27:08


Right now I don't have a firewall yet, but I'm mainly using a home network.
I'll soon install the firewall.

Alok.

 
 
 

Can't remote log as root

Post by Jim Richardso » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 05:56:31


On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:55:49 +0100,

Quote:>> do a "su -" on the Linux Box, so you would get root. This is
>> a security-adjustment, because Telnet transport passwords as
>> cleartext over the network. The best you can do is deinstall
>> telnetd and install sshd (Secure Shell Daemon). At home you
>> could risk to allow root-login per sshd or telnet, too.

> Ok, I noticed that su was working (that's how I got my work
> done today). Is sshd as simple to use as telnet ? I mean from a
> users point of view does it work the same way ? It means that
> I need an ssh client on the windows machine right ? I have got
> cygwin, so I guess ssh should work.

ssh works sort of like telnet, and has a lot more features, like being
able to encrypt other bitstreams like pop3, or X11 via tunnels. I use
the putty ssh client on windows when I have to do anything with windows.
it works ok. Almost as well as secpanel (a gui front end to ssh)

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
www.eskimo.com/~warlock
        Linux, because life's too short for a buggy OS.

 
 
 

1. Can't log in as root, but can su root

I'm trying to set up my linux firewall box. I first got it running with
tcp/ip networking. I then added some packages by putting in my linux
mandrake 6.1 boot disk and selecting upgrade (its a lot easier to
satisfy dependencies). The next time I rebooted, I could not log in as
root. It would simply say "login incorrect." I can log in as my normal
user account, then su root. But I can't log into root directly. This
only happened since I used the bootdisk to upgrade the packages.

Can someone please help, I'm very frustrated. Thanks.

2. UUCP over TCP/IP

3. Can't log in as 'root' all of a sudden...

4. LINUX 0.96 on my notebook

5. Problem: No password-free remote 'root' login possible

6. Linux NET-2 HOWTO (part 1/4)

7. HELP - lost root's shell and can't log in.

8. Tgif-4.0.6 is available for ftp...

9. How do I log in as 'root' from the CLI?

10. HELP - Metro X doesn't work when I'm logged in as root???

11. It's not bad canned meat...

12. remote logging as root (Solaris 2.5)