RH5.0 Doesn't see EtherExpress Pro/10+, et al...

RH5.0 Doesn't see EtherExpress Pro/10+, et al...

Post by Gordon Griede » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to do a redHat 5.0 FTP install from one machine to another here in
our office.

Problems:

  - When the installer asks for a card, I tell it EtherExpress Pro and it does
not see it.  I've tried every other driver in the list to no avail.

  - The two 6.4 gig drives I have in the box are recognized by Disk Druid and
fdisk but when I setup a swap file, the changes aren't saved to the partition table.

I have checked the FAQs, and this is a current board and BIOS.

Any suggestions?

(by email pref)

--

The University of Manitoba and MBNet -- Censoring Manitoba since 1998
"It was our impression we were doing the best service to Manitobans."

RH5.0 Doesn't see EtherExpress Pro/10+, et al...

Post by j.. » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to do a redHat 5.0 FTP install from one machine to another here in
>our office.

>Problems:

>  - When the installer asks for a card, I tell it EtherExpress Pro and it does
>not see it.  I've tried every other driver in the list to no avail.

If you know exactly what kind of card it is and that card is listed there's
probably no point in trying other ones.  Do you know the IO and IRQ settings
of your card?  Have you tried supplying those?

Quote:>  - The two 6.4 gig drives I have in the box are recognized by Disk Druid and
>fdisk but when I setup a swap file, the changes aren't saved to the partition
>table.

Don't use Disk Druid - it's broken.  Use fdisk to create the partition and
make sure you exit with "w".

HTH
John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

RH5.0 Doesn't see EtherExpress Pro/10+, et al...

Post by Peter F Gra » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>   - When the installer asks for a card, I tell it EtherExpress Pro and it does

[snip]

I've just had the same problem.  Eventually, I discovered that using the
eepro module with io=0x210 worked fine.
Regards, Pete.

Post by Jeff Sharp » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

> I'm trying to do a redHat 5.0 FTP install from one machine to another here in
> our office.

Great idea... small prob, your card isn't supported from the rh50 install
disks.

Quote:> Problems:

>   - When the installer asks for a card, I tell it EtherExpress Pro and it does
> not see it.  I've tried every other driver in the list to no avail.

I assume by your subj line that you mean the Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 PCI
card?  If so, this card did not have a module in RH50 (BTW - I'm pleased to
say, it does in RH51 -- and was even autodetected!).  Just recompile the
kernel with these (I'm using 2.0.33):
        CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
        CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
        CONFIG_NET_EISA=y
        CONFIG_EEXPRESS_PRO100B=y

Hope this helps.

Jeff Sharpe
<http://www.3-c.net/>

1. !Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ et al

My wife's machine has an Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ ISA lan card.
Attempting to configure locks up machine.  RedHat says unsupported. . .
. so far.

I have an IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter (Cntrlr chip=PCnet-PCI II
AM79C970AKC) locks up my machine when I attempt to configure.

Can someone help me here??  One aspect of Linux we wanted to take
advantage of is the Peer-to-Peer Lan capabilities.  These work fine
under Win95 and OS/2.  Why not Linux???

Ralph

Please reply by e-mail

2. Looking for Solaris 9

3. EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+

4. Configuring sendmail relay behind the firewall

5. Linux RH5.0 , Win95 and Intel etherexpress PRO/10

6. Gnome mouse pointer too small...

7. RH5.1/Intel EtherExpress Pro 10+ ...Help!

8. Austin + Linux + X : don't work :(

9. Install Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/10+ ISA card on Redhat 6.1 ---Please help

10. IRQ et al for Intel EtherExpress 16?

11. can't boot with EtherExpress PRO/10+

12. 'You're still guilty,' judge in Sun et al antitrust case tells MS

13. KSH93: keybinding '\E[1~' (et al.)?