RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

Post by Robert Hep » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

All,
Previously I installed Mandrake 6.0 and it booted directly to a
graphical prompt with choice of KDE or GNOME.  I've just installed (on
a dual 98 system) RH 6.1 3 times and during at least the last install
checked the option for graphical boot.  Instead I'm getting this
command prompt:

Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)
Kernel 2.2.12-20 on an i686

xxxxx login: _

when I type in root and the password I get this:

If I type anything at this point it says:  command not found

How do I get to X Window and GNOME??

Thanks in Advance,
Robert

RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

Post by Robert Hep » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

According to Red Hat:

4.12 Graphical Login button doesn't work during installation
Problem:

During the installation process, if you selected graphical login and
either the customize button or test this configuration button, Red Hat
Linux will start in text console mode rather than the graphical
environment.

Fix:

If you haven't already installed, use the latest boot images from
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/errata/RHEA1999045-01.html. If
you've already installed, reboot, and at the boot: prompt, type linux
single. Then edit your /etc/inittab and change this line:

              id:3:initdefault:

              id:5:initdefault:

Save your changes and type: shutdown -r now. On reboot, your system
will be in the graphical environment

OK, so I've quickly typed in linux single at the boot:  prompt

what's next??  I tried typing /etc/inittab but it said something like
denied.  Can someone explain a little clearer (step by step) to change
this line.  Thanks!
Robert

Post by EXCHANGE:HAL02:HM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> what's next??  I tried typing /etc/inittab but it said something like
> denied.  Can someone explain a little clearer (step by step) to change
> this line.  Thanks!
> Robert

Hi,
This should get you going...where I want you to type commands I will put
then in ' chars - you dont actually type the ' chars ;-)

Type 'vi /etc/inittab' - you do not need to be in single user mode to do
this - except if your machine has lots of users you want off the system
whilst you perform your sysadmin tasks - Linux showing its
multi-user-on-large machine origins.

Use your cursor keys  and page down/up keys to locate the string
id:3:initdefault:

Place the cursor on the 3
Type 'r5'
That should replace the 3  with a 5

then type ':wq'

That should write the file and exit vi

When you reboot you should be in 'graphical login mode' which personally
I don't like. You can always put the 3 back in ;-)

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             CSIP Demonstrator

Telephone: +44 (1279) 402363            London Rd, Harlow,
Fax:       +44 (1279) 402885            Essex CM17 9NA,
                                        United Kingdom.

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

Post by TurkBe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>According to Red Hat:

>4.12 Graphical Login button doesn't work during installation
>Problem:

>During the installation process, if you selected graphical login and
>either the customize button or test this configuration button, Red Hat
>Linux will start in text console mode rather than the graphical
>environment.

>Fix:

>If you haven't already installed, use the latest boot images from
>http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/errata/RHEA1999045-01.html. If
>you've already installed, reboot, and at the boot: prompt, type linux
>single. Then edit your /etc/inittab and change this line:

>              id:3:initdefault:

>              id:5:initdefault:

>Save your changes and type: shutdown -r now. On reboot, your system
>will be in the graphical environment

>OK, so I've quickly typed in linux single at the boot:  prompt

>what's next??  I tried typing /etc/inittab but it said something like
>denied.  Can someone explain a little clearer (step by step) to change
>this line.  Thanks!
>Robert

At the prompt, type vi /etc/inittab

This will open inittab in the vi editor and you can make your changes and save
it ...read the vi docs first, if you haven't used this editor before - it is not
intuitive...

RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

Post by Robert Hep » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>According to Red Hat:

>>4.12 Graphical Login button doesn't work during installation
>>Problem:

>>During the installation process, if you selected graphical login and
>>either the customize button or test this configuration button, Red Hat
>>Linux will start in text console mode rather than the graphical
>>environment.

>>Fix:

>>If you haven't already installed, use the latest boot images from
>>http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/errata/RHEA1999045-01.html. If
>>you've already installed, reboot, and at the boot: prompt, type linux
>>single. Then edit your /etc/inittab and change this line:

>>              id:3:initdefault:

>>              id:5:initdefault:

>>Save your changes and type: shutdown -r now. On reboot, your system
>>will be in the graphical environment

>>OK, so I've quickly typed in linux single at the boot:  prompt

>>what's next??  I tried typing /etc/inittab but it said something like
>>denied.  Can someone explain a little clearer (step by step) to change
>>this line.  Thanks!
>>Robert

>At the prompt, type vi /etc/inittab

>This will open inittab in the vi editor and you can make your changes and save
>it ...read the vi docs first, if you haven't used this editor before - it is not
>intuitive...

Thanks for the info., I got into the vi editor, but can you tell me
where the vi docs are located and what I could use to read them?  Or
what steps are necessary to change that line.  I moved the curser to
where the 3 was deleted it, but couldn't type 5.  Neither the 5 key at
the top of the keyboard nor the 5 key in the keypad would enter a
value.  thanks,
Robert

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Thanks for the info., I got into the vi editor, but can you tell me
>where the vi docs are located and what I could use to read them?  Or
>what steps are necessary to change that line.  I moved the curser to
>where the 3 was deleted it, but couldn't type 5.  Neither the 5 key at
>the top of the keyboard nor the 5 key in the keypad would enter a
>value.  thanks,

For now try run "startx" at the command prompt.  Or "init 5".

As for vi:  you move the cursor to where you want to replace the
character, hit 'r', hit '5', type "ZZ" or ":wq", or ":x", or ":w :q".

--
Villy

RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

Post by John O'Donohu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

To fire up X window

type 'startx' at command prompt.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[...]

Quote:>Thanks for the info., I got into the vi editor, but can you tell me
>where the vi docs are located and what I could use to read them?  Or
>what steps are necessary to change that line.  I moved the curser to
>where the 3 was deleted it, but couldn't type 5.  Neither the 5 key at
>the top of the keyboard nor the 5 key in the keypad would enter a
>value.  thanks,

It's probably actually 'vim', an improved vi clone. There is extensive
vim documentation included. Type ': help' or ':help <topic>' where <topic> is
something 'change' or whatever. This documentation takes a little
getting used to as it is isn't particularly intuitve.

To insert text, press <Insert> key. Now you are in an editing mode. To
save and exit with: ':wq!'.  Vim is extremely configurable, but a little
dense right out of the box. You can create a ~/.vimrc to customize it to
your liking: ':help options'.

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

Post by Robert Hep » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Villy,
Thanks!  that worked, now the mouse is acting up.  I'm using a MS
Intellimouse, and selected it during install, but as soon as I go to
use it it goes to the upper right corner and I can see part of a menu.
When I move the mouse it's movement is erractic and the menu comes and
goes.  It's behavior is similar to a incorrect driver in Windows.  I'm
going to reinstall chosing a general mouse setting.  Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Robert