Linux PPP - Xwindows Connection Not Being Passed -??

Linux PPP - Xwindows Connection Not Being Passed -??

Post by Patrick Killi » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello All,

I have a question about Linux and PPP in relation to XWindows.

I am trying to get Xwindows apps off of local machines to
run on my desktop when I am logged in.   Here is how I
have been able to get it to work in..... Gulp... Ms-Windows

Okay.....

With an MS-Windows Xwindows emulator:

1)      I dial into the Computer Science PPP server.
2)      I log into one of the local Sparc Machines.
3)      I then shell to the same Sparc machne again.
4)      I notice the "port" that that machine says I last logged into.
        It is the one I am currently logged into
5)      Kill the shell.
6)      setenv DISPLAY "port:0.0"   ("usually tfia0x:0.0")
7)      I can now run Xwindows apps and it sends the display back to
        my local desktop.

I would like to do the same thing under Linux.

I am currently running Linux 1.2.1 / XFree86 3.1.2 / and pppd.
I have everything configured to get a successful PPP login with
pppd and chat.

UNDER LINUX:

1)      I dial into the Computer Science PPP server.
2)      I log into one of the local Sparc Machines.
3)      I then shell to the same Sparc machne again.
4)      I notice the "port" that that machine says I last logged into.
        It is the one I am currently logged into
5)      Kill the shell.
6)      setenv DISPLAY "port:0.0"   ("usually tfia0x:0.0")

7)      I get some weird error message about how the server Xlib denied
        access.  Is this the remote machine denying access or my Linux
        machine.   Is this a security issue?   How do I fix it so that it
        will allow me to run Xwindows apps?

Thanks for your help,

Patrick Killion

Post by Alan Wi » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Hello All,

: I have a question about Linux and PPP in relation to XWindows.

: UNDER LINUX:

: 7)    I get some weird error message about how the server Xlib denied

Try:

  7) xhost <address of Sparc machine>

i.e. xhost starbase.spd.louisville.edu for me.

It's is a "weird security thing". . . you're own.  You haven't given the
sparc permissions to send programs to your Xserver.

-Alan
--

-*-Alan Wild "Speed News Guy" WWW:http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~arwild01/-*-

*thissignaturewaswrittentosavebandwidth.ifyoucanreadthisyouneedtoseeaneyedr.*

1. passing more than one ip across a ppp connection

| I am running linux 1.2.13 as an up and running internet mail and dns
| server.  I want to pass more than one ip to a ppp conection ie supply
| 10 or 20 ips to an office.  Please help

You can buy a 5 bit subnet from your IP supplier and set your PPP
machine to do routing for the local net. That's the easy way. You
can get and install masquerade code to allow use of many facilities
from the local net, as long as the connections originate inside.

I ran this for a while, it's great for security, it leaves something
to be desired for convenience, since in the real world things do
want to make incoming connections, and if you don't have routing for
the internal addresses they won't work.

Those are the choices, other posters will undoubtedly tell you that
one or the other is the only way worth considering...
--

Behavioral scientists at Harvard University have proven that there
are six things a man must do to keep a woman happy. They have also

2. Iomega Dittomax pro Mounting

3. ppp will not change to "PPP" after connection/authentication???

4. Color Configuration

5. LINUX<(nullmodem)>Mac PPP connection; LINUX as PPP-server

6. PC Netlink Going away?

7. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

8. the specified scripts was not running at specified time in crontab

9. 43935560///old pass word will not work what is my pass word?????

10. Configuring Linux on a permanent (not PPP) Connection to Internet

11. $1 passed; $2 not passed

12. Q: Why am I getting "Sorry - PPP is not available on this system"?????

13. Linux, PPP and PPP Connection