Ethernet Trouble

Post by Michael L. Dre » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

I have three machines running 2.0.30. All three machines lock up
when I flood ping them ( ping -f ) and then do something that causes
some local disk I/O.

Two of the machines are Magitronic PCI 486Dx4-100 and the other is a
generic P100 clone. I really thought upgrading from 2.0.17 would fix
this probelm but it didn't. I also see the problem if I run 1.2.13!

I have tried DEC Tulip and AMD Lance ethernet cards and the results have
been the same.... I have tried all manner of BIOS settings (cache
disable, etc) with no luck!

Three out of four times a RESET will bring them back. Other times the
hard drive is nuked (partition table gone).

I am just about out of clues and would love to get some more.

Please email!

Thanks,

Mike

1. Sound and ethernet troubles

I have been toying with linux now for a few months and have been perpetually
running into some problems.  I first installed RH5.0, and because of an
inability to get the network working correctly I was forced to downgrade to
RH4.2.  However, I recently did a complete overhaul of my machine, which
caused me to have to reinstall linux.  At the advice of a friend I decided
to try 5.0 again.

This time 5.0 worked perfectly, until last weekend.  During the upgrade
process, I was forced to replace my sound card because of an unresolvable
hardware conflict in win 95.  I just got the sound card this past weekend.
Upon installing it, the network was gone in linux.  I have tried recompiling
the kernel to add support for the sound card, but this did not help.  I am
at a total loss as to what to try next.

Here is a little information that might help:
Sound Card:  Sound Blaster AWE 64
Ethernet card:  3-COM 3C509B (ISA)
Kernel version:  2.0.33
I am using the drivers that came with the kernel to run the sound card, but
I have downloaded the most recent drivers for the ethernet card.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Steven D. Hurst
Georgia Institute of Technology

2. Printer problem

3. Ethernet trouble

4. trouble retreiving mail from popper

5. Ethernet troubles

6. oops! on drivers/built-in.o to build bzImage

7. network card goes to sleep

8. Realtek RTL8129 Ethernet troubles

9. PCMCIA D-Link DRP-16CT Combo Ethernet trouble

10. NE2000 Ethernet trouble

11. UMax j700 ethernet trouble

12. PCMCIA ETHERNET TROUBLES