Backspace and delete doesn't work in vi whilst in nxterm

Backspace and delete doesn't work in vi whilst in nxterm

Post by Victor Hwan » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Well, it sort of works: the keys erase whatever I type DURING the
session handily, but when I try to erase anything that has been saved,
such as config files, the cursor doesn't budge.  This is true of both
delete and backspace.  I've tried turning numlock on and off but that
does nothing.  I also tried the fix suggested within the config-HOWTO,
but that also did not work.  In fact, creating a .xinitrc file in my
home directory sent X back to bash everytime until I finally deleted it
and put the lines into the new.xinitrc file (I'm using RH 5.2).
Unfortunately, the backspace and delete key still didn't do what they
were supposed to in the nxterm (and even kterm) shells.  Any solutions?
This problem is so frustrating, that surely somebody has to have fixed
it by now:).

Thanks.

--
Victor Hwang

!To reply remove SPAMBLaST!
He shall overcome

Post by Colin Watso » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> >Well, it sort of works: the keys erase whatever I type DURING the
> >session handily, but when I try to erase anything that has been saved,
> >such as config files, the cursor doesn't budge.  This is true of both
> >delete and backspace.

> That's how the backspace works in vi.  You can use it to erase anything you
> are typing in while in insert mode, but you can't use it to erase anything
> else.  (Though I've seen at least one vi clone that lets you do it.)

In vim (which is frequently the vi supplied with Linux systems
anyway), typing ':set bs=2' in command mode will get you this
behaviour, as will putting a line 'set bs=2' (no quotes on either of
those, obviously) in your ~/.vimrc.

Otherwise, d<motion>, x, and the various other key commands are your
friends. Read the :h help.

Colin
--
"Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both
 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." - Usenet Rule #17

Backspace and delete doesn't work in vi whilst in nxterm

Post by Jürgen Exne » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Well, it sort of works: the keys erase whatever I type DURING the
> session handily, but when I try to erase anything that has been saved,
> such as config files, the cursor doesn't budge.  This is true of both
> delete and backspace.  I've tried turning numlock on and off but that

That's how vi works, nothing wrong with your keys.
Use the "x" character to "cross-out" (aka delete) characters while not in
the insert mode.

BTW: just to start another editor war: this is one more reason not to use
vi.

jue
--
Jrgen Exner

1. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

I've got a 2.0.0 kernel with IP accounting enabled and successfully
installed some rules with

# ipfwadm -A -i -S other.system.in.domain -D other.system.in.domain

If other.system.in.domain is within the same subnet as my linux box itself
everything's fine. However - I need that accounting for my PPP dial-ins
and there I run into the effect that

# ipfwadm -A -l

always gives me a 0 traffic indication :-(

I'm not sure, but the reason might be that my PPP dial-ins are not within
the same subnet as  the linux system and that their routing's beeing
enabled by DIP right after the connection's been established.

Does someone have an idea what I could do to get that traffic counted ??

Thanks.

Ingo

(President - Geschaeftsfuehrer)

2. Disabling IPMP Permanently on a box?

3. how do 'plug-ins' work?

4. Trying to setup a boot disk for linux 1.2.3/non-system disk error

5. backspace delete doesn't work with some prompts

6. Hard drives, which are better?

8. (?) Why different 'colors' on different logins?

9. Backspace doesn't work in vi !

10. Backspace doesn't work properly in vi ?

11. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

12. BackSpace at 'login:' doesn't work