Maxtor UDMA and Redhat install failures

Post by NivRa » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

A guy posted a thread not more than a couple of weeks ago describing his
installation woes while trying to put RedHat on a Maxtor UDMA drive.  He
said he had no problems putting other Distro's on the same drive, or
installing Redhat on a smaller non-UDMA maxtor drive.  I can't get RedHat to
install for anything, and I'm running a Maxtor 5.4G UDMA drive.  Anyone else
hear of or have the same problems?

Thanks

--
NivRaC
ICQ: 9534116

Post by Bob Nix » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>A guy posted a thread not more than a couple of weeks ago describing his
>installation woes while trying to put RedHat on a Maxtor UDMA drive.  He
>said he had no problems putting other Distro's on the same drive, or
>installing Redhat on a smaller non-UDMA maxtor drive.  I can't get RedHat to
>install for anything, and I'm running a Maxtor 5.4G UDMA drive.  Anyone else
>hear of or have the same problems?

>Thanks

It was me. What brand mother board/ CPU are you sporting. Mine is a
MSI MS-5169/K6-2 100Mhz bus, or kind of an odd one. If this is any
help, I'm using an ALi M5229 PCI Bus MAster IDE controller under
windows & theHD's were Maxtor UDMA 8.4 & 5.7GB drives. I haven't tried
it any more, as my Email responses implied, it wouldn't work without a
newer 2.0.35 kernel. Something about an IDE controller mismatch. Oh
well, My Caldera box is working great & easier to set load up than
those RedHat 'troll tech haters'anyway <G>

Good luck & maybe give Base 1.2  a try.

http://members.home.net/bigrex/