networking Linux/Win95

Post by Geyse » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I installed a 10Base-T network at my house a few months ago.  My computer
is a P90 24MB RAM, Linux Slackware 2.3.0, 1 roommate has P100/16MB RAM
Win95, other roommate has Cyrix 5x86/120 with 12MB RAM.  I wrote a C
program to keep the computer constantly dialed up to my ISP (basically
looks every 5 min to see it ppp0 is still up, if not, starts a new link
and then makes sure it went through).  This network works flawlessly for
transferring data btwn the computers.  As for accessing the internet,
they must first telnet to my computer...and then to the internet.  Is
there a way I can set up my computer (or theirs) to allow them to telnet
directly to the internet?

Thanks in advance...
Ryan

networking Linux/Win95

Post by hilik stei » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I installed a 10Base-T network at my house a few months ago.  My computer
> is a P90 24MB RAM, Linux Slackware 2.3.0, 1 roommate has P100/16MB RAM
> Win95, other roommate has Cyrix 5x86/120 with 12MB RAM.  I wrote a C
> program to keep the computer constantly dialed up to my ISP (basically
> looks every 5 min to see it ppp0 is still up, if not, starts a new link
> and then makes sure it went through).  This network works flawlessly for
> transferring data btwn the computers.  As for accessing the internet,
> they must first telnet to my computer...and then to the internet.  Is
> there a way I can set up my computer (or theirs) to allow them to telnet
> directly to the internet?

> Thanks in advance...
> Ryan

hi
i havent tried it yet, but i have seen it run:
1. you must compile your kernel to support IP forwarding and
gatewaying, masquareding should also be there.
2. you must configure your computer to do proxy arp for the
computers connected to your linux machine.
3. assign them IP's.

only flow in this plan is that by default the terminal servers of
the ISP you dial to have proxy arp disabled.

enjoy

hilik stein

networking Linux/Win95

Post by Harrison Berger » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

 >I installed a 10Base-T network at my house a few months ago.  My computer
 >is a P90 24MB RAM, Linux Slackware 2.3.0, 1 roommate has P100/16MB RAM
 >Win95, other roommate has Cyrix 5x86/120 with 12MB RAM.  I wrote a C
 >program to keep the computer constantly dialed up to my ISP (basically
 >looks every 5 min to see it ppp0 is still up, if not, starts a new link
 >and then makes sure it went through).  This network works flawlessly for
 >transferring data btwn the computers.  As for accessing the internet,
 >they must first telnet to my computer...and then to the internet.  Is
 >there a way I can set up my computer (or theirs) to allow them to telnet
 >directly to the internet?
 >
 >Thanks in advance...
 >Ryan

        I haven't checked out ip-masquerading, but I believe that
        is your option. As for a strightforward, use-your-linux-as
        a-router solution, the answer is no. In order for that to
        work, your ISP would have to have his machines set up to
        agree to forward packets bound for the network you defined
        on the other side of your dialup connection, or at least
        not prevent it. In order to act as a router, you need two
        network addresses, not two ip addresses. Your provider is
        probably unlikely to agree on this, and you also can't
        simply make up an address. Also, what I've done to keep
        my line open is simply run routed -g -s. Then it sits and
        converses with the gateway router, passing rip packets
        every minute or two.

--

    Steinberger:
State of the Instrument

networking Linux/Win95

Post by David Co » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

If you MUST have the Linux box directly connected to the modem, and
then to the 'Net, then I can't help you.  If you can spare a Win95 box
for that purpose, WinGate will work nicely.  Then, you'd make Wingate
(or rather, the IP address of the Wingate Win95 box) your DNS and your
gateway under your Linux box, and then you'd be able to use any
(rather, the vast majority) of apps on your Linux box to hit the
Internet, *assuming* they'll pass through a proxy.  Netscape and most
FTP programs should be able to do so easily.

> >I installed a 10Base-T network at my house a few months ago.  My computer
> >is a P90 24MB RAM, Linux Slackware 2.3.0, 1 roommate has P100/16MB RAM
> >Win95, other roommate has Cyrix 5x86/120 with 12MB RAM.  I wrote a C
> >program to keep the computer constantly dialed up to my ISP (basically
> >looks every 5 min to see it ppp0 is still up, if not, starts a new link
> >and then makes sure it went through).  This network works flawlessly for
> >transferring data btwn the computers.  As for accessing the internet,
> >they must first telnet to my computer...and then to the internet.  Is
> >there a way I can set up my computer (or theirs) to allow them to telnet
> >directly to the internet?

> >Thanks in advance...
> >Ryan

>    I haven't checked out ip-masquerading, but I believe that
>    is your option. As for a strightforward, use-your-linux-as
>    a-router solution, the answer is no. In order for that to
>    work, your ISP would have to have his machines set up to
>    agree to forward packets bound for the network you defined
>    on the other side of your dialup connection, or at least
>    not prevent it. In order to act as a router, you need two
>    network addresses, not two ip addresses. Your provider is
>    probably unlikely to agree on this, and you also can't
>    simply make up an address. Also, what I've done to keep
>    my line open is simply run routed -g -s. Then it sits and
>    converses with the gateway router, passing rip packets
>    every minute or two.

>--

>    Steinberger:
>State of the Instrument

1. Network Linux - Win95 possibly by direct cable connection

HELP THE NEWBIE!

Is there an easy way (say via Direct-Cable [i.e. null-modem]) to file
share between Linux and Win95? I have an older version of Slackware on
CD, but needed to DL the latest version to install on my linux box. I'm
getting _very_ sick of swappin' floppies between the two computers and
would like to put the 20 odd X-Window files (X-files?) onto the linux
computer via network if possible. If it can be done, how? PPP, SLiRP,
IPX, TCP/IP, or what?

As is apparent, I'm a big-time linux newbie (with only one ethernet card
between two computers), so any help either from a linux.god (or
linux.demigod) if such a being exists, would be greatly appreciated be
it by FAQ, by hyperlink, by lengthy email :), or by divine inspiration.

Thanks!

Pete DiVerde

2. LINUX and MS PROXY SERVER...

3. TCP/IP Peer to Peer Network Linux WIN95

4. Tar segmentation fault

5. network freeze when adding win95 laptop to Linux/Win95 network

6. HELP! computer won't boot off floppy

7. can't see Win95 shares through Linux to Win95 network

8. Root Password

9. Files for installing a networked NeXT laser printer under Win95 (Was: Black Next 2.2 + Linux != networking?)

10. NEWBE - Trying to install network card in Linux on win95 network

11. samba: win95->linux works, linux->win95 doesnt

12. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

13. PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux