Windows NT

Post by Douglas Ritsche » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I tried to install Windows NT on a machine that already had Linux on it.
The first partition on the disk was marked as FAT32, and reserved for
Windows 95. LILO was installed in the Master Boot Record. I decided to
put Windows NT 4.0 on the machine rather that Windows 95. So I booted
off of the Windows NT CD and selected to delete the FAT32 Partition and
create a Fat partition. After the partition was created, the NT Install
program displaed a message that it needed to re-boot. Upon re-booting,
NT was not able to format the FAT16 Partition. I booted the machine off
of the RedHat Linux CD, and went into Linux's FDISK. FDISK reported a
lot of errors, such as "Partition doesn't end on cylinder boundary".

I do no have a copy of the MBR for this machine.

Windows NT

Post by Richard Huan » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Last time I checked, NT can not coexist with Linux.  Linux Kernal must
reside within first 1024 cylinder due the limition of BIOS. Well, I could
be wrong. it may not be the reason

Hope this helps

Quote:> I tried to install Windows NT on a machine that already had Linux on it.
> The first partition on the disk was marked as FAT32, and reserved for
> Windows 95. LILO was installed in the Master Boot Record. I decided to
> put Windows NT 4.0 on the machine rather that Windows 95. So I booted
> off of the Windows NT CD and selected to delete the FAT32 Partition and
> create a Fat partition. After the partition was created, the NT Install
> program displaed a message that it needed to re-boot. Upon re-booting,
> NT was not able to format the FAT16 Partition. I booted the machine off
> of the RedHat Linux CD, and went into Linux's FDISK. FDISK reported a
> lot of errors, such as "Partition doesn't end on cylinder boundary".

> I do no have a copy of the MBR for this machine.

Windows NT

Post by Sebastian Dransfel » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

You're wrong. I've had linux, win95 and NT on one machine.

What you need is a dos systemdisk. Write fdisk /mbr. Now install NT. Then
get bootpart, which makes linux popup in nt-loader, or reinstall lilo.

--
Sebastian

Windows NT

Post by mark » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

NT and Linux can co-exist. I have win95, NT and Linux on the same box.
My first drive is 3G and is partitioned into 3 parts in this order
<1G Linux - primary partition
<1G Win95 16bit FAT - primary partition
1+G shared space. 16bin FAT - extended partition - logical drive

NT is installed along with win95 - done.

lilo is dual boot. - linux,dos
then NT is dual boot. - win95,NT

all drives can be mounted under linux.

NTFS drives are unreadable by linux as yet.
FAT32 drives are unreadable by NT. te he.
FAT16 is the choice.
NT can only share NTFS drives with appletalk.

-Mark

> Last time I checked, NT can not coexist with Linux.  Linux Kernal must
> reside within first 1024 cylinder due the limition of BIOS. Well, I could
> be wrong. it may not be the reason

> Hope this helps

> > I tried to install Windows NT on a machine that already had Linux on it.
> > The first partition on the disk was marked as FAT32, and reserved for
> > Windows 95. LILO was installed in the Master Boot Record. I decided to
> > put Windows NT 4.0 on the machine rather that Windows 95. So I booted
> > off of the Windows NT CD and selected to delete the FAT32 Partition and
> > create a Fat partition. After the partition was created, the NT Install
> > program displaed a message that it needed to re-boot. Upon re-booting,
> > NT was not able to format the FAT16 Partition. I booted the machine off
> > of the RedHat Linux CD, and went into Linux's FDISK. FDISK reported a
> > lot of errors, such as "Partition doesn't end on cylinder boundary".

> > I do no have a copy of the MBR for this machine.

Windows NT

Post by Douglas Ritsche » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

If I re-install LILO, will it recognize the original Linux partitions?
Currently,
when I use Linux's FDISK to print out the partition table, I get a lot
of errors.
For example:

Partition has different physical/logical beginnings. (non-linux?)
Partition has different physical/logical endings
Parttion does not end on cylinder boundary.

I get these messages for every partition.

> You're wrong. I've had linux, win95 and NT on one machine.

> What you need is a dos systemdisk. Write fdisk /mbr. Now install NT. Then
> get bootpart, which makes linux popup in nt-loader, or reinstall lilo.

> > Last time I checked, NT can not coexist with Linux.  Linux Kernal must
> > reside within first 1024 cylinder due the limition of BIOS. Well, I could
> > be wrong. it may not be the reason

> > Hope this helps

> > > I tried to install Windows NT on a machine that already had Linux on it.
> > > The first partition on the disk was marked as FAT32, and reserved for
> > > Windows 95. LILO was installed in the Master Boot Record. I decided to
> > > put Windows NT 4.0 on the machine rather that Windows 95. So I booted
> > > off of the Windows NT CD and selected to delete the FAT32 Partition and
> > > create a Fat partition. After the partition was created, the NT Install
> > > program displaed a message that it needed to re-boot. Upon re-booting,
> > > NT was not able to format the FAT16 Partition. I booted the machine off
> > > of the RedHat Linux CD, and went into Linux's FDISK. FDISK reported a
> > > lot of errors, such as "Partition doesn't end on cylinder boundary".

> > > I do no have a copy of the MBR for this machine.

> --
> Sebastian

Windows NT

Post by Neil Ricke » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>If I re-install LILO, will it recognize the original Linux partitions?
>Currently,
>when I use Linux's FDISK to print out the partition table, I get a lot
>of errors.
>For example:
>Partition has different physical/logical beginnings. (non-linux?)
>Partition has different physical/logical endings
>Parttion does not end on cylinder boundary.
>I get these messages for every partition.

You have a serious problem.  Most likely the geometry you are using
for the disk is different from the geometry used when originally
partitioned.

Perhaps you were once using disk manager software to allow your
system to deal with large disks.  If so, you may need to reinstall
that software.