Another ATAPI CD-Rom Detection Problem

Post by twhi » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

My 4XCD-Rom is actually a Goldstar GCD-R540B ATAPI complient drive on my
second IDE interface (SB 16), the interface is detected however the CD is not.

It is jumped to Master, I've recompiled the Kernel, I've passed cdrom=hdc at
boot time, and ran the MAKEDEV.ide1 script to remap the nodes in /dev.

I've also tried loading DOS drivers previous to booting linux, and not loading
them, both unsuccessful.

I'm beginning to think that it is simply not supported. But if anybody has any
tricks or suggestions or would like to write some driver extensions to support
Creative labs IDE packages, contact me PLEASE!!

Thanx for all replies.

Tim

Post by Florian Loho » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: My 4XCD-Rom is actually a Goldstar GCD-R540B ATAPI complient drive on my
: second IDE interface (SB 16), the interface is detected however the CD is not.

Are you shure that you need the IDE drivers not the SB CD Driver ?

Flo
--

Voice: +49-5241-340796  Data: +49-5241-3286/7/8/9 337180/1
Privates Internet Ostwestfalen-Lippe, Guetersloh - http://www.gt.owl.de

Post by W. Paul Mil » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>My 4XCD-Rom is actually a Goldstar GCD-R540B ATAPI complient drive on my
>second IDE interface (SB 16), the interface is detected however the CD is not.

Are you sure it is the second IDE interface? The default SB 16 strapping is
to be the third interface. Also note that the third interface is not
supported in 1.2.xx kernels. Restrap your board, and it should work fine.

Quote:>It is jumped to Master, I've recompiled the Kernel, I've passed cdrom=hdc at
>boot time, and ran the MAKEDEV.ide1 script to remap the nodes in /dev.

--
 ----------------  http://www.tyrell.net/~wpmills/  ----------------
: W. Paul Mills          : Compiler Bug: Any action of the compiler :

: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
 --------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------

Another ATAPI CD-Rom Detection Problem

Post by Walter B Kulecz P » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>My 4XCD-Rom is actually a Goldstar GCD-R540B ATAPI complient drive on my
>second IDE interface (SB 16), the interface is detected however the CD is not.

>It is jumped to Master, I've recompiled the Kernel, I've passed cdrom=hdc at

                                                                 ^^^^^^^^^

Don't know if this will help but my lilo append line had to be:

cdrom=/dev/hdc

I've found the syntax of "appends" very unforgiving and the only "error
message" seems to be the device don't work :-(

--wally.

Post by Jeremy L. Rosenberge » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> My 4XCD-Rom is actually a Goldstar GCD-R540B ATAPI complient drive on my
> second IDE interface (SB 16), the interface is detected however the CD is not.

> It is jumped to Master, I've recompiled the Kernel, I've passed cdrom=hdc at
> boot time, and ran the MAKEDEV.ide1 script to remap the nodes in /dev.

That ought to read, "hdc=cdrom"... I hope that's what you meant.  If not, give that a try.  Also try
hdb=cdrom or hdd=cdrom.

I assume you're using a kernel with IDE CD-ROM support..?

Good luck,
Jeremy

Post by BARDOU Jean-Fran?o » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>says...

>>My 4XCD-Rom is actually a Goldstar GCD-R540B ATAPI complient drive on my
>>second IDE interface (SB 16), the interface is detected however the CD is not.

below, an answer I received recently about the GCD540 Cd drive :

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 00:28:08 -0500 (CDT)

Subject: Linux-FT rev1.1 and Goldstar 540 ide install

   hdb: cdrom_read_from_buffer:buffer botch(75)
   end_requests: I/O error, dev0340,sector 75

buffer botch is known to be fixed in 1.3 kernels.  I have the 540, and
1.3.12 solved the problem for me.

Hope this help

1. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

Okay, I have been out of this group for some time, and now am
getting setup as a ISP (Internet Service Provider).  I was going to
use Windows/NT but decided that linux offered just a much with very
little start-up cost, as far as server software goes.
I was wondering if someone could spend a couple of minutes to save
me some time.  I read the CD-ROM howto, and am somewhat perplexed
on getting my "Que" Special Editon-Using Linux CD-ROM to be
accepted for installation.  I used the "fips" to make a partition
(250meg) just for the swap/native part of linxu.  But can't get the
setup utility to recognize my cd-rom, it's a "ACER"
Quad/600kb/250ms and uses the IDE/ATAPI interface (connects to the
motherboard, not the Sound-Card).  Is there some way to install off
of the cd-rom or am I going to be forced to do it with floppies?
Thanks for any info.
I'll scan this group for a reply, or if you want, send info on
e-mail.

--

   A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure.

2. simple X applet for network monitoring

3. Finally got ATAPI ZIP working with ATAPI CD-ROM

4. Chenging Console font

5. problem reading cd - sco install using ATAPI cd-rom drive

6. Initial console problem

7. Geode MediaGX CD-ROM detection problem

8. Still havin problems

9. 2.6 x86 CD-ROM detection problem

10. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

11. Problems w/ ATAPI CD-ROM install

12. 1.1.81 and Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM problems

13. Problem Mounting ATAPI CD-ROM