RealAudio -- Why not off the net?

Post by Bill Bohlin » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[snip]
> I tried the first site at <http://www.wrn.org/stations/abc.html>, I got
> "sh: raplayer/tmp/M0340EE0EC0FD0869.ram: no such file or directory"
> from Netscape 3.0. In my NS mailcap file I have
> "audio/x-pn-realaudio; raplayer %s" and in my mime.types, I have
[snip]
> Any suggestions? Trying a later bash seems like a thought, but as so
> much is dependent on it, I do that with a bit of trepadation. But,
> with the "sh" error, it would seems like a shell problem. The
> "raplayer/tmp/M0340EE0EC0FD0869.ram" sure looks odd; I wonder if it
> trying to create a file named raplayer/tmp/XYZ.ram. I didn't see any
> M034...ram file in /tmp.

I just had the same problem a few minutes ago.  The actual "bug" is in
the raplayer README.FIRST file, which tells you to put "raplayer%s" in
the Application box in General Preferences:Helpers under your Netscape
Options.  What you need to have in there is "raplayer %s."  "%s" is the
parameter that raplayer takes, so without the space, bash is trying to
execute a command called "raplayer/tmp/M0340EE0EC0FD0869.ram" instead of
running raplayer on a file called
M0340EE0EC0FD0869.ram

Regards,
Bill
(and no, I didn't type out all those /tmp file names, that's what gpm is
for <g>)

The future is bright, fruitful and positive.
                                -Bob Marley

1. RealAudio -- Why not off the net?

: : I tried the first site at <http://www.wrn.org/stations/abc.html>, I got
: : "sh: raplayer/tmp/M0340EE0EC0FD0869.ram: no such file or directory"
: : from Netscape 3.0. In my NS mailcap file I have

: Your problem is that netscape is unable to find raplayer. It is very
: likely that the PATH that netscape is using does not contain raplayer.
: To verify this, simply start netscape from an xterm, instead of the WM
: menus.

Ah, thanks a bunch. It turned out to be something different; in my
NS mailcap, I had
    audio/x-pn-realaudio; raplayer%s

A space was needed before %s.

I had trouble catching it as I was changing /usr/local/lib/netscape/mailcap,
but had tried setting it with "Options:General Preferences:Helpers" where
I made the error. Not thinking hard, I didn't realize that they were
different (the "Options..." is in ~/.mailcap).

Thanks a lot,

        - Bill

P.S. Come to think of it, it makes a lot of sense to post ANSWERS so that
     services like DejaNews will pick it up. I find DejaNews more handy
     than many FAQs (and I write one myself)...

 (    |   Dept. of Econ. and International Business   office: (601) 266-4484
  )__*|   University of Southern Mississippi             fax: (601) 266-4920
    (_|   Southern Station, Box 5072
          Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5072

2. SCO v5 printing. How to disable banner on lpt0

3. halt does not power-off - why?

4. Problem with terminate child process.

5. Why don't I have /proc/net with net-2?

6. OS/2 TCIP/IP -> Linux -> Internet

7. Why lpq/w net does not work?

8. Got my site back up.

9. What are modules net-fs-4 and net-fs-5 and why are they missing?

10. RealPlayer RealAudio, Cannot locate RealAudio decoder

11. Realaudio and bandwidth issues, has anyone used Realaudio server?

12. (off-topic | not off-topic) implementation of built-in command time

13. error : module net-pf-4 and net-pf-5 not found????