Broken cdrom driver for sonycd535

Post by Jeremy Weinberge » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I would appreciate some advice in my mighty battle against the cdu535
cdrom driver. The driver fails when you attempt to mount the drive or
read data from it. Here's the error message I get:
Sony CDU-535 read_result_reg: TIME OUT!
Sony CDU-535 debug: calling spinup when reading data!
I can make it give me this error either by calling mount or dd
if=/dev/cdrom .
The driver appears to load correctly, either as a module or built into
the kernel- finds the hardware address & initializes okay. Furthermore,
I can read audio cds through the drive using xplaycd. To add to the
confusion, I installed redhat5.2 using the same cd drive. I know it's
not a hardware problem or a hardware conflict. The only thing that
appears to be causing a problem is the driver itself. I'm not sure what
to change in order to make this work. Ideas, anybody?

jeremy

--

Jeremy Weinberger
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA

Broken cdrom driver for sonycd535

Post by Bernd-Ulrich Adrig » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Jeremy,
did you check for IRQ or I/O address trouble?
did you try a different cable?
Getting it playing audio transfers commands to the cdrom,
but perhaps doesn't require DATA-transfer back to the computer.
(I don't know the program).

Bernd

>I would appreciate some advice in my mighty battle against the cdu535
>cdrom driver. The driver fails when you attempt to mount the drive or
>read data from it. Here's the error message I get:
>Sony CDU-535 read_result_reg: TIME OUT!
>Sony CDU-535 debug: calling spinup when reading data!
>I can make it give me this error either by calling mount or dd
>if=/dev/cdrom .
>The driver appears to load correctly, either as a module or built into
>the kernel- finds the hardware address & initializes okay. Furthermore,
>I can read audio cds through the drive using xplaycd. To add to the
>confusion, I installed redhat5.2 using the same cd drive. I know it's
>not a hardware problem or a hardware conflict. The only thing that
>appears to be causing a problem is the driver itself. I'm not sure what
>to change in order to make this work. Ideas, anybody?

>jeremy

>--

>Jeremy Weinberger
>Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA

Broken cdrom driver for sonycd535

Post by Jeremy Weinberge » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am almost certain that the hardware is okay. The same drive works under
dos & also can be accessed by the redhat upgrade/install program. The drive
is currently not configured in hardware to use irqs or dma, which is fine
because the driver is not written to support either. The driver does load at
the correct base address, matching the hardware jumper I'm using. It only
begins to fail when I try to mount the drive or read data from the raw
device with dd. I haven't tried using a different cable, but I seriously
doubt that's the problem. Any driver experts out there?

jeremy

> Hi Jeremy,
> did you check for IRQ or I/O address trouble?
> did you try a different cable?
> Getting it playing audio transfers commands to the cdrom,
> but perhaps doesn't require DATA-transfer back to the computer.
> (I don't know the program).

> Bernd

> >I would appreciate some advice in my mighty battle against the cdu535
> >cdrom driver. The driver fails when you attempt to mount the drive or
> >read data from it. Here's the error message I get:
> >Sony CDU-535 read_result_reg: TIME OUT!
> >Sony CDU-535 debug: calling spinup when reading data!
> >I can make it give me this error either by calling mount or dd
> >if=/dev/cdrom .
> >The driver appears to load correctly, either as a module or built into
> >the kernel- finds the hardware address & initializes okay. Furthermore,
> >I can read audio cds through the drive using xplaycd. To add to the
> >confusion, I installed redhat5.2 using the same cd drive. I know it's
> >not a hardware problem or a hardware conflict. The only thing that
> >appears to be causing a problem is the driver itself. I'm not sure what
> >to change in order to make this work. Ideas, anybody?

> >jeremy

> >--

> >Jeremy Weinberger
> >Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA

1. sonycd535 cdrom driver

I need some advice on how to get an old cd-rom to work under linux. I've
got a sony cdu-535 hooked up to my 486/50. I just installed 2.0.36 using
the redhat 5.2 distribution. The kernel on the boot disk was able to
recognize and use the cd-rom, because I installed from cd.. The
sonycd535 driver appears to load correctly on boot. The hardware base
address reported in the boot messages, 0x340, matches the hardware
setting. However, when I attempt to mount the cdrom, the driver gives me
the following error message:
Sony CDU-535 read_result_reg: TIME OUT!
Sony CDU-535 debug: calling spinup when reading data!

This message repeats itself 3-4 times, then finally quits, giving me
error messages about bad blocks on the cd. I am almost certain that this
is simply an artifact of the earlier error: the cd drive works under dos
with the same cd's, the cd i'm trying to read from was used successfully
to install linux. A hardware error is not indicated.

Does anyone know if there is a different version of the driver or
perhaps another parameter I can modify to fix this problem? This
*should* be a solvable problem, because the driver version built into
the redhat boot.img kernel was able to read my cd.

thanks much,
jeremy

2. 0.96c pl 2 bug prevents serial reconfiguration (solved)

3. Trivial: exit path cleanup in drivers/cdrom/sonycd535.c

4. HELP : Solaris 2.4 PPP, SecureID and dynamic IP address

5. FYI: [2.5 patch] let broken drivers depend on BROKEN

6. Gateway 2000 P5-90 system: Mouse problems--which type-HELP!!!!!

7. 3c59x broken in (vortex) driver broken in higher 2.0.x?

8. test!

9. C99 initializers for drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c

10. CDROM driver for EDEE CDROM

11. cdrom driver needed for hitache cdrom 4X please....

12. asy driver in Driver update 9 for Solaris x86 2.4 broken?

13. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken