Linux Reboot Problem

Post by JEREMY SWI » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

OK... I have an AMD 486DX4 100.  I have been running Linux on this machine
for a better part of 2 years.  The mother board and processor are about
the only thing that has remained consistant over these 2 years.  Well,
with every version of Linux I have had on this machine, none of them will
reboot the machine.  During the shutdown process everything goes just
fine, until it gets to the point when it needs to reboot (ie after stating
the words REBOOTING).  I am currently running kernel version 2.0.27.  If
anyone has any ideas for me PLEASE let me know... either by posting here
or by e-mailing me.  This is a VERY anoying problem, and I would like to
finally take care of it.

Thanks.

Jeremy Swift

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by Ia » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>OK... I have an AMD 486DX4 100.  I have been running Linux on this machine
>for a better part of 2 years.  The mother board and processor are about
>the only thing that has remained consistant over these 2 years.  Well,
>with every version of Linux I have had on this machine, none of them will
>reboot the machine.  During the shutdown process everything goes just
>fine, until it gets to the point when it needs to reboot (ie after stating
>the words REBOOTING).  I am currently running kernel version 2.0.27.  If
>anyone has any ideas for me PLEASE let me know... either by posting here
>or by e-mailing me.  This is a VERY anoying problem, and I would like to
>finally take care of it.

I have the same CPU and the same problem! The only thing that I think
*may* have effected shutdown on my system is that I changed the jumper
settings from enhanced to normal... to try and solve different problem.
I think shutdown was rebooting fine when the cpu was set as enhanced,
but now it does the same as yours. However, I also upgraded to 2.0.0 at
around the same time, so this may be a red herring.

If anyone has an answer, please post here... there must be more of us
with the same problem!

Ian.

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by Simon Dea » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> >OK... I have an AMD 486DX4 100.  I have been running Linux on this machine
> >for a better part of 2 years.  The mother board and processor are about
> >the only thing that has remained consistant over these 2 years.  Well,
> >with every version of Linux I have had on this machine, none of them will
> >reboot the machine.  During the shutdown process everything goes just
> >fine, until it gets to the point when it needs to reboot (ie after stating
> >the words REBOOTING).  I am currently running kernel version 2.0.27.  If
> >anyone has any ideas for me PLEASE let me know... either by posting here
> >or by e-mailing me.  This is a VERY anoying problem, and I would like to
> >finally take care of it.

> I have the same CPU and the same problem! The only thing that I think
> *may* have effected shutdown on my system is that I changed the jumper
> settings from enhanced to normal... to try and solve different problem.
> I think shutdown was rebooting fine when the cpu was set as enhanced,
> but now it does the same as yours. However, I also upgraded to 2.0.0 at
> around the same time, so this may be a red herring.

> If anyone has an answer, please post here... there must be more of us
> with the same problem!

> Ian.

Hey, Wow, I have an AMD DX4 100 Mhz too. Its a small world. I have the
same problem, but I installed Linux 96 (2.0.0) from scratch on my slave
drive. You do Ctrl-Alt-Del, it shuts down, says its rebooting, and then
doesnt.

Mind you, I think its better in a way, because then you have to press
reset.

Simon

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by Ernie Grael » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: >

: >
[...]

I've had a similar problem with my system. Its a P166 (intel) running
Slackware96, and when I reboot, the last thing you see on the screen is
Rebooting, then the screen goes blank and the system hangs. Funny thing
though, if I boot from the "boot floppies" the system reboots fine all
the time.  I have not yet had the guts to install LILO and am currently
booting the hard disk using loadlin.  A freind of mine thinks that it
could have something to do with my CMOS, that there is a problem with
the hardware init.

Oh well...just my two cents...
Ernie.

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by JEREMY SWI » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: : >

: : >
[...]

Ok... I have been doing some reading on dejanews and have come to the
conclusion that this happens with alot of AMD 484DX4 100 machines... but
it is due to motherboard compatiblity.  I haven't had the chance to play
with the jumper settings on my motherboard, but it sounds like we need to
have our motherboards set to a 66 Mhz chip and not a 100 Mhz chip.  I
really don't want to do this -- I would rather have the problem taken care
of from within Linux.  My DOS doesn't have a problem with it -- this makes
me wonder which signal DOS is sending and which signal Linux is sending to
get a reboot.  If anyone can give me leads on where I can find out about
the signals - let me know.

Still frustrated,

Jeremy

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by Kelly R Joyne » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

do ya'll have trouble rebooting only when you do, ctrl-alt-del, or
when you do 'shutdown', 'reboot', 'fastboot', and/or 'init 6' also?

i (and a coupla friends) have had problems with redhat* on
the three finger salute, but....
                                                        kelly

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by Ernie Grael » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: do ya'll have trouble rebooting only when you do, ctrl-alt-del, or
: when you do 'shutdown', 'reboot', 'fastboot', and/or 'init 6' also?

: i (and a coupla friends) have had problems with redhat* on
: the three finger salute, but....
:                                                       kelly
For me P166 & slackware96 it hangs every way, but only when I boot
from the harddrive with loadlin. If I boot using "boot floppies"
using the same kernal as on my HD it works every time...
I'm stumped... I have not yet tried lilo but am curious to see
what happens when I do. I'll post my results here.

Ernie.

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by JEREMY SWI » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: : do ya'll have trouble rebooting only when you do, ctrl-alt-del, or
: : when you do 'shutdown', 'reboot', 'fastboot', and/or 'init 6' also?

: : i (and a coupla friends) have had problems with redhat* on
: : the three finger salute, but....
: :                                                     kelly
: For me P166 & slackware96 it hangs every way, but only when I boot
: from the harddrive with loadlin. If I boot using "boot floppies"
: using the same kernal as on my HD it works every time...
: I'm stumped... I have not yet tried lilo but am curious to see
: what happens when I do. I'll post my results here.

: Ernie.

It hangs for me on all of the options that reboot the machine... (halt
will not reboot the machine, so that works fine)... I use lilo to boot...
I don't see where the boot manager would make a difference, but who can
know.

Jeremy

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by Bill Oswal » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> : : do ya'll have trouble rebooting only when you do, ctrl-alt-del, or
> : : when you do 'shutdown', 'reboot', 'fastboot', and/or 'init 6' also?

> : : i (and a coupla friends) have had problems with redhat* on
> : : the three finger salute, but....
> : :                                                     kelly
> : For me P166 & slackware96 it hangs every way, but only when I boot
> : from the harddrive with loadlin. If I boot using "boot floppies"
> : using the same kernal as on my HD it works every time...
> : I'm stumped... I have not yet tried lilo but am curious to see
> : what happens when I do. I'll post my results here.

> : Ernie.

> It hangs for me on all of the options that reboot the machine... (halt
> will not reboot the machine, so that works fine)... I use lilo to boot...
> I don't see where the boot manager would make a difference, but who can
> know.

> Jeremy

I also have problems rebooting. After changing my motherboard to a tyan
tomcat II linux WILL reboot (RedHat4.0) but if I reboot into WIN95 (I
run loadlin and the win95 menu to select OS at boot) my second ide
interface (hence my cd) is reported in win95 as not working. So now I
simply halt the system and press the reset button when booting from
linux to win95.

Bill

1. Linux Reboot Problem

I've recently installed Linux (Slackware 3.0 distribution) on my 486.  I have run
into a strange problem.  When performing a reboot, shutdown -r, or CTRL-ALT-DEL,
Linux goes through all the motions of shutting down (syncs the disk, unmounts file
systems, etc...) just fine.  BUT when it gets to the point of actually rebooting
the PC, it just sits there.  Nothing happens.  I must then hit the hardware reset
button to get it to turn over.

I can get the PC to reboot just fine under DOS.  Int 19 works and so does writing
1234h to 40:72 and then jmp'ing to FFFF:0.  Win95 even has no problem rebooting
the machine (surprise!!!  Win95 can do it and Linux can't!  Arg!!).

I'm pretty well versed in UN*X from a user stand point.  This is my first
experience with admin type stuff.  I also consider my self a compitent C
programmer (EXTREMELY limit assembly, though).  I decided to delve into the
problem and see how it is supposed to work.  From what I can tell this is what
happens (correct me if I am wrong, please!):

Whatever program has been asked to reboot the machine (init, halt, reboot--link to
halt, shutdown, whatever...) calls the reboot() system call (unistd.h).  Reboot()
then (if all the inputs are correct) calls hard_reset_now() (kernel function--see
process.c of the kernel source).  Hard_reset_now() is the little bugger that is
supposed to reboot the machine.

I spent a few of hours trying to decipher what/how hard_reset_now() does/works,
but to no avail.  I just don't have enough of an assembly background to figure it
out.

Has anyone out there ever seen this problem before?  Does anyone out there know of
a fix?  I would be extremely greatful for ANY help on this.

  ___
 /   \                |
|                     |              "Elephant: A mouse built to
|    __               |                         government specifications"
|     | arrick   |    | ames
 \___/            \__/

2. PROBLEM WITH math.h

3. Headless Linux reboot problem

4. word in man

5. Linux reboot problem !!

6. kernel 2.4.7 wont boot

7. Linux rebooting problem...

8. Recognising large HD

9. reboot error reboot error reboot error

10. Compaq 6000 reboots and reboots and reboots

11. reboot &c should chdir("/") (Re: Problem with reboot and umount)

12. Linux SHUTDOWN/REBOOT problem, help!

13. Problems rebooting from linux to windows...