Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

Post by Eldin Dino Kusturic » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 02:56:04

Hello there,

Which program do I need to use on Linux RH 7.2 instead of buying expensive
Microsoft Exchange server and licences?????
I need to find some good alternative for Linux RH 7.2 and administer about
100 users with email server (probably RH 7.2 instead of buying MS Exchange)
and they need to access their accounts with any Microsoft version (Outlook,
outlook exp, eudora, etc...)

Any idea??

Thanks in advance,

Dino

Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

Post by Chief » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:43:35

27 Jan 2002 17:56 UTC, Eldin Dino Kusturica typed:

Quote:> Microsoft Exchange server and licences?????
> I need to find some good alternative for Linux RH 7.2 and administer about
> 100 users with email server (probably RH 7.2 instead of buying MS Exchange)
> and they need to access their accounts with any Microsoft version (Outlook,
> outlook exp, eudora, etc...)

Have a look at Exim. Fast, secure, reliable and very easy to compile
and install. It's also a 'drop in' replacement for sendmail.

 http://www.exim.org/

Regards.

--
Speed.

Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

Post by James Bros » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:51:08

Have a look at;

Sendmail 8.11.6         (SMTP Server)
imap 2000c              (IMAP and POP3 server)

and optionally;

openldap 2.0.21         (LDAP Server)

all are included in Red Hat 7.2

> Hello there,

> Which program do I need to use on Linux RH 7.2 instead of buying
> expensive Microsoft Exchange server and licences????? I need to find
> some good alternative for Linux RH 7.2 and administer about 100 users
> with email server (probably RH 7.2 instead of buying MS Exchange) and
> they need to access their accounts with any Microsoft version (Outlook,
> outlook exp, eudora, etc...)

> Any idea??

> Thanks in advance,

> Dino

Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

Post by Richard Harmonso » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 04:07:15

Sendmail! The grand daddy of SMTP Services.

Using sendmail with the Red Hat distribution is a breeze for they have
done most of the work for you.  Take a closer look at the sendmail
packages and accompanying documentation.  Probably the most helpful
source of information is sendmail.org and comp.mail.sendmail.

I have found sendmail to be much simpler to maintain in comparison to MS
Exchange. While maintaining Exchange for several hundred users for a
Federal Agency, I ran into all kinds of oddities with Exchange.  Can
anyone say Neurotic? Oddly enough, it is common to use Exchange in
conjunction with sendmail, where sendmail is the forwarder from the
intranet to the internet.  Why use both?  I do not know, for it seems
goofy.

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE

Quote:> Hello there,

> Which program do I need to use on Linux RH 7.2 instead of buying expensive
> Microsoft Exchange server and licences?????
> I need to find some good alternative for Linux RH 7.2 and administer about
> 100 users with email server (probably RH 7.2 instead of buying MS Exchange)
> and they need to access their accounts with any Microsoft version (Outlook,
> outlook exp, eudora, etc...)

> Any idea??

> Thanks in advance,

> Dino

Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

Post by David H. Lynch Jr » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:38:08

    I am basically working on the same thing.

    Which Exchange the SMTP server and the IMAP/POP3/MAPI server are all
combined as one entity. The peices start to become more obvious with E2K
which now uses SMTP as its basic transport and usess a modified version of
the SMTP server from IIS.

    I have already shifted from the Exchange/IIS SMTP server for incoming
e-mail. I switched to Exim. Exim is fairly secure, fairly capable and fairly
easy to understand. It incorporates numerous useful features not in exchange
and what it is unable to do directly, can be accomplished with lots of tools
that it easily integrates with. I am currently using it for blacklisting,
spam filtering and limited virus filtering. I will be getting more
aggressive about spam and anti-virus as I get time to start fooling with
external spam and anti-virus tools.

    If you are truly intent on leaving Exchange then you either need to look
at another comercial package or you have to be wiolling to abandon MAPI.
While I personally think this is a good thing, it does result in some loss
of functionality. While there is no good technical reason that M$ Outlook
can not support calendaring, tasks, contacts, journals, etc. stored on an
IMAP server, they do not. Even Outlook XP which atleast allows you to run
MAPI and IMAP concurrently, will not allow you to have any of these in an
IMAP folder. In fact it is actually worse than Outlook 2000 there. In
Outlook 2000 you atleast could read tasks, contacts, etc. if you configured
special views for that folder, but you could not modify or save them. With
OXP you can not even set the view on an IMAP server.

    If you are willing to abandon MAPI - I have already done so, even while
retaining Exchange, then there are numerous OpenSource IMAP servers out
there.
UW apears to be the oldest, and the easiest to set up. It can even be run
under NT/W2K.
Courier and Cyrus seem to be the othter two major contenders and they apear
to be more "enterprise" class. For a variety of reasons I am looking to move
to Cyrus. But it seems to be by far the most difficult to get setup and
running - partiucularly current versions. However it offers some hope of
actually being fully integrated into my existing network,  including
authenticating against an existing W2K domain. That said I have not yet
succeeded in getting a configuration that I am happy with. If you are
willing to manually setup e-mail users on the Linux box independently of on
your existing NT/W2K domain, and manually deal with separate password,
pretty much any of the IMAP servers show go in fairly easy for 100 users,
but you gain the independent maintanence tasks, of course I am not sure
anything can be as time consuming to maintain as E2K.

    Finally, there are all kinds of licensing issues that go away. M$ was
giving away copies of Outlook at one point. I am not sure whether it is
still free, but regardless all you need is the right to use a client, there
is no need for CALCs or server license. There are no bizare internet
licensing issues.

    I am actively moving away from M$ server products because they cost too
much, don't work, require way too much time to maintain, and because I need
an army of lawyers just to figure out if I have actually bought whatever
licenses I need to be "legal", and after I have paid them, M$ changes their
license in some way and you can start over.

Quote:> Hello there,

> Which program do I need to use on Linux RH 7.2 instead of buying expensive
> Microsoft Exchange server and licences?????
> I need to find some good alternative for Linux RH 7.2 and administer about
> 100 users with email server (probably RH 7.2 instead of buying MS
Exchange)
> and they need to access their accounts with any Microsoft version
(Outlook,
> outlook exp, eudora, etc...)

> Any idea??

> Thanks in advance,

> Dino

Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

Post by Richard Harmonso » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:06:01

I am in total agreement and my experiences support you observations.
For those who may not know, the imap package that ships with Red Hat
support both pop and imap. You can even install SASL to increase
security.  I have yet to do that even though it has been a TODO for
months now.

I probably should start a new thread, but does anyone have suggestions
for decent resources on how to setup Sendmail and SASL to smtp
authenticaiton?

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE

Quote:>     I am basically working on the same thing.

> [...]

> actually being fully integrated into my existing network,  including
> authenticating against an existing W2K domain. That said I have not yet
> succeeded in getting a configuration that I am happy with. If you are
> willing to manually setup e-mail users on the Linux box independently of on
> your existing NT/W2K domain, and manually deal with separate password,
> pretty much any of the IMAP servers show go in fairly easy for 100 users,
> but you gain the independent maintanence tasks, of course I am not sure
> anything can be as time consuming to maintain as E2K.

>     Finally, there are all kinds of licensing issues that go away. M$ was
> giving away copies of Outlook at one point. I am not sure whether it is
> still free, but regardless all you need is the right to use a client, there
> is no need for CALCs or server license. There are no bizare internet

Post by uncleholdou » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 04:06:33

yes use sendmail its easy change a couple settings run the m4 macro & your
done packages needed to be installed
Sendmail 8.11.6 (SMTP Server)
imap 2000c (IMAP and POP3 server)

Quote:> Hello there,

> Which program do I need to use on Linux RH 7.2 instead of buying expensive
> Microsoft Exchange server and licences?????
> I need to find some good alternative for Linux RH 7.2 and administer about
> 100 users with email server (probably RH 7.2 instead of buying MS
Exchange)
> and they need to access their accounts with any Microsoft version
(Outlook,
> outlook exp, eudora, etc...)

> Any idea??

> Thanks in advance,

> Dino

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. I can map the Mandrake samba share, but I can't smbmount the w2k drive?

3. is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

4. XF86 with Realtek card ???!!!

5. Alternatives to MS Exchange?

6. GNUstep AppKit changes 12/14/98

7. MS exchange alternative on Linux

8. Gateways!!

9. Is there an alternative to MS Exchange

10. Exchange Server Public Folder Alternative.

11. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

12. Linux and MS Exchange Server

13. MS Exchange with Netra Server