Urgent: Printer setup for ascii text on an HP printer ...

Urgent: Printer setup for ascii text on an HP printer ...

Post by Raghavendra B » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a Linux box (DLD 5.2, kernel 2.0.29) installed on a pentium m/c.
It
is on a network. An HP laserjet printer ( 4V/4MV PS) is also connnected
the same network. The following problems are encountered while printing
text file using lpr:
1. Staircase problem.
2. Spooling problem.
3. Generation of a print containing details of printjob.
Each one of them is detailed below:

------------------------------------
Problem 1: (Staircase problem)
When I get a print of a text file, I find the text to be stepped, that
is,
the second line starts at the location where the 1st line would have
ended,
and so on. It is something like this:
This is line one.
                      This is line two.
                                            This is line three.
How do I eliminate this staircasing???
I am enclosing the /etc/printcap file at the end of this list. Also, I
am
using apsfilter version 4.9 as the input filter. (I can also post it if
required.)

------------------------------------
Problem 2: (Spooling problem):
When I see the status of a print job using the lpq command, I get
something
like this:
ShellPrompt> lpq
brainux: waiting for 173.148.1.45 to come up
Rank Owner Job Files Total Size
1st beraghav 13 test 32 bytes
connection to 173.148.1.45 is down
The printer's IP address is 173.148.1.45. The network is OK which is
evident
from ping.
In this case, the print job remains in the Q and doesnot get executed.
However, sometimes I get the following output:
ShellPrompt> lpq
Jet Direct: no entries
In this case, the print job gets executed immediately.

-------------------------------------
Problem 3: (Generation of a print containing details of printjob.)
Whenever a print job gets executed, I get 2 pages of output (for a small

file with a few lines). The first one is due to the file to be printed
(with
of course, problem 3). The second page contains a listing something
like:
User: beraghav
Host: brainux
Class: brainux
Job: printcap
How do I disable this to be printed??

-----------------------------------
------------------------------Start of
/etc/printcap-----------------------------------------------------------

### Author: Ngo Than
### Date: 25.10.1996
##
##lp|Postscript|PostScript:\
## :lp=:/dev/lp1:\
## :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
## :lf=/var/spool/lpd/log:\
## :af=/var/spool/lpd/acct:\
## :mx#0:\
## :sh:
# LABEL apsfilter
# apsfilter setup Thu Aug 21 11:52:10 GMT+5 1997
#
# APS_BASEDIR:/usr/lib/apsfilter
#
#
ascii|lp1|PS_600dpi-a4-ascii-mono|PS_600dpi ascii mono:\
:lp=:\
:rm=173.148.1.45:\
:sd=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-a4-ascii-mono:\
:lf=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-a4-ascii-mono/log:\
:af=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-a4-ascii-mono/acct:\
:if=/usr/lib/apsfilter/filter/aps-PS_600dpi-a4-ascii-mono:\
:mx#0:\
:sh:
#
lp|lp2|PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono|PS_600dpi auto mono:\
:lp=:\
:rm=173.148.1.45:\
:sd=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono:\
:lf=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono/log:\
:af=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono/acct:\
:if=/usr/lib/apsfilter/filter/aps-PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono:\
:mx#0:\
:sh:
#
raw|lp3|PS_600dpi-a4-raw|PS_600dpi auto raw:\
:lp=:\
:rm=173.148.1.45:\
:sd=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-raw:\
:lf=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-raw/log:\
:af=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-raw/acct:\
:if=/usr/lib/apsfilter/filter/aps-PS_600dpi-a4-raw:\
:mx#0:\
:sh:
------------------------------End of
/etc/printcap-----------------------------------------------------------

Please let me know if additional details are required. I need an
immediate
solution as it seems to be a show-stopper.

Kind regards,
Raghavendra B K

Urgent: Printer setup for ascii text on an HP printer ...

Post by Luther Her » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

RH 5.1 which I am running has a print tool. If the printer is connected
to your computer locally, you may open an x terminal with startx. Then
go to the Control panel. If there is a print tool there, open it and
make your adjustments.

Since the printer is on a network, I will now assume it is not local to
your computer. If this is case, things are a bit more complicated. You
may have to manually configure the /etc/printcap file. You need to know
what you are doing if you do this. Also, you may need root privileges to
edit ect/printcap. Read the printing how to determine how to print from
remote printer.

> [...]

> :mx#0:\
> :sh:
> #
> raw|lp3|PS_600dpi-a4-raw|PS_600dpi auto raw:\
> :lp=:\
> :rm=173.148.1.45:\
> :sd=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-raw:\
> :lf=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-raw/log:\
> :af=/var/spool/PS_600dpi-raw/acct:\
> :if=/usr/lib/apsfilter/filter/aps-PS_600dpi-a4-raw:\
> :mx#0:\
> :sh:
> ------------------------------End of

> etc/printcap-----------------------------------------------------------

> Please let me know if additional details are required. I need an
> immediate
> solution as it seems to be a show-stopper.

> Kind regards,
> Raghavendra B K

Urgent: Printer setup for ascii text on an HP printer ...

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>I have a Linux box (DLD 5.2, kernel 2.0.29) installed on a pentium m/c.
>It
>is on a network. An HP laserjet printer ( 4V/4MV PS) is also connnected
>the same network. The following problems are encountered while printing
>text file using lpr:

First tip - PLEASE DON'T post HTML. I don't appreciate paying to receive
the same thing twice, and I probably pay a lot more than you for your
phone bill.

However, I like HP, otherwise I wouldn't jump in and help.

Quote:>1. Staircase problem.
>2. Spooling problem.
>3. Generation of a print containing details of printjob.
>Each one of them is detailed below:

>------------------------------------
>Problem 1: (Staircase problem)
>When I get a print of a text file, I find the text to be stepped, that
>is,
>the second line starts at the location where the 1st line would have
>ended,
>and so on. It is something like this:
>This is line one.
>                      This is line two.
>                                            This is line three.
>How do I eliminate this staircasing???
>I am enclosing the /etc/printcap file at the end of this list. Also, I
>am
>using apsfilter version 4.9 as the input filter. (I can also post it if
>required.)

You're using the wrong spool queue on the JetDirect. Unix ends lines in
lf only, the HP interprets lf as lf, so each new line starts below the
end of the previous one. Change your queue from "raw" to "text", or put
in a filter to make sure lone lf's are converted to crlf. I would think
the first is the easiest, though.

Quote:>----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>------------------------------------
>Problem 2: (Spooling problem):
>When I see the status of a print job using the lpq command, I get
>something
>like this:
>ShellPrompt> lpq
>brainux: waiting for 173.148.1.45 to come up
>Rank Owner Job Files Total Size
>1st beraghav 13 test 32 bytes
>connection to 173.148.1.45 is down
>The printer's IP address is 173.148.1.45. The network is OK which is
>evident
>from ping.
>In this case, the print job remains in the Q and doesnot get executed.
>However, sometimes I get the following output:
>ShellPrompt> lpq
>Jet Direct: no entries
>In this case, the print job gets executed immediately.

JetDirect cards are brain dead. They're running a multi-user spooler in
single user mode. It can't respond to your "query status" while its
downloading a job to print :-(

Quote:>----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>-------------------------------------
>Problem 3: (Generation of a print containing details of printjob.)
>Whenever a print job gets executed, I get 2 pages of output (for a small

>file with a few lines). The first one is due to the file to be printed
>(with
>of course, problem 3). The second page contains a listing something
>like:
>User: beraghav
>Host: brainux
>Class: brainux
>Job: printcap
>How do I disable this to be printed??

Disable the banner/footer page. This is a printcap problem. I'd like to
know the fix to this one too :-)

printcap snipped - see original post
Trousers with a single hole in their waistband are topologically equivalent
to a doughnut. These sugarcoated trousers have yet to catch on at fast-food
outlets! (SuperStrings by F. David Peat)

If replying by e-mail please mail wol. Anything else may get missed amongst
the spam.