Read only filesystem??

Post by Mike » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:58:15

I had to restore a Redhat 7.0 box from a cpio tape. Now everything I do
informs me it is a "read-only filesystem". Could someone enlighten me as to
how this happened and how I can repair it? I have restored RH 6.2 systems in
this way without encountering this problem....

Thank you
Mike L

Read only filesystem??

Post by ne.. » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:19:05

> I had to restore a Redhat 7.0 box from a cpio tape. Now everything I do
> informs me it is a "read-only filesystem". Could someone enlighten me as to
> how this happened and how I can repair it? I have restored RH 6.2 systems in
> this way without encountering this problem....

Does the output of mount say your filesystems are mounted rw or r?
Example:

/dev/hdb3 on / type xfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /boot type xfs (rw)

Note the stuff in parentheses. Seems you might need to remount
the filesystems rw. Something like 'mount -a -o rw' might work.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.          |   '.invalid'

Read only filesystem??

Post by Mike » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:15:42

Hmm. Apparently you have to specify a volume label when using mke2fs in Redhat
7....

>I had to restore a Redhat 7.0 box from a cpio tape. Now everything I do
>informs me it is a "read-only filesystem". Could someone enlighten me as to
>how this happened and how I can repair it? I have restored RH 6.2 systems in
>this way without encountering this problem....

>Thank you
>Mike L

1. Read Only Filesystem? Please help

Hi,

I just installed Linux on my machine cause I was curious about the hype.

I ran into a little problem.

After logging in as root, I wanted to change my passwd, but it wouldn't let
me change anything.

I tried to shutdown, but it said that the File System is Readonly? Does
anyone have any idea what that means?

2. DIP: modem port speed stuck at 38400?

3. dd: Read-only filesystem

4. ADSL Router or ADSL Modem /Linux firewall

5. Linux read SCO filesystem?

6. bttv 2.1.96 compile problems

7. 4.3 Install problem: Unable to mount /tmp/.doc, read-only filesystem

8. Upgrading to 4.3.3

9. Can't rescue, read-only filesystem

10. Read-only filesystem!?

11. Read-only filesystem?!?

12. Read-only filesystem... ouch.

13. Possible support for Linux reading VMS filesystems?