Help On FTP VIA HTTP -- Browser does not list ftp directory?

Help On FTP VIA HTTP -- Browser does not list ftp directory?

Post by Patrick Li » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

 Thanks for helping, First fo all.

  My problem is not the ftp server. It works fine under the command
line.

  However, when I try to access the ftp directory via a browser, nothing
from the ftp directory was listed from on the browser. All I see is
"Current Directory is /".

  I read that when a requested directory does not have a index.html, the
httpd will list all the content of the directory. But nothing
happens....

  I tried editing the httpd.conf and added a <Directory> section for
/home/ftp but it does not fix the problem. So I tried adding .htaccess
file under /home/ftp but it also does not work. I concluded that it is
not the problem of httpd. So where is the problem?

  Thanks again for the help.

Patrick

Post by D. Stimit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi

>  Thanks for helping, First fo all.

>   My problem is not the ftp server. It works fine under the command
> line.

>   However, when I try to access the ftp directory via a browser, nothing
> from the ftp directory was listed from on the browser. All I see is
> "Current Directory is /".

>   I read that when a requested directory does not have a index.html, the
> httpd will list all the content of the directory. But nothing
> happens....

>   I tried editing the httpd.conf and added a <Directory> section for
> /home/ftp but it does not fix the problem. So I tried adding .htaccess
> file under /home/ftp but it also does not work. I concluded that it is
> not the problem of httpd. So where is the problem?

>   Thanks again for the help.

> Patrick

It should be the same with ftp and http ONLY if the site allows
directory browsing in http, and you don't have a default file. But you
can use your browser with ftp too, just start the URL with
ftp://www.whatever.com instead of http://www.whatever.com.

If it is your own web server, there are all kinds of override settings
that might stop an individual user from allowing directory browsing, so
on, which is why changing some of the home dir web files has no effect
(depending on other config files saying not to allow it).

You might want to check out gftp or xftp if you run X and want a pure
ftp program that is GUI.