LILO setup on a 6.4 Gb

Post by Pierre-Marie Gando » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

I've a 6.4 Gb HD with the following partitions:

  - hda1: WIN98 (5 Gb)
  - hda2: Linux Swap (64 Mb)
  - hda3: Linux Native (1.3 Gb)

When I try to install LILO, I have the following
message: "Too many cylinders on your disk".

Is there a solution to this problem ?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Pierre-Marie.

LILO setup on a 6.4 Gb

Post by Rich Pern » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>Hi there,
>   - hda1: Win98 (100MB)
>   - hda2: Linux Native (30 MB)
>   - hda3: Linux Swap (64 MB)
>   - hda4: Win98 (4.9GB)
>   - hda5: Linux Native (1.0GB)

If you don't want to break your 98 up like this, the easier thing to do in
the long run is wipe everything out and do this:

1.  Using a Linux boot disk, use Linux fdisk and delete all partitions.
Create your root partition, make it around 125 meg or so (a little
excessive, but you've got space to burn :-)  ).  This should be hda1.

2.  Use your 98 boot disk, run DOS fdisk, and it should let you create a DOS
partition beneath the "non-DOS" partition.  I would be much less generous
than Pierre, you're going to want a lot more room for your Linux stuff.  I'd
give it 2-3 gig, depending on if you play a ton of games or not.   If it
doesn't let you create this partition, DOS is being a bastard and created an
extended partition (it does this randomly, I have no idea why) that will
take up the rest of your hard drive.  The only solution is to boot back off
a Linux floppy, re-run Linux fdisk, and delete that extended partition.
Reboot 98 off floppy, and everything should be cool.  Set the DOS partition
active.

3.  Format the DOS partition, and install Windows 98.

4.  Create your Linux partitions with the rest of the space(be careful to
keep your original 125 meg hda1 root partition intact!), giving your /usr
partition a good healthy gig, and refer to your Linux guide for the
others....

Good Luck!

Rich

LILO setup on a 6.4 Gb

Post by Jerry Gardn » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi there,

>I've a 6.4 Gb HD with the following partitions:

>  - hda1: WIN98 (5 Gb)
>  - hda2: Linux Swap (64 Mb)
>  - hda3: Linux Native (1.3 Gb)

>When I try to install LILO, I have the following
>message: "Too many cylinders on your disk".

>Is there a solution to this problem ?

Yes. If you have a "modern" BIOS, you can sometime use a setting such
as "LBA" or "Large" that will allow your BIOS to address the disk
without running into the 1024 cylinder limitation.

If this doesn't work, use Partition Magic or, if you're feeling lucky,
FIPS, to shrink your Win98 partition to a much smaller size and then
add a small Linux root partition within the first 1024 cylinders
(beware: FIPS may not understand FAT32 partitions). This is assuming
your Win98 partition isn't too full. If it is, you will have to back
it up, delete it, and recreate it with a smaller size. What you want
to end up with is something like this:

   - hda1: Win98 (100MB)
   - hda2: Linux Native (30 MB)
   - hda3: Linux Swap (64 MB)
   - hda4: Win98 (4.9GB)
   - hda5: Linux Native (1.0GB)

When you've done this, restore your Win98 data from backup, if needed,
to the new Win98 partition.

--
Jerry Gardner                   | Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve of

1. Problem with Quantum Bigfoot 6.4 Gb

Recently I have bought a Quantum Bigfoot 6.4Gb hard drive (CY6480A).
I have it installed as master on the first IDE interface and have
disconnected all other devices and get the following problem.
When I turn on the power, the BIOS (AMIBIOS version 1.00.03.CB0) does
not recognize the hard drive. When I press CTRL-ALT-DEL the hard drive
is correctly recognized. It seems as though the drive does not get
enough time to get up to speed and the BIOS does not recognize it.
I have tried to get a BIOS upgrade for my motherboard but have not been
lucky so far and do not know whether it will do any good.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

2. Visual Bell

3. How to deal with a 6.4 GB harddisk

4. Linux 2.5.68 - Fix FreeXid after return in fs/cifs/inode.c

5. Linux + Win95 on 6.4 GB HD

6. any free web performance monitoring tool ?

7. Solaris 2.4 and 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball format

8. Upgrading a P90 to {Ppro, K6, 6x86}

9. old bios doesn't c 6.4 gb hard drive

10. ?? Best 6.4-7.2 GB HD (IDE) ??

11. 6.4 GB IDE Drives

12. LILO SUSE 6.4

13. Setup for Mediaone road runner one way cable modem on linux (suse 6.4)