installing linux from the hard drive : help...

installing linux from the hard drive : help...

Post by SC » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I still can't get linux to recognize my 1st hard drive which holds the
linux files. I have two hard drives, 1st:western digital 1G using Ontrack
disk manager ver. 6.03C setup as a DOS drive. 2nd drive is a western
digital 250M setup up for linux only.

During installation, when prompted for the source drive, I enter
/dev/hda1, then I enter /linux for the directory. The system gives me
various errors about not being able to mount the drive. So I tried to
mount the DOS disk manually after I log in as root. I used the following
method to try and mount the disk (with no luck):
mkdir /dos
mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /dos

I get this error message:

VFS:Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 0x0301
mount: wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hda1

[MS-DOS FS REL. 12,FAT 0, check=n, conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]
[me=0x7c,cs=0,#f=216,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=49294,data=0,se=190,ts=1038615040,
ls=1]

transaction block size =512

I would be humbly grateful for some insight into this problem.

thx,
steve

1. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

I have 2 hard drives hda and hdc on redhat 2.2.5-15 kernel.

I downloaded SuSE 7.2 and put the iso file on hda5, wrote
it to the device so I can mount the file iso.

I would like  the boot floopy to find /dev/hda5
instead of the cdrom to do the install from.

Can this be done? Redhat has a premade floppy for this
so I am hoping somewhere I can get this for Suse.

                           Thanks in advance to those who help

2. (JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

3. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

4. HP-UX Installation Tape

5. Help installing linux on extra hard drive

6. NIS client problem

7. Installing 3 versions of linux on one hard drive - help me partition it please

8. How to pull out a function from an ELF shared library?

9. HELP - Install Linux on Last Partition of a 30 GB Hard Drive?

10. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

11. Newbie needs help to install SuSE Linux 7.1 on SCSI hard drive.

12. Need help installing Linux on large hard drive

13. Help installing linux SLS on a 486 with 2 hard drives