installing linux - hardware setup question

installing linux - hardware setup question

Post by Doug Ree » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Okay,

I'm all ready to install linux.  Now I have some questions.
I'm installing the latest version of Linux on the following system:

486DX2 -50
2x CDROM (ATAPI)
VLB Graphics card
2 hard drives, 210 and 820 MB
Gravis Ultrasound PnP soundcard

The last peripheral is my concern, as well as the 2nd hard drive.
When I install Linux, I'm pretty sure it won't recognize the Ultrasound or
have the proper drivers for it.  Drivers do exist, what I want to know is
can I install the system and then install the drivers afterwards?

Now, about the hard drive (a western digital).  In order to run under DOS or
Windows 95 and recognize the entire drive requires the use of a special
program that runs when the computer is booted to allow the BIOS to see the
whole drive. Otherwise I'm stuck with 512MB.  Will Linux work with the drive
"right out of the box"?

If you can, please email me at home with your answers in case I miss your
reply post!

installing linux - hardware setup question

Post by kaynjayJ.. » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi Doug,

I'm pretty new to Linux, so I couldn't answer your other post too
intellegently (re: deselect and downloading packages).  I am pretty certain
that you DON'T have to dl all packages at all--but you do need to get a base
system up with connectivity to do selective stuff.  At least, I think that's
how it should work.  And a newer program, called apt, is supposed to be more
effficvient than dselect at doing this.  Others will probably mention it to
you.

Frankly, I'd recommend getting CD's from Linux Central or other (Cheapbytes
also comes to mind, but I've seen posts re: problems with their CD's).  It's
far easier, cheap, and worth having in front of you.

Quote:>The last peripheral is my concern, as well as the 2nd hard drive. When I
>install Linux, I'm pretty sure it won't recognize the Ultrasound or have
>the proper drivers for it.  Drivers do exist, what I want to know is can I
>install the system and then install the drivers afterwards?

Yes.  You will HAVE to install without sound support initially, anyway.  The
kernel should then be recompiled later, with sound support built in or
modularized (?? such a word?).  Compiling is no big deal, I've discovered,
and a good experience!

Quote:>Now, about the hard drive (a western digital).  In order to run under DOS
>or Windows 95 and recognize the entire drive requires the use of a special
>program that runs when the computer is booted to allow the BIOS to see the
>whole drive. Otherwise I'm stuck with 512MB.  Will Linux work with the
>drive "right out of the box"?

You have a 486-50.  I have a 486-66.  My BIOS won't work above 540 either
(** for the boot-up partition **).  You haven't mentioned whether other
systems are in the box.  One way or the other you will be re-partitioning
your HD's anyway to take at least 3 more.  One for root, one for /usr, and
one for swap.  (this will separate programs you install from many system
files, like putting DOS on one partition and apps on another).  The question
about recognizing the entire drive is moot if you place the boot partition
(root) within the first 540 Mb.

How familiar are you with Linux, partitioning, etc??

Kenward Vaughan

You need to remove the junk from this for it to work ...

installing linux - hardware setup question

Post by Doug Ree » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:

>Frankly, I'd recommend getting CD's from Linux Central or other (Cheapbytes
>also comes to mind, but I've seen posts re: problems with their CD's).
It's
>far easier, cheap, and worth having in front of you.

As I replied to you personally, already done.  Went ahead and purchased
Linux Unleashed with the latest version of Red Hat.  Heck of a lot cheaper
than any other PC OS on the market!

Quote:

>Yes.  You will HAVE to install without sound support initially, anyway.
The
>kernel should then be recompiled later, with sound support built in or
>modularized (?? such a word?).  Compiling is no big deal, I've discovered,
>and a good experience!

Gracias!  I'll take your word for it on the recompiling.  Sound is not a
huge concern, since I see this computer as mainly a printer/file server and
(later) a web server.

Quote:

>How familiar are you with Linux, partitioning, etc??

I'm learning!  I got the pdf file on installing linux, which gives a lot of
info although not as well written as one might like.  Still, after slogging
through that and the Debian installation manual, I picked up Linux Unleashed
and was saying Yup, understand that, and Yup, understand that - Okay!
Feeling more confidant now.

As of now the computer has Windows 95 on it with 5 disk partitions (3 of
them newly created thanks to Partition Magic 3.0).  Ultimately I want to
have only DOS along with Linux.  Why?  Again, I want this computer to act as
a server & not a primary use machine.

-Doug