DOS 7 (ie. win95) TCP/IP ?

DOS 7 (ie. win95) TCP/IP ?

Post by Lars / wO » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Heya all,

I have a question:

Before our network server became Linux (with Samba) we used to run
Win95 on it. My father (who is blind) used the DOS part of Win95's
networking program "Net".

Now that all communication is going across TCP/IP - he is left out of
everything, since apparantly the "Net' program only loads NETBIOS, IPX
and NETBEUI (even though TCP/IP is configured and functioning in the
'graphical' win95).

So, I have some questions.. is it possible to load the TCP/IP part of
win95 (with undocumented commands?) If not, is there a - cheapish -
DOS TCP/IP set of programs that would let him login to the server, and
map DOS drive letters to the Linux server? A true DOS-telnet and FTP
program would be great too. I've looked across the Net, but there
doesn't seem to be much around for DOS anymore.

I would rather use the TCP that is in win95, so it works best with the
"Net" software.

I feel kind of guilty having basically kicked him out of the loop, by
installing Linux. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Lars.

 .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.
   "Musique, Non Stop..."
                  Kraftwerk, 1986

    Lars  .  wOOd  .  Acid Demons
      http://www.acid.demon.nl
 .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.

 
 
 

DOS 7 (ie. win95) TCP/IP ?

Post by Brion Vibbe » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:> So, I have some questions.. is it possible to load the TCP/IP part of
> win95 (with undocumented commands?)

Not as far as I know; the TCP/IP drivers are Win32 virtual device
drivers. You might be able to run DOS programs in a DOS box under Win95
though.

Quote:> If not, is there a - cheapish -
> DOS TCP/IP set of programs that would let him login to the server, and
> map DOS drive letters to the Linux server? A true DOS-telnet and FTP
> program would be great too. I've looked across the Net, but there
> doesn't seem to be much around for DOS anymore.

FTP Software has a package called PC/TCP that provides TCP/IP support for
DOS and also for Windows 3.1; the DOS part should run fine in Win95's DOS
mode. Look it up at http://www.ftp.com/product/pctcp/pctcp4.html. Don't
know how much it costs, but it is available and includes telnet and FTP
clients among many other things.



 
 
 

DOS 7 (ie. win95) TCP/IP ?

Post by Robin Malto » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Lars wrote
snip

Quote:>> If not, is there a - cheapish -
>> DOS TCP/IP set of programs that would let him login to the server, and
>> map DOS drive letters to the Linux server? A true DOS-telnet and FTP
>> program would be great too. I've looked across the Net, but there
>> doesn't seem to be much around for DOS anymore.

snip
Brian wrote
snip
Quote:>FTP Software has a package called PC/TCP that provides TCP/IP support for
>DOS and also for Windows 3.1; the DOS part should run fine in Win95's DOS
>mode. Look it up at http://www.ftp.com/product/pctcp/pctcp4.html. Don't
>know how much it costs, but it is available and includes telnet and FTP
>clients among many other things.

snip

MS have actually produced a DOS for Workgroups add-on, not a well publicised
bit of software, but it will have the TCP/IP support. Price in the UK about
40Pounds but I can't remember where I last saw it advertised. Of course it
will be an add-on for versions of DOS up to 6x

 
 
 

DOS 7 (ie. win95) TCP/IP ?

Post by The » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00




>> So, I have some questions.. is it possible to load the TCP/IP part of
>> win95 (with undocumented commands?)

>Not as far as I know; the TCP/IP drivers are Win32 virtual device
>drivers. You might be able to run DOS programs in a DOS box under Win95
>though.

>> If not, is there a - cheapish -
>> DOS TCP/IP set of programs that would let him login to the server, and
>> map DOS drive letters to the Linux server? A true DOS-telnet and FTP
>> program would be great too. I've looked across the Net, but there
>> doesn't seem to be much around for DOS anymore.

>FTP Software has a package called PC/TCP that provides TCP/IP support for
>DOS and also for Windows 3.1; the DOS part should run fine in Win95's DOS
>mode. Look it up at http://www.ftp.com/product/pctcp/pctcp4.html. Don't
>know how much it costs, but it is available and includes telnet and FTP
>clients among many other things.



NSCA has a set of FTP-software that includes Telnet, ftp, rexec, rsh
etc. (freeware)
The're at:
http:// www.nsca.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/PCTelnet/
There is also a set of software called waterloo FTP (shareware)
It can be found (I think) at :
http://www.wustl.edu/~hugh/dos-www.html
gd luck,
Theo