kernel panic at boot time (related to mem=384M in lilo.conf)

kernel panic at boot time (related to mem=384M in lilo.conf)

Post by tbarr.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Please help! I am having a kernel panic message pop up at boot time.
I know it's related to the mem statement in my lilo.conf ...
LILO
Welcome to LILO the operating system chooser!
To list the possible choices, press <TAB>.
To load one of them, write its name and press <ENTER> or wait 5 seconds
for default boot.
boot:
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

2.95.2 19991024 (release)) #1 Tue Jan 4 22:24:20 CET 2000
Detected 848360616 Hz processor.
ide_setup: ide2=0xffe0,0xffae
ide_setup: ide3=0xffa0,0xffaa
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 845.41 BogoMIPS
Memory: 0k/0k available (0k kernel code, 0k reserved, 0k data, 0k init,
0k bigmem)
Kernel panic: kmem_cache_sizes_init: Error creating caches
In swapper task - not syncing
my /etc/lilo.conf file:
boot=/dev/hde
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
append="ide2=0xffe0,0xffae ide3=0xffa0,0xffaa mem=384M"
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
other=/dev/fd0
label=floppy
unsafe
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/hde9
read-only
My system:
CPU & Motherboard: Athlon 850 (AMD 751 & AMD 756 chips)
Memory: 384MB (3 128MB DIMMs)
Hard drives: 2 34GB IBM Deskstart GXP's
Ultra66 controller: Promise Ultra66 PCI card
Strangely enough, the system boots properly if at the boot prompt,
I type "linux", but if I don't type anything, I get the kernel panic
message above.
I know many will ask why all the parameters on the "append" line?
The ide2=... and ide3=... are required to boot off of the Promise
Ultra66 controller card, and I had to add the mem=384M section,
because Mandrake 7.0 is only detecting 65M otherwise.
Can anyone give me any hints, clues to try? I've tried moving the
"append" line to different places within the lilo.conf file, and
then running "lilo -v", and rebooting, and I get the same kernel
panic message.
Thanks,
Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

kernel panic at boot time (related to mem=384M in lilo.conf)

Post by Frank Fallo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

This will happen if you change anything in Win  after installing
Mandrake.Frank.