Help with connecting with ISP in PPP

Post by clar.. » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've just installed Red Hat 5.2 two weeks ago, I am still getting
around connecting to my ISP using PPP. I've double checked everything
in the linuxconf, but still my modem get disconnected after a hort
while. I've tried Minicom to debug this. After connecting to my ISP, I
key in the login name and password ---- the login is OK. After I
initiated PPP by typing "ppp"  the connection still get disconneted
after half a minute or so.
Anybody cab help me out of this ?

Post by Sydney Weidma » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I've just installed Red Hat 5.2 two weeks ago, I am still getting
> around connecting to my ISP using PPP. I've double checked everything
> in the linuxconf, but still my modem get disconnected after a hort
> while. I've tried Minicom to debug this. After connecting to my ISP, I
> key in the login name and password ---- the login is OK. After I
> initiated PPP by typing "ppp"  the connection still get disconneted
> after half a minute or so.
> Anybody cab help me out of this ?

When you type ppp in the terminal program, you are starting ppp on the
other end of the connection. It has to be started on your end as well so
that the two processes can communicate.

If you are using Red Hat, you should be able to configure a ppp
connection using the netconfig tool from within x-windows. If you need
any help, just e-mail me.

Post by PaThOgE » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I've just installed Red Hat 5.2 two weeks ago, I am still getting
> around connecting to my ISP using PPP. I've double checked everything
> in the linuxconf, but still my modem get disconnected after a hort
> while. I've tried Minicom to debug this. After connecting to my ISP, I
> key in the login name and password ---- the login is OK. After I
> initiated PPP by typing "ppp"  the connection still get disconneted
> after half a minute or so.
> Anybody cab help me out of this ?

The best way I found to get hooked up to the ISP is wvdial I didn't care
much for the netcfg program (just my own opinion).
http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/

Help with connecting with ISP in PPP

Post by Rob_Zwartje » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem. The answer to the problem was to put a P in front of
my inlogname. So it became Pmyname. I hope it helps you.
With regards,
Rob

Post by David Nelso » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I've just installed Red Hat 5.2 two weeks ago, I am still getting
> around connecting to my ISP using PPP. I've double checked everything
> in the linuxconf, but still my modem get disconnected after a hort
> while. I've tried Minicom to debug this. After connecting to my ISP, I
> key in the login name and password ---- the login is OK. After I
> initiated PPP by typing "ppp"  the connection still get disconneted
> after half a minute or so.
> Anybody cab help me out of this ?

I had a heck of a time, many, many times figuring this puzzle out until
I stumbled upon this in the Linuxconf menu definition, a very important
step. The Primary and Secondary IP address of your ISP.

This is the menu tree in Linuxconf, you will have to find the " name
server specification (DNS)".

Config
      Networking

                Name Server Specification (DNS)

                                              Name Server 1 (Your ISPs
Primary IP address)
                                              Name Server 2 (Your ISPs
Secondary IP address)

If your ISP has this information for you it can be very useful.  Besides
that if you have the dial in number correct, and the correct modem init
string setup, and allowed youself to access PPP as a user, other then
root, you should be all set.  RedHat's kernel is configured with PPP so
you don't have to recompile you kernel it to get it to work.

1. Still having PPP ,isp connect problems, please help me !!

Best readers,

I have a BIG !! problem setting up a ppp-connection with my ISP.
I already asked a question in this newsgroup, but til now i didn't
receive the
support i was hoping for.

Ok, i know i'm quite a newbie, but almost every (main) option available
within

I need a working UNIX(LINUX) ppp-connection for my studie so it is a
very important isue for me.

I send my modem setups, by the way ...my modem (internal 14k4) works
great whitin W'95, so i doubt abouth any HAYES-setup is the problem.
(same settings when i do a AT&V)
I also tried to re-instal "Minicom" .....whithout any
succes..performance is the same...:-(

Maybe a stupid question, but whitin Minicom doing "Q" means exit
whithout reset, is this the correct option.
Doing "J" is turning Minicom to the background, is this not a right
option?
Anyway..., i tried BOTH options (quit by using "Q" and "J"), this might
be not the problem.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My modem's initialization:

"AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &C1 E1 Q0"

The ppp "garbage" in Minicom-screen is stopping after the first row of
garbage, keep hangs and then disconnects

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My modem-setup in Minicom:
The letters are the same as you find them in Minicom!!

A: ~^M~AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &C1 &E1 &Q0 ^M

B: ~^ATZ^M

C: ATDT

D: ^M

E: ATDP

F: ^M

G: ATX1DT

H: ;X4D^M

I: CONNECT

J: NO CARIER      BUSY
   NO DIALTONE    VOICE

K: ~~+++~~ATH^M

L: ^M

M: 45

N: 5

0: 10

P: NO

Q: YES

R: YES

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, whats wrong with my Minicom?
When you reply, please donn't advice me reading FAQ's or HOWTO's, i
already read them all!!!

I recently tried to use DIP, an other dial-up communication program.
It's very difficult to understand how i must use it.
In the Install and help-files they talked abouth ip-up scripts and not
abouth ppp-on-dailer etc...
I'm using kernel 2.0 and maybe DIP cann't work only whithin an older
one??
When you cann't trace this problem, please give me tips for an
alternative.
Maybe you can explain me how using DIP..??

Please reply me also by E-mail, because i cann't read every day reading
this newsgroups.

2. problem with fvwm & fvwm95

3. HELP: Connecting to ISP with PPP

4. In the form .com .net .org

5. Help with PPP to connect to netcom ISP under redhat 5.0

6. What computers are for (was: Fascist alert!!)

7. HELP: Connecting to ISP with PPP

8. where can i find timed?

9. Can anyone help me connect to ISP by ppp?

10. PPP Help Needed For Connecting with ISP Via Dedicated Addr.

11. ppp died after connecting to isp: need help

12. Connecting LAN to ISP with PPP - help

13. help: connecting to ISP, can someone help