x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

Post by Mat » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm running a 3c905b card that seems to be running flawlessy right
now. I can ping servers anywhere and browse the net using lynx, but
when I try to start x-windows, it crashes. I'm running RedHat 5.1 with
XFree86. The thing is, when I disable my ethernet card, x-windows
starts up without a problem. When I try to reactivate the card inside
x-windows, the system locks up. What's wrong? Why isn't it working?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Post by Phil DeBecke » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I'm running a 3c905b card that seems to be running flawlessy right
> now. I can ping servers anywhere and browse the net using lynx, but
> when I try to start x-windows, it crashes. I'm running RedHat 5.1 with
> XFree86. The thing is, when I disable my ethernet card, x-windows
> starts up without a problem. When I try to reactivate the card inside
> x-windows, the system locks up. What's wrong? Why isn't it working?
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

> Matt

You almost certainly have an IRQ conflict between your video adapter and
your network card.  Do a "cat /proc/pci" and look for any conflicts; you
may have to relocate your cards to different slots (or just the network
card if you have an AGP video board) or assign IRQs in the BIOS if your
BIOS supports such an option.  There are some X-servers which support
sharing IRQs (the SVGA server supports it for the Riva 128 chipset, as I
had to install it to solve the same problem you're having).

Phil

1. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled!

I'm running a 3c905b card that seems to be running flawlessy right
now. I can ping servers anywhere and browse the net using lynx, but
when I try to start x-windows, it crashes. I'm running RedHat 5.1 with
XFree86. The thing is, when I disable my ethernet card, x-windows
starts up without a problem. When I try to reactivate the card inside
x-windows, the system locks up. What's wrong? Why isn't it working?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

2. Getting Windows to boot Linux

3. help: a bash script to launch x-win and then do someting in x-win

4. Solaris 2.5.1 (RZ.SZ) Please...

5. PLEASE help: x-win won't let me use keyboard

6. LILO question

7. Can't Start X-Win missing .Xresource file

8. "su"ing from ksh scripts

9. PCMCIA is fine eth0 won't start automagically

10. X Won't Start if eth0 is up

11. eth0 won't start after upgrade to RH 7.1

12. Error starting x-win