DIALD fails ppp-on fails ppp-go works HELP!!!

DIALD fails ppp-on fails ppp-go works HELP!!!

Post by Norman Elliot » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I hope you guys can help. this is the second night seeing the dawn
break by the looks of things.

I had  1 Linux ( Slackware 3.5 kernel 2.0.34 ) and 1 Win95 PC networked.
Modem on Linux

could not get ppp-on / ppp-on-dialer to work at all. read the groups til
my eyes fell out.

Someone mentioned pppsetup   AH Bliss   5 minutes and we were surfing.

Decided I would put on and old 486, stick it up in the loft with the
modem on it and run diald.

But diald readme man pages examples etc all talk about ppp-on and
ppp-on-dialer scripts.
It says ' If you had them working then you are almost there '

Well I installed diald and tried to get it to work. No joy.

Just the same as ppp-on

tail -f /var/log/messages showed it got to point
where it waited for assword:
then failed 10 times out of ten. Tried changing timeouts etc but no joy.

ran pppsetup  bingo 5 minutes and surfing again

What do I do?  Can I graft the bits from ppp-go and pppscript into diald
files to get it to work?

please help

thanks in advance
norm

DIALD fails ppp-on fails ppp-go works HELP!!!

Post by Norman Elliot » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Well I know no-one answered this but I have had lots

of help in the past for other things.

So I thought I would let you all know I got diald working

in case anyone else has a similar problem

It turned out there were 2 problems with the /etc/connect script.

There was no space between    chat  and -v   in one section

( the bit which should initialise the modem ). Fixing that got it
dialing.

Stiil getting errors when I watched /var/log/messages.

lots of wrong responses although the variables seemed to be set
correctly.

when through the script and replaced each $VARIABLE_NAME with the

values they contained.

Now it works.

All I have to do now is tune the timeouts.

> Hi, I hope you guys can help. this is the second night seeing the dawn
> break by the looks of things.

> I had  1 Linux ( Slackware 3.5 kernel 2.0.34 ) and 1 Win95 PC networked.
> Modem on Linux

> could not get ppp-on / ppp-on-dialer to work at all. read the groups til
> my eyes fell out.

> Someone mentioned pppsetup   AH Bliss   5 minutes and we were surfing.

> Decided I would put on and old 486, stick it up in the loft with the
> modem on it and run diald.

> But diald readme man pages examples etc all talk about ppp-on and
> ppp-on-dialer scripts.
> It says ' If you had them working then you are almost there '

> Well I installed diald and tried to get it to work. No joy.

> Just the same as ppp-on

> tail -f /var/log/messages showed it got to point
> where it waited for assword:
> then failed 10 times out of ten. Tried changing timeouts etc but no joy.

> ran pppsetup  bingo 5 minutes and surfing again

> What do I do?  Can I graft the bits from ppp-go and pppscript into diald
> files to get it to work?

> please help

> thanks in advance
> norm

DIALD fails ppp-on fails ppp-go works HELP!!!

Post by Jodey Gris » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

i think all this ppp stuff is much easier if u don't use the provided
scripts, and just make ur own - that's what i did, and it only took a little
tweaking and now any user can dial in and hang up - which is just what i
wanted :)

1. "Connect script failed" when I run ppp-go (Slackware)

I have Slackware linux and can't get a good connection to the internet.  I
ran pppsetup-and double checked to see if I my ISP uses PAP, the domain #,
the correct comm port, and I still get this error message:

"Connect script failed" when I run ppp-go

If I try to connect in X windows it says that the "modem is busy".

thanks

2. Installing linux SuSE, help me !

3. mmdf and ppp: failed mail messages fail!

4. help: my cable modem has changed my hostname

5. PPP-2.4.1 Solaris8 Driver Failed to Attach/ppp question

7. PPP link fails after serial connection goes up

8. How do you get iptables...

9. Windows PPP <-> Linux PPP fails

10. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

11. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

12. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please