XF86_SVGA

XF86_SVGA

Post by donol » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



It appears that my video card will only work with XF86_SVGA according to the
error message when I run XF86Config.  XF86_SVGA is not in my system
(OpenLinux 2.2)  So, I ran lisa --pkginstall XF86_SVGA and I get an error
message saying /mnt/col/install/RPMS/XF86_SVGA.i386.rpm  File not found.
What do I have to do?     donoli.
 
 
 

XF86_SVGA

Post by Rick » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I had the same problem with RH 6.0. I went to the www.xfree86.org  and got
the latest version of XFree86 ( which is 3.3.5) .  I then "extract"ed (as
per the instructions - look at RELNOTES): Xset.tgz, XSVGA.tgz, and XVG16.tgz
(not the whole set because that screwed up my X start-up on my system). I
then ran the "new" XF86Config to set up my system.  It took me a number of
installations to figure that this was all I needed for my system. Good luck.


Quote:> It appears that my video card will only work with XF86_SVGA according to
the
> error message when I run XF86Config.  XF86_SVGA is not in my system
> (OpenLinux 2.2)  So, I ran lisa --pkginstall XF86_SVGA and I get an error
> message saying /mnt/col/install/RPMS/XF86_SVGA.i386.rpm  File not found.
> What do I have to do?     donoli.


 
 
 

XF86_SVGA

Post by donol » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



>I had the same problem with RH 6.0. I went to the www.xfree86.org  and got
>the latest version of XFree86 ( which is 3.3.5) .  I then "extract"ed (as
>per the instructions - look at RELNOTES): Xset.tgz, XSVGA.tgz, and
XVG16.tgz
>(not the whole set because that screwed up my X start-up on my system). I
>then ran the "new" XF86Config to set up my system.  It took me a number of
>installations to figure that this was all I needed for my system. Good
luck.

Thanks for your reply.  I finally found a way to correct the problem.  I ran
lisa --pkg which gave me the option to view and install more RPM packages.
I installed XF86_SVGA server which was the only one that a trident 9680
chipset can use.  www.xfree86.org has a list of video cards and what server
has to be used w/ each.  I also installed KDE which looks fantastic.
The only thing I need to do is configure my PPP account.   I can't seem to
find kppp in kde so I might have to do it by hand from a command prompt.
Any info on that? donoli
 
 
 

XF86_SVGA

Post by Kingshuk Majumda » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Hi, I'm trying to install Linux 6.0 in my PC but it couldn't find the video
card Diamond Viper
V 770. XFree86 doesnot yet support that card. I'm looking fot the driver of
V770.  Is there anyone
who had problems with this card or do anyone know if someone wrote the driver
for this card?
What should I do to solve this problem (other than buying some other video card
or choosing the
VGA 16 option)?
-Kingshuk.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Kingshuk Majumdar                  |  Work Phone: (513) 556-0513
  Department of Physics              |  Fax:        (513) 556-3425

  P.0. Box 210011                    |  Home Page:
  Cincinnati, OH 45221-0011          |  http://www.physics.uc.edu/~king
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

XF86_SVGA

Post by John Solto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Hi, I'm trying to install Linux 6.0 in my PC but it couldn't find the video
> card Diamond Viper
> V 770. XFree86 doesnot yet support that card. I'm looking fot the driver of
> V770.  Is there anyone
> who had problems with this card or do anyone know if someone wrote the driver
> for this card?
> What should I do to solve this problem (other than buying some other video card
> or choosing the
> VGA 16 option)?
> -Kingshuk.

>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Kingshuk Majumdar                  |  Work Phone: (513) 556-0513
>   Department of Physics              |  Fax:        (513) 556-3425

>   P.0. Box 210011                    |  Home Page:
>   Cincinnati, OH 45221-0011          |  http://www.physics.uc.edu/~king
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    www.nvidia.com  and get their RIVA-X-GLX-1.0-glibc-i386-dyn.tar.gz file.
You'll need to read the instructions carefully, but that file was all I needed to
get my Diamond V770/Ultra running under RH 6.0

    Good luck,

    John

 
 
 

1. RedHat + XF86_SVGA + TM5200 != Slackw + XF86_SVGA + TM5200

Ok, it's a silly subject but the point is this:

using the same XF86Config and the same machine, XF86_SVGA from Red Hat
does not work but XF86_SVGA from Slackware does.

I did an "X -configured" on both binaries and it seems that they are
both based on the same XF86 code, but the binaries are quite
different.

In any case, I copied the X binary from Slackware and it looks fine.

I'd like to get this working with the "distribution" setup though,
perhaps there is another problem I'm missing.

Bill
--
William York

2. Linux Not Multiprocessor-Capable

3. XF86_SVGA -quiet fails to find PCI base address, XF86_SVGA works

4. a better description of the question.

5. XF86_SVGA + Trident 9440 = Gray Vertical Lines?

6. Grainy X server with RIVA 128

7. XF86_SVGA sees only 64k of 4MB memory!

8. Linux and Novell NetWare 4.0

9. Viper V770 Ultra -- XF86_SVGA?

10. Problem to start X by using XF86_SVGA at high resolution

11. Acer 332T and XF86_SVGA problem

12. WD90C24 won't do 800x600 on 755CX LCD w/XF86_SVGA v3.1.2

13. XF86_SVGA doesn't start when kernel 2.0.35 is compiled with gcc-2.8.1