USR 56K Sportster PnP Modem and Redhat 5.2 fustration

USR 56K Sportster PnP Modem and Redhat 5.2 fustration

Post by . » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have a USR 56k internal PnP modem (with no jumpers).  It is COM 3 IRQ5.  I
am having a hell of a time getting it to work.  I have tried everything: all
the HOW-TO's, FAQ's, etc.  I used isapnp/pnpdump.  got a isapnp.conf file
set up.  used setserial.  All the config files "seem" set up correctly.
When I try something like :

echo ATH0 > /dev/ttyS2 I get nothing (no error, no response).  In minicom I
can dial any number but I don't get anything - no response, no error, no
nothing. Under KDE 's kppp it just says "modem is busy" when I try and run a
test.  It is very weird because everything seems to be set up right but the
modem just does nothing....no errors...nothing - it's totally dead.  In the
process of trying to configure this modem I have made some improvements as
far as getting things like echo ATH0 > /dev/ttyS2 to work without giving me
an input/output error, and getting minicom to work without giving me an
error message.  But now it "totally dead".

I am TOTALLY stuck.  I have been reading many posting about this same USR
modem and have 2 questions:

#1 does anyone have any ideas I can try to get this working?  Any
troubleshooting tips? Any step by step guides? anything?

#2 am I better off just getting another modem?  Has anyone gotten this
particular modem to work with RedHat 5.2?

USR 56K Sportster PnP Modem and Redhat 5.2 fustration

Post by Dave Fure » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have a USR 56k internal PnP voice/fax modem, and it works fine under
RedHat 5.1 and 5.2.  Firstly, are you sure your modem isn't a dreaded
"WinModem" (modems that require Windows drivers to make them operate
properly)?  Usually these modems sell for $29-$49 US while my USR 56k
modem sold for $129.

You can look at my linux notes for some possible help
(http://www.inficad.com/~furey/linux_notes.html), however, it seems that
you tried the various steps I used to get my modem working.

Good Luck....

Dave

> I have a USR 56k internal PnP modem (with no jumpers).  It is COM 3 IRQ5.  I
> am having a hell of a time getting it to work.  I have tried everything: all
> the HOW-TO's, FAQ's, etc.  I used isapnp/pnpdump.  got a isapnp.conf file
> set up.  used setserial.  All the config files "seem" set up correctly.
> When I try something like :

> echo ATH0 > /dev/ttyS2 I get nothing (no error, no response).  In minicom I
> can dial any number but I don't get anything - no response, no error, no
> nothing. Under KDE 's kppp it just says "modem is busy" when I try and run a
> test.  It is very weird because everything seems to be set up right but the
> modem just does nothing....no errors...nothing - it's totally dead.  In the
> process of trying to configure this modem I have made some improvements as
> far as getting things like echo ATH0 > /dev/ttyS2 to work without giving me
> an input/output error, and getting minicom to work without giving me an
> error message.  But now it "totally dead".

> I am TOTALLY stuck.  I have been reading many posting about this same USR
> modem and have 2 questions:

> #1 does anyone have any ideas I can try to get this working?  Any
> troubleshooting tips? Any step by step guides? anything?

> #2 am I better off just getting another modem?  Has anyone gotten this
> particular modem to work with RedHat 5.2?

USR 56K Sportster PnP Modem and Redhat 5.2 fustration

Post by . » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

It is not a Winmodem (mine cost ~$129 too).  I had some problems getting it
to work on NT even - although I finally got it to work.  I mention this only
because I have installed literally hundreds of modems on NT and never had so
many problems.

On NT it is COM 3 IRQ 7 I/O 02F8-02FF.  These same settings on Linux give me
nothing.  I'll keep trying.

As an aside, it bothers me that 3Com is selling these same modems as
"jumpered" and "jumperless" without clearly stating which it is on this box.
I have noticed that other people have this EXACT same modem but theirs came
with jumpers - same box, same serial #, etc.  I also don't think I have ever
seen a particular modem have so many "why won't this work" posts to the
newsgroups.  If it cost more for jumpers - fine - I'd pay the extra $10.
But let me know what I am buying and don't try and scam me.

I would defintely agree with a post on this thread - if you are installing
Linux with a 56K v.90 USR, make you life easier and get the external
version.

>I have a USR 56k internal PnP modem (with no jumpers).  It is COM 3 IRQ5.
>am having a hell of a time getting it to work.  I have tried everything:
all
>the HOW-TO's, FAQ's, etc.  I used isapnp/pnpdump.  got a isapnp.conf file
>set up.  used setserial.  All the config files "seem" set up correctly.
>When I try something like :

>echo ATH0 > /dev/ttyS2 I get nothing (no error, no response).  In minicom I
>can dial any number but I don't get anything - no response, no error, no
>nothing. Under KDE 's kppp it just says "modem is busy" when I try and run
>test.  It is very weird because everything seems to be set up right but the
>modem just does nothing....no errors...nothing - it's totally dead.  In the
>process of trying to configure this modem I have made some improvements as
>far as getting things like echo ATH0 > /dev/ttyS2 to work without giving me
>an input/output error, and getting minicom to work without giving me an
>error message.  But now it "totally dead".

>I am TOTALLY stuck.  I have been reading many posting about this same USR
>modem and have 2 questions:

>#1 does anyone have any ideas I can try to get this working?  Any
>troubleshooting tips? Any step by step guides? anything?

>#2 am I better off just getting another modem?  Has anyone gotten this
>particular modem to work with RedHat 5.2?

USR 56K Sportster PnP Modem and Redhat 5.2 fustration

Post by Green Manalish » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Those winmodems are hard to identify by looking at the box (even with a magnifying
glass).  I bought this USR internal fax/modem (sic) the other day.  Then when I'm
installing the * I notice that the drivers being pumped into my filesystem
have names like: winmodem this and winmodem that.  CHRIST!  How did this thing get
in MY computer???  Upon reinspection, this time with a microscope, I noticed that
the last system requirement was: Windows 95 or 98.  This could be one way of
knowing what to throw back at the salesman and what to bring to the cashier.  Good
luck in your modem hunting expedition.

Green

Post by Rich Pern » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>As an aside, it bothers me that 3Com is selling these same modems as
>"jumpered" and "jumperless" without clearly stating which it is on this

box.

Great way to save a buck, eh?

BTW, what Windows tells you is the IRQ and COM port it is using aren't
always accurate.  Run a DOS comm program (Terminate, Boyan, Procomm DOS,
whatever) from within Windows to get the *real* settings.

Quote:>I would defintely agree with a post on this thread - if you are installing
>Linux with a 56K v.90 USR, make you life easier and get the external
>version.

No doubt.  I got screwed with the same kind of modem you did, and I didn't
realize that 3Com had stopped using jumpers on their "real" internal
faxmodems.  Talk about a bunch of *s; and what kills me is they still
have the gall to charge at least $30 more than anybody else for their
internal modems.

Rich

Post by Hooda Ges » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Those winmodems are hard to identify by looking at the box (even with a
magnifying
>glass).  I bought this USR internal fax/modem (sic) the other day.
Then when I'm
>installing the * I notice that the drivers being pumped into my
filesystem
>have names like: winmodem this and winmodem that.  CHRIST!  How did
this thing get
>in MY computer???  Upon reinspection, this time with a microscope, I

noticed that

That's strange... Especially since the box it comes in has WINMODEM in
large letters across it.

Don't believe me? Look for yourself...

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Now, if you bough t the modem from someone who had it in a little baggie
or a plain white box then you aren't buying a genuine 3Com modem, you're
buying a discounted OEM product and taking your chances in order to save
a few bucks.

Sometimes you can get great deals that way... but you'd better know
exactly what you're doing...

Hooda

USR 56K Sportster PnP Modem and Redhat 5.2 fustration

Post by Green Manalish » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >Those winmodems are hard to identify by looking at the box (even with a
> magnifying
> >glass).  I bought this USR internal fax/modem (sic) the other day.
> Then when I'm
> >installing the * I notice that the drivers being pumped into my
> filesystem
> >have names like: winmodem this and winmodem that.  CHRIST!  How did
> this thing get
> >in MY computer???  Upon reinspection, this time with a microscope, I
> noticed that

> That's strange... Especially since the box it comes in has WINMODEM in
> large letters across it.

> Don't believe me? Look for yourself...

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Good grief.  Do you really think I would miss "the large letters"?  Where
are you coming from?  Here's a secret: USR/3Com makes more than one modem
(!) and the big beautiful boxes they put these things in is sitting on my
desk as I type.  And guess what?  Well, like I already said, there is not
one mention of it being a winmodem.  So there.

Quote:> Now, if you bough t the modem from someone who had it in a little baggie

Post by Hooda Ges » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> That's strange... Especially since the box it comes in has WINMODEM
in
>> large letters across it.

>> Don't believe me? Look for yourself...

>> http://www.3com.com/client/pcd/products/prod-winmod5683.html

>Good grief.  Do you really think I would miss "the large letters"?
Where
>are you coming from?  Here's a secret: USR/3Com makes more than one
modem
>(!) and the big beautiful boxes they put these things in is sitting on
my
>desk as I type.  And guess what?  Well, like I already said, there is
not
>one mention of it being a winmodem.  So there.

No, I don't think you would miss the big red letters. I do think,
however, that you could buy a Winmodem that someone placed in a standard
Sportster box. I also think you could get really confused by file that
contains winmodem definition (.INF) files along with the same type files
for the Sportster and Courier models and which Windows installation
loads into the INF directory whether it will use them or not.

I also think you ought to go to Control Panel/Modems and see what the
modem is defined as. make sure the definition is what you think it is
and then go into a terminal program and give the modem the ati7 command.

If it still comes out as a Winmodem, go back to the dealer you bought it
from and demand to know why he sold you a Winmodem in a non-Winmodem
box.

Do all this before you accuse USR/3Com of putting a Winmodem in a
non-Winmodem box.

Hooda

1. RedHat 5.2 and USR 56k Voice Modem

Is it possible that the USR 56k internal faxmodem with voice
capabilities is a winmodem?

I've installed the ZIPSlack version of Slackware and RedHat 5.2 in an
actual partition and I can't get my modem to work with either of them
... either with Minicom or with anything closely approximating a PPP
connection.

Anyone have any suggestions?

isapnp runs at bootup and it seems to make it through the
configuration and see the modem ... but nothing seems to be working.

Any help will be appreciated.

  Ax

2. juke: Invalid CDB

3. USR 5687-02 PnP internal modem and Redhat 5.2

4. Aix 3.2 Named Fixes

5. popd.c and popper for solaris

6. Modem problems with USR Sportster Voice 33.6 PnP and RedHat

7. Mount the DOS-format Partition

8. USR 56K PnP problems in RH 5.2, slow port?

9. USR 56k modem + RH Linux 5.2

10. RH 5.2, USR 56 Pnp modem (NOT Winmodem)) - Finally!

11. 56K usr sportster modem

12. COM Port setting:USR 56k Sportster Modem Initialization