Howto stop the xdm login (level 5) and get a console?

Howto stop the xdm login (level 5) and get a console?

Post by Malcolm Hudso » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 06:49:19



G'day!
Made some changes following suggestions for tt fonts.
Must have messed up, and now the screen just flashes after
the auto login through Mandrake 7.0
Ctrl-Alt-BS doesn't stop the blinking and I can't work out how
to get out of this mess, just have to crash out and reboot.
Can't get it to do any different on the reboot however.
I type "I" following Mandrake screen prompt to break in,
but don't seem to be able to turn off the auto login.
Any suggestions would be most helpful!!!
Malcolm
 
 
 

Howto stop the xdm login (level 5) and get a console?

Post by TheMartia » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:05:45


To get out of this one try this:

Alt Ctrl f1

Not seen Mandrake but under RH you do this to change your default runlevel to
get back to a command line logon

edit your /etc/inittab and change the line that looks like this

id:5:initdefault:

to

id:3:initdefault:

David
--
Sydney, Australia



Quote:> G'day!
> Made some changes following suggestions for tt fonts.
> Must have messed up, and now the screen just flashes after
> the auto login through Mandrake 7.0
> Ctrl-Alt-BS doesn't stop the blinking and I can't work out how
> to get out of this mess, just have to crash out and reboot.
> Can't get it to do any different on the reboot however.
> I type "I" following Mandrake screen prompt to break in,
> but don't seem to be able to turn off the auto login.
> Any suggestions would be most helpful!!!
> Malcolm

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

 
 
 

Howto stop the xdm login (level 5) and get a console?

Post by Cameron Ker » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:52:34




> To get out of this one try this:

> Alt Ctrl f1

If that doesn't work (and it never seems to work for me), just hit
ctrl-alt-del (this is graceful under linux), and at the lilo prompt (or
whatever you use), enter "linux 1". The 1 will take you to run-level 1,
so you can make the edition. After that, you can type telinit 3 to take
you to run-level 3.

Note that not all distos are the same on this. For example: Slackware
Linux, by default, has only VT6 up when it is in runlevel 4 (runlevel 5
on most other distros).

HIH -- Cameron Kerr

 
 
 

Howto stop the xdm login (level 5) and get a console?

Post by Bill Unr » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 04:37:07



]G'day!
]Made some changes following suggestions for tt fonts.
]Must have messed up, and now the screen just flashes after
]the auto login through Mandrake 7.0
]Ctrl-Alt-BS doesn't stop the blinking and I can't work out how
]to get out of this mess, just have to crash out and reboot.

alt-ctrl-F2, alt-ctrl-F3, ... alt-ctrl-F6

Or reboot in single user mode (linux 1 at LILO prompt) and change
/etc/inittab

]Can't get it to do any different on the reboot however.
]I type "I" following Mandrake screen prompt to break in,
]but don't seem to be able to turn off the auto login.
]Any suggestions would be most helpful!!!
]Malcolm

 
 
 

Howto stop the xdm login (level 5) and get a console?

Post by TheMartia » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:30:34


Forgot to mention "linux single" at the LILO prompt also.

Interesting not seen Alt Ctrl f1 fail, what distribution are you using? Seen
alt ctrl bs fail after being disabled in the XF86Config file, maybee its also
possible to disable Atl Ctrl F1.

I mainly use RH, moving to Debian when the G4 Powerbook arrives. Have enough
problems in day to day work, moving from Solaris, BSD, AIX, Linux and
Windoze.

Soemone told me a while back that Mandrake was RH based, no ideas if thats
true?

David
--
Sydney, Australia





> > To get out of this one try this:

> > Alt Ctrl f1

> If that doesn't work (and it never seems to work for me), just hit
> ctrl-alt-del (this is graceful under linux), and at the lilo prompt (or
> whatever you use), enter "linux 1". The 1 will take you to run-level 1,
> so you can make the edition. After that, you can type telinit 3 to take
> you to run-level 3.

> Note that not all distos are the same on this. For example: Slackware
> Linux, by default, has only VT6 up when it is in runlevel 4 (runlevel 5
> on most other distros).

> HIH -- Cameron Kerr

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
 
 
 

Howto stop the xdm login (level 5) and get a console?

Post by Michael V. Ferrant » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:54:01



Quote:>I type "I" following Mandrake screen prompt to break in,
>but don't seem to be able to turn off the auto login.
>Any suggestions would be most helpful!!!

        Not sure where your first free virtual terminal is located with
Mandrake, but with Debian, the first six are reserved.  When I don't feel
like logging in via xdm, I press Ctrl+Alt+F1...F6 to get to a text prompt,
and Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to the cheesy xdm login screen.  Another way is
to type "linux single" or "linux 1" (that's a one, not an L) at the lilo
prompt to boot to the single-user runlevel.  "linux 3" should also get you
to a non-GUI runlevel for Mandrake (I think 5 is Mandrake's GUI runlevel).

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Linux Counter Reg.ID# 177869    http://counter.li.org    GNUke The Planet!
Sign The Linux Driver Petition:   www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

 
 
 

Howto stop the xdm login (level 5) and get a console?

Post by j.. » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:32:10



> I type "I" following Mandrake screen prompt to break in,
> but don't seem to be able to turn off the auto login.
> Any suggestions would be most helpful!!!
> Malcolm

        uninstall xdm! It's a pain

        try: rpm -e xdm

        jonas

 
 
 

1. Getting users to show up 'on console' with xdm logins under Solaris 2.5

I would like a user that logs into one of our workstations from the xdm
authentication widget to show up as on the console in the output from
w and finger, so the following were added to GiveConsole:

        sessreg -a -l console $USER </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1
        touch /dev/console

The problem is that this does not work consistently.  Has anyone else tried
to do this?  Have you been successful?  What needs to be donw to make this
work?

Thanks,
Dan Ehrlich

--
Dan Ehrlich - Systems Analyst - PSU Computer Science and Engineering
"Universities should be safe havens where ruthless examination of realities
 will not be distorted by the aim to please or inhibited by the risk of
 displeasure." - Kingman Brewster

2. [2.5.38] OSS/sound locking+memory corruption problem

3. Q: Stopping console msgs under xdm?

4. problem with my nntp

5. RE : XDM shutdown - getting a console

6. mounted NFS blocks "forever"

7. xdm - How to go back to regular black and white login console?

8. Multiprocessor Support?

9. how to run xdm w/o login screen on console???

10. /dev/console msgs overwrite Xdm login screen

11. how to run xdm w/o login screen on console???

12. exiting XDM login console with ctrl-R?

13. Can't login via xdm, but can via telnet/console