Need a Hayes modem buy confirmation

Post by William Massen » Fri, 25 Dec 1998 04:00:00

My Compaq came with an internal Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI modem,
which apparently can't be made to work under Linux.  So I need to buy
another one.

I am looking to buy a Hayes ACCURA 56K V90 INT FAX internal modem,
because the specs say that PnP can be disabled on the card via jumper
settings, and it doesn't appear to be a Winmodem.  Is anyone
successfully using this card, or something similar?  Thanks.

Post by Rick Moe » Fri, 25 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: My Compaq came with an internal Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI modem,
: which apparently can't be made to work under Linux.  So I need to buy
: another one.

: I am looking to buy a Hayes ACCURA 56K V90 INT FAX internal modem,
: because the specs say that PnP can be disabled on the card via jumper
: settings, and it doesn't appear to be a Winmodem.  Is anyone
: successfully using this card, or something similar?  Thanks.

Although I'm un-fond of both internal modems and Rockwell-based
modems, I do own a Rockwell-based Hayes, and you might benefit
from my review, at ftp://linuxmafia.com/pub/hardware/optima-review.txt
You might be entertained, even if you aren't enlightened.

Please see also:
http://hugin.imat.com/~rick/faq/#internalmodem
http://hugin.imat.com/~rick/faq/#whichmodem

As it says at the latter link, I still think you cannot beat a USR
V.Everything External.

--
Cheers,                                     Bah humbug.  Shop late.
Rick Moen                                   Happy unChristmas.

1. Help needed with a Hayes Accura PCI modem

Before anyone say's it, I know!
I actually phoned Hayes technical support and asked them if this modem was
compatible with Linux and they said that it was and that they would email me
some instructions on how to set it up, which they did.

However, after following the instructions it does not work.  Under windows
the modem installs on com port 3 with an irq of 17 and i/o port ecd8-ecdf
but under Linux Red Hat v7.0 it installs as irq 17 with i/o port ecd8.

Hayes instructions suggest to make sure the com ports in the BIOS have real
address (i.e. 3f8 and 2f8) and then do the following command
setserial /dev/ttySx uart 16550A port 0xecd8 irq 17 (where x is the serial
port that it is connected to) and then use minicom to test it.  I used ttyS2
and then tried ttyS3.  The i/o and irq were discovered in the /proc/pci just
as they said they would be.

So my questions are
1) should I disable my com ports in the BIOS (I don't use them for
anything)?
2) how do I know that the modem has installed on com3?
3) do I need to enable any special settings in the kernel and recompile it?
4) am I supposed to use the Lucent win modem that I have heard off and if so
how?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Pep

2. Newbie looking for resources

3. Hayes 336 fax/modem PCMCIA problem w/RH 6.1 -- can't activate modem

4. more sendmail dns problems

5. Warning-Best Buy/Hayes H08-03357

6. Korn Shell

7. Need Help: buying a unix modem

8. Tropez

9. need recommandation: buying new modem

10. Need advice in buying new modem

11. information to buy memory and modem needed

12. Need to buy a modem

13. Just a Confirmation for GVC Modem