Problem mounting CD-ROM (Newbie)

Post by CYCLON » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi....

I purchased Redhat linux ver 5.1, June 1998 CD and installed it
sucessfully... but for problems with mounting my CD-ROM

I have a Dysan CD-202E cd-rom, ATAPI

When I try to mount the CD-ROM, it always returns the error that the
"iso9660" is not supported by the kernel.

What do I do? ..... Pleez help....

Cyclone

Problem mounting CD-ROM (Newbie)

Post by Georg » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

The message says exactly what the problem is. Linux needs to be set up to
suit your system.

You will have to recompile the kernel with ISO9660 support (under
Filesystems). See the recompiling HOWTO.

George

Post by James L. Hayn » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: When I try to mount the CD-ROM, it always returns the error that the
: "iso9660" is not supported by the kernel.

You just need to compile a new kernel and include iso9660 support.

--
Rev. james
Love spelled backwards is e-v-o-l, Evil! Granted, it's spelled

1. Problems Mounting CD-ROM - Newbie

Hi.....

I have installed the Redhat Linux ver5.1 (June 1998 CD) but I am unable to
mount my CD-ROM. I have a Dysan 202e, ATAPI CD-rom and as I understand it, I
need to mount it using the iso9660 filesystem type.

My "/proc/filesystems" does not contain the iso9660 f/s type. I tried to
mount it using:
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"

but received the error: iso9660 not supptorted by kernel.

According to the "man fs", if a fs type is not supported then it should be
created by adding the appropriate module or recompiling the kernel.
Naturally being a newbie, I do not know where to start.  Further, since the
iso9660 fs type is most common for CD-ROMs, should it not have been
installed when I installed the entire Redhat Linux 5.1 package?

What do I to solve this problem?

Thanx,
Cyclone

2. my mouse is screwy and the screen craps out... HELP!

4. Bintec problems

5. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

6. Now I've gone and lost my hard disk

7. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

8. ATI rage pro under RedHat 6.1

9. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

10. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

11. YA newbie question: mounting SCSI CD-ROM drives

12. mounting cd-rom, relative newbie

13. Help with mounting CD-ROM (newbie)