Newbie needs help with Linux FT install

Post by Gly » Mon, 19 May 1997 04:00:00

I have just installed a copy of Linux FT that I got off a magazine
cover disk.  The problem I have is that only 10MB of stuff was
installed to the HDD and the rest is accessed from the install CD-ROM.
Is there an easy way to copy the stuff off of the CD onto the HDD and
undo all the shitty links it has created ?

Nik

Post by Simon Barna » Mon, 19 May 1997 04:00:00

>I have just installed a copy of Linux FT that I got off a magazine
>cover disk.  The problem I have is that only 10MB of stuff was
>installed to the HDD and the rest is accessed from the install CD-ROM.
>Is there an easy way to copy the stuff off of the CD onto the HDD and
>undo all the shitty links it has created ?

>Nik

If you haven't already discovered, there is a tool to allow you to
specify which packages are installed on the hd and which remain on the
cd. However there seemed no easy way to do away completely with CD and
I couldn't manage to upgrade my kernel since it meant changing all the
links. Eventually I dumped my copy and bought RH4.0.

Regards

Simon Barnard

Post by Ruediger Hels » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

|> I have just installed a copy of Linux FT that I got off a magazine
|> cover disk.  The problem I have is that only 10MB of stuff was
|> installed to the HDD and the rest is accessed from the install CD-ROM.
|> Is there an easy way to copy the stuff off of the CD onto the HDD and
|> undo all the shitty links it has created ?

There is -- please get an up-to-date copy.  The last Linux-FT we made
was in February 1996.  The successor is called Unifix Linux 2.0 and
supports CD-dependency as an optional package.

Unifix Software GmbH                            Tel +49-531-238800
Bueltenweg 27e                                  Fax +49-531-338751
D-38106 Braunschweig                            http://www.unifix.de/
Germany

Post by kbur.. » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

>I have just installed a copy of Linux FT that I got off a magazine
>cover disk.  The problem I have is that only 10MB of stuff was
>installed to the HDD and the rest is accessed from the install CD-ROM.
>Is there an easy way to copy the stuff off of the CD onto the HDD and
>undo all the shitty links it has created ?

>Nik

Reinstall and don't use the "live filesystem".  I'm just taking a wild
guess that that is your problem....hope it helps.

1. Newbie needs help with Linux FT

I recently got Computer Shopper (UK), which had Linux FT on it. Apparently it's a cut
down easy to run version of linux. I followed the instructions given by the magazine
and trashed the partitioning of one of my hard drives. The trouble seems to be this,
I have two drives, one 850MB and one 250MB. I want to split the 850 into two partitions
and have MSDOS on the first and linux on the second. At first all seems to go well.
I use FIPS to make the second partition, but when installing Linux the FDISK program
does not recognise the second partition, and only allows me to use the full 850MB of
the drive for linux.

One cause may be that I have to load a disk manager to access > 520Mb through DOS.
I can install the Linux bootstrap thing, that lets me choose which drive/partition to
boot from, and then the manager loads after that.  What am I doing wrong?

I was thinking of purhasing the full copy of Linux, but if I can't set it up the way
I want, then whats the point?

Some quick newbie questions?  What comes on the full version ? X-windows (openwindows?)
, KShell? Windows emulation? Dos emulation?

Cheers.

--
     \\|//                            \\|//
     (O O)                            (o o)

|                                              |
|----------------------------------------------|

2. 8mm DAT drives

3. Linux newbie quesion,please help, need to install Linux on 95

4. lprm with Ghostscript

5. I need help in Linux FT - seem to have memory problems!

6. HELP - Cannot load KERNEL

7. Need help with system calls for kernel upgrade with Linux-FT filecache

8. Modems using Rockwell CMV1456VQH-P chipset and Linux

9. I need help on Linux FT !!!

10. Linux newbie needs help with installing EMACS

11. Newbie needs help with Linux install, SCSI on MB

12. Linux newbie needs help with initial Macintosh install

13. Newbie needs help to install SuSE Linux 7.1 on SCSI hard drive.