Lilo problem with triple boot Linux/Win3/Win98

Lilo problem with triple boot Linux/Win3/Win98

Post by Dick Wisa » Mon, 20 May 2002 11:00:40

80:
....:....1....:....2....:....3....:....4....:....5....:....6....:....7....:....8

I'm trying to set up my computer to boot into Linux, Win98 and Win3.1, using
Lilo or Grub to select.  I've got Dos7/Win98 working pretty well from the first
(active) partition on Hda1 in the normal boot-up partition.  Linux boots up
fine, too, also on Hda, but from a much later partition.  But, something's
wrong about Dos6.2/Win3.  It boots from hdb1, first partition, and it does
boot, but it can't recognize any hard disk partitions but (it's own) C:.
I have partitions C,E,F,G,H formatted in FAT32, so Dos7 can see them,
but Dos6 can't.  Hdb has a string of plain FAT partitions which should
look to Dos6 like C,D,E,F,G,H, and to Dos7 like D,I,J,K,L,M.

There's something I don't understand (& can't find anything in the MAN or
Info files) about the Grub and Lilo config files.   They're essentially
the same, so here's the Lilo.cfg file.  The odd thing is in the second
"other" section which points to Dos6.  Notice that it's much longer than
the simple one for Dos7.  What the blazes is that section:

        map-drive=0x80
          to=0x81
        map-drive=0x81
           to=0x80

To me, it looks as though one thing is mapped to a second, which is then
mapped back to the first, but that can't be right.  Could that be the
reason for the difficulty in seeing its FAT partitions, D:, E:, F:, G:,
and H:?  Just in case, here's the whole of lilo.conf.  grub.lst is different
in form but the same in substance (& generates the same boot trouble).

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hdb4
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=" quiet"
        vga=788
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux-nonfb
        root=/dev/hdb4
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hdb4
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=Win98/DOS7
        table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/hdb1
        label=DOS6.2/Win3.1
        table=/dev/hdb
        map-drive=0x80
           to=0x81
        map-drive=0x81
           to=0x80
other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe

--

                     Snail: 37 Clinton St., Oneonta, NY 13820, USA
                     Just your opinion, please, Ma'am.  No fax.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 20 May 2002 12:27:59

> wrong about Dos6.2/Win3.  It boots from hdb1, first partition, and it
> does boot, but it can't recognize any hard disk partitions but (it's
> own) C:. I have partitions C,E,F,G,H formatted in FAT32, so Dos7 can
> see them,
> but Dos6 can't.  Hdb has a string of plain FAT partitions which should
> look to Dos6 like C,D,E,F,G,H, and to Dos7 like D,I,J,K,L,M.

There is no way anyone can make sense out of those partition IDs.  Even
Windows/DOS cannot understand such *as "C,D,E,F,G,H".  If you wish
to post the results of

# fdisk -l /dev/hda
# fdisk -l /dev/hdb

then perhaps someone might make sense out of such seeming nonsense.

Quote:> the simple one for Dos7.  What the blazes is that section:

>         map-drive=0x80
> to=0x81
> map-drive=0x81
> to=0x80

> To me, it looks as though one thing is mapped to a second, which is
> then
> mapped back to the first, but that can't be right.  Could that be the
> reason for the difficulty in seeing its FAT partitions, D:, E:, F:,
> G:,
> and H:?

lilo.conf snipped because it is irrelevant here.  It appears to work.

In your /usr/doc or perhaps /usr/share/doc directory is a subdirectory
for lilo-whatever_version_you_use.  If you cd into that subdirectory
you should see a doc directory; cd into it.  There should be a Makefile
there.  Execute

# make

and a file called user.ps should result.  If you view this file with gv
at Section 3.3.3 you will find your answer.

Post by Steve Marti » Mon, 20 May 2002 23:28:48

> There's something I don't understand

<snip>

Quote:

>         map-drive=0x80
>           to=0x81
>         map-drive=0x81
>            to=0x80

> To me, it looks as though one thing is mapped to a second, which is then
> mapped back to the first, but that can't be right.

This stanza is basically swapping the two hard drives on a logical
level for DOS's benefit. DOS/Windows want to boot from the "first"
hard drive. If you don't include this, then DOS/Win won't boot,
as it will look at hda and not find its code.

Hope this helps.

Lilo problem with triple boot Linux/Win3/Win98

Post by fred murph » Tue, 21 May 2002 21:11:22

Not at all the case. It may LOOK as though it maps it to the other, then
maps it back, but really it is a direct swap. when you run the
/sbin/lilo command it makes it all work properly ... trust me, i have a
bit in my lilo.conf file (that i put there myself) that looks exactly
the same. I use it to make sure that WinXP doesn't have a cow about not
being on the first drive in the system.

<-------------  8>< snip   ----------->
| "other" section which points to Dos6.  Notice that it's much longer
than
| the simple one for Dos7.  What the blazes is that section:
|
|         map-drive=0x80
|   to=0x81
| map-drive=0x81
|    to=0x80
|
| To me, it looks as though one thing is mapped to a second, which is
then
| mapped back to the first, but that can't be right.  Could that be the
<-------------  8>< snip   ----------->

1. Triple boot - linux, Win98, Win98?

Simply, I want to have the ability to triple boot.  One partition with
Win98 for me (read work), another with Win98 for the kids (read games) and
the rest of the disk with Linux (read more work).

I can do a double boot, Linux and Win98, but the second Win98 partition
won't boot.

Is this a limitation with Win98?  I.e. is windows detecting that there is
another windows on another partition and not allowing me to boot the second
Win98?

Thank all.

--
Andrew Tuckey

2. Sony Vaio C1 Picture book

3. Triple boot Linux, Win3, Win9x

4. ThunderLAN drivers

5. Win98 + OS/2 + Linux triple boot problem

6. For Unix communications programmers

7. Triple-boot between SCO UNIX, Win95 and Win3.11

8. Passive FTP problem with port forwarding (again)

9. Triple boot: Linux, Win2k, and Win98

10. Need HELP WITH Triple Boot - Win98, Win2k, RH Linux (again)!

11. Linux/Win98/Win2k triple boot

12. LILO booting WIN95, WIN3.1, and Linux

13. Lilo, win98, linux boot problem