DVD-ROM as CD-ROM

Post by HuckFin » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have a Toshiba made DVD-ROM installed in my Gateway2000, G6-300. Has anyone
had experience with DVD-ROM used as CD-ROM? Of course I know that the RedHat
5.1 does not support DVD.

Thank you
Kiyoshi
Yoshikawa, Kiyoshi

DVD-ROM as CD-ROM

Post by Jay Tambol » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've probably got the same DVD drive, and I've had no problems using it as a
CD-ROM drive. It seems to work the same way as a normal CD-ROM. I've even put in
a DVD movie, and I can get a list of the files, just like Windows would give me.

> I have a Toshiba made DVD-ROM installed in my Gateway2000, G6-300. Has anyone
> had experience with DVD-ROM used as CD-ROM? Of course I know that the RedHat
> 5.1 does not support DVD.

> Thank you
> Kiyoshi
> Yoshikawa, Kiyoshi

DVD-ROM as CD-ROM

Post by Claude Allar » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've just installed RedHat 5.1 on my Thinkpad 770ED which has a DVD.  I installed
right from the CD (\dosutils\autoboot).  It recognizes this drive and treats it
like a CD ROM.

Claude Allard

> I have a Toshiba made DVD-ROM installed in my Gateway2000, G6-300. Has anyone
> had experience with DVD-ROM used as CD-ROM? Of course I know that the RedHat
> 5.1 does not support DVD.

> Thank you
> Kiyoshi
> Yoshikawa, Kiyoshi

DVD-ROM as CD-ROM

Post by (Cybiades)Peter » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I've probably got the same DVD drive, and I've had no problems using it as a
> CD-ROM drive. It seems to work the same way as a normal CD-ROM. I've even put in
> a DVD movie, and I can get a list of the files, just like Windows would give me.

Wow, you learn something new every day :) After being told that UDF
support wasn't in kernel 2.0.35, I left my DVD's alone...I read this,
and lo and behold, I can mount one as iso9660 and get a ls -al on it!
There you go :)
'Later
Peter
--
Cybiades: Computing For Fun
http://www.ticnet.com/azenomei/fels/fels.html

DVD-ROM as CD-ROM

Post by Mark Rittma » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have a gateway G6-400 with a Toshiba DVD Rom. No problems whatsoever with
RH 5.1 treating it as a normal CD ROM

Mark

>I've just installed RedHat 5.1 on my Thinkpad 770ED which has a DVD.  I
installed
>right from the CD (\dosutils\autoboot).  It recognizes this drive and
treats it
>like a CD ROM.

>Claude Allard

>> I have a Toshiba made DVD-ROM installed in my Gateway2000, G6-300. Has
anyone
>> had experience with DVD-ROM used as CD-ROM? Of course I know that the
RedHat
>> 5.1 does not support DVD.

>> Thank you
>> Kiyoshi
>> Yoshikawa, Kiyoshi

DVD-ROM as CD-ROM

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>> I've probably got the same DVD drive, and I've had no problems using it as a
>> CD-ROM drive. It seems to work the same way as a normal CD-ROM. I've even put
>in
>> a DVD movie, and I can get a list of the files, just like Windows would give
>me.

>Wow, you learn something new every day :) After being told that UDF
>support wasn't in kernel 2.0.35, I left my DVD's alone...I read this,
>and lo and behold, I can mount one as iso9660 and get a ls -al on it!
>There you go :)

Are you sure it hasn't had iso9660 added to the UDF? When I eject a UDF
from my HP8100 it says "do you want to make it iso9660 compatible" or
words to that effect. IIRC you can't use the last 20Mb or so on the disk
for anything else EXCEPT writing an iso9660 directory structure.

I would guess the person who wrote your UDF added iso9660 on eject.
Trousers with a single hole in their waistband are topologically equivalent
to a doughnut. These sugarcoated trousers have yet to catch on at fast-food
outlets! (SuperStrings by F. David Peat)

If replying by e-mail please mail wol. Anything else may get missed amongst
the spam.

1. external cd-rom or dvd-rom for redhat 7.2

hello - could anyone recommend an external cd-rom or dvd-rom that will
work under a default laptop installation of redhat 7.2? I have a dell
c610 with W2K installed and wish to install redhat 7.2 and then use
the drive with it. I am assuming that using a PCMCIA or parallel
connection would be easier than configuring USB? and help would be
appreciated. thanks.

2. AIX 4.3 and Apache 1.3.1 binary

3. HP CD-Writer CD-R/RW+DVD-ROM (9900ci) works with Linux

4. Trash directory

6. Samba and shares

7. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

8. Xdm turns off monitor when logout -- how to avoid?

9. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

10. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

11. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

12. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

13. CD-ROm ? WHat CD-ROM