Printer!!! Can Brother HL-720 work under Linux

Printer!!! Can Brother HL-720 work under Linux

Post by Dapeng Zh » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

It is such a wonderful to linux user, but it is a pain in the neck to go
back to windows every time i want to print something.  Brother HL-720 is
the only printer i have,  so does it work under Linux?  The official
words from Brother is that it doesn't.  But is there anyone out there
who did this?  Please help me!  Printing is the only reason that NT
takes up half of my hard disk.

Please help!!!  Thank you very much.

PS.  Brother HL-720 is labelled for windows, which means it depends on
Windows's GUI driver to drive it.  e.g if i do cat "Hello World" >
/dev/lp1, it won't print anything.

If you could cc me when you reply, it would be much appreciated.

Dapeng

Printer!!! Can Brother HL-720 work under Linux

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hello:

> It is such a wonderful to linux user, but it is a pain in the neck to go
> back to windows every time i want to print something.  Brother HL-720 is
> the only printer i have,  so does it work under Linux?  The official
> words from Brother is that it doesn't.  But is there anyone out there
> who did this?  Please help me!  Printing is the only reason that NT
> takes up half of my hard disk.

I didn't save the URL, but somebody recently posted that they'd written a
Brother HL-720 driver for Ghostscript.  Try doing a Deja News search, and
you should be able to turn it up.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Printer!!! Can Brother HL-720 work under Linux

Post by Sam Mos » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello:

> It is such a wonderful to linux user, but it is a pain in the neck to go
> back to windows every time i want to print something.  Brother HL-720 is
> the only printer i have,  so does it work under Linux?  The official
> words from Brother is that it doesn't.  But is there anyone out there
> who did this?  Please help me!  Printing is the only reason that NT
> takes up half of my hard disk.

> Please help!!!  Thank you very much.

> PS.  Brother HL-720 is labelled for windows, which means it depends on
> Windows's GUI driver to drive it.  e.g if i do cat "Hello World" >
> /dev/lp1, it won't print anything.

> If you could cc me when you reply, it would be much appreciated.

> Dapeng

I noticed this on comp.os.linux.announce only yesterday, from a guy whose

-- begin quote --
Hello,

I wrote a Ghostscript driver for the Brother HL 720 laser printer. I
submitted it to Aladdin Enterprises and it should be included in
upcoming versions of Ghostscript (i.e. the ones coming AFTER 5.10).

This driver is completely free from copyrights by Brother or Microsoft
(the printer is not a true WPS printer, which is why I could obtain
documentation). You should not that such documentation is not available
for Oki and Canon (LBP 660) printers which prevents us from writing
drivers for them (thanks to a Crimosoft Non Disclosure Agreement...)

Some facts about the driver and the printer
  = The printer is a 600dpi, 6 ppm , 300$ printer
  = With ghostscript you can print at approximately 5 ppm
  = It took less than 50 hours to develop the driver

People (especially maintainers of Ghostscript packages for commercial
distributions) who want to use the driver with gs3.33 can contact me and
I will send them my patch. (The patch has already been posted in
fr.comp.os.linux a few months ago). Maybe normal users can wait for
debian and red hat packages.

- --
        Sincerely

        P.O. Gaillard

-- end quote --

Hope this helps. It doesn't help me though, since I have the above
mentioned Canon LBP-660 :-(

Regards,

Sam.

--