Windows 2000 confused by Linux partitions

Windows 2000 confused by Linux partitions

Post by bomdig » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:36:30

Hello,

I have a consistently recurring problem with my dual booting setup
win2k/linux setup.  I have win2k installed on my second hard disk so that If
it was the single master harddrive, it would boot without trouble.  When I
boot windows from Grub I get a "chkdsk" messages while booting.

The volume \\?\Volume{along-ID-number} has to be checked for errors. Chkdsk
tells me that the
File-System is FAT32 (with the ext2/3-Partition) or FAT (with the smaller
swap partition). When performing the check, chkdsk recognizes that this is
no Windows-Drive and aborts.

Booting takes very long. For example immediately before the login-screen
appears, it shows just the light-blue screen with a mouse cursor for over a
wholeminute.

Accessing the Logical Disc Manager in the Computer Management takes 2
Minutes.

When I reenter linux, I always have to fsck the same ext2 partition before I
can mount it since somehow win2k messed it up.

Thanks for your help.
Osei

Post by Paul Lutu » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:54:17

> Hello,

> I have a consistently recurring problem with my dual booting setup
> win2k/linux setup.  I have win2k installed on my second hard disk so that If
> it was the single master harddrive, it would boot without trouble.

So put Windows back as the primary master hard drive, and make Linux the
slave.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Post by Timothy Murp » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 23:12:44

>> I have a consistently recurring problem with my dual booting setup
>> win2k/linux setup.  I have win2k installed on my second hard disk so that If
>> it was the single master harddrive, it would boot without trouble.
>So put Windows back as the primary master hard drive, and make Linux the
>slave.

Or show us your /boot/grub/grub.conf (or menu.lst).

I have your setup, and have no problem.
My entry for W2k in grub.conf reads:
=====================
title Windows 2000
map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
=====================

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

Windows 2000 confused by Linux partitions

Post by bomdig » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 01:36:52

Well, would I be able to boot linux that way?
Possibly by installing grub on the MBR of the windows disk?
Anyone with such a setup that worked?
Thanks.

>> Hello,

>> I have a consistently recurring problem with my dual booting setup
>> win2k/linux setup.  I have win2k installed on my second hard disk so that
>> If it was the single master harddrive, it would boot without trouble.

> So put Windows back as the primary master hard drive, and make Linux the
> slave.

Windows 2000 confused by Linux partitions

Post by bomdig » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 01:42:37

Ok,
# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1         4     32098+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2             5      1789  14338012+   f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda3          1790      2554   6144862+  83  Linux
/dev/hda4          2555      4865  18563107+  93  Amoeba
/dev/hda5             5       132   1028128+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda6           133       234    819283+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7           235       362   1028128+  83  Linux
/dev/hda8           363      1127   6144831   83  Linux
/dev/hda9          1128      1789   5317483+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2434 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1       510   4096543+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdb2           511      2434  15454530    c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

-----portion of menu.lst for win2k -----------------
title=Windows 2000
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
#hide (hd0,3) (this is the troubled partition - this line didnt work)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
-----end cut-----------------------------------------

This is the output of checking the partion when i boot back into linux
as a result i have to do a non-automatic fsck which eventually fixes the
partion.

# e2fsck -p /dev/hda4
/dev/hda4: Note: if there is several inode or block bitmap blocks
which require relocation, or one part of the inode table
which must be moved, you may wish to try running e2fsck
with the '-b 8193' option first.  The problem may lie only
with the primary block group descriptor, and the backup
block group descriptor may be OK.

/dev/hda4: Inode bitmap for group 960 is not in group.  (block 2147483647)

/dev/hda4: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
        (i.e., without -a or -p options)

Output of e2fsck

# e2fsck /dev/hda4
e2fsck 1.29 (24-Sep-2002)
Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
/dev/hda4 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/hda4: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/hda4: 6195/2338512 files (21.5% non-contiguous), 12459045/18563073
blocks

I found this very odd that running fsck manually required no user input even
though running it automatically wouldnt work.

Thanks
Osei

Post by John Thompso » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:16:25

> I have a consistently recurring problem with my dual booting setup
> win2k/linux setup.  I have win2k installed on my second hard disk so that If
> it was the single master harddrive, it would boot without trouble.  When I
> boot windows from Grub I get a "chkdsk" messages while booting.

This is usually the result of having the wrong partition-type flag set for
your linux partition.  Linux doesn't really care about the partition-type
flag at all, but Windows apparently does.  If it's a type that Windows
thinks it should be able to use then Windows will try to chkdsk the
partition when it boots, resulting in the error you see.

Run linux fdisk and check the partition table to see what the "Id" field
shows.  Make sure your linux partition(s) are marked type 83 (linux
native) or type 82 (linux swap).  You can use the "T" command from fdisk
to make this change.  It is a non-destructive change, so your data is safe.

--

Windows 2000 confused by Linux partitions

Post by Dave » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 17:00:05

Windows sees the linux boot partition but doesn't know what to do with
them.  Apparently when in doubt it assumes that the partition is a FAT16
type.   I think you just need to hide the linux partition from Win2k.
When booted in Windows right-click on "My Computer" and select the
"Manage" option.  Go and look at the hard drive and it should show you
all the partitions you have on each drive, linux or otherwise.  Your
linux boot partition will be seen by Win2k and given a drive letter.
Select that linux partition and right-click on it and you should have
the option to "remove the drive letter from the path."  Once you do
that, Win2k won't see it any more on boot up and will ignore it.

One word of caution:  My setup has Win2k on the first drive and linux on
a second drive.  Grub is installed on the first drive MBR and I have a
separate boot partition on the second drive where the Grub 2nd stage
loader is also located.  Everything was working great until I
accidentally double-clicked on the linux partition while in Win2k (I had
not removed it from the search path at this point) and windows tried to
open it.  I don't know what it did, but it wrote something to the
partition and reset it to FAT16.  I booted with my RH boot disk and saw
that fdisk saw it as FAT16.  I reset it to type 83 (linux) and tried to
recreate the filesystem using mke2fs but it never quite worked.  e2fsck
kept telling me that the Superblock info was messed up.  Eventually I
ended up reinstalling RH and that took care of the problem.  This is how
I learned about making the partition invisible to windows.

Good luck.

Dave