S3 trio do not run under Xwindows

Post by Rick Mo » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: I had a new computer with this video card:
:    S3 trio 64v2 with chipset 86C775
: But 'startx' sy: 'chipset unknown'
: What's the problem???

You installed the wrong X server, probably.  If you installed XFree86,
then it _may_ not be possible to support your card, yet.  That is,
the XFree86 Web site claims that XFree's S3 server supports the
S3 86C764 (Trio64), but mentions nothing about a Trio64v2.

Does the Trio64 X server work with a Trio64v2 chipset?  I have no
idea.  If you installed the S3 server, and configured it correctly,
then maybe not.  Perhaps you should ask on a newsgroup concerned with
the X Window System.  It's possible that _no_ XFree server yet supports
your chipset.

The Metrolink Web site mentions that Metro-X, similarly, supports
the Trio64, but likewise says nothing about a Trio64v2.

Finally, Xi Graphics (the "Accelerated X" product) mentions, at
<http://www.xig.com/board/bdindex.html>, that it specifically _does_
support the Trio64v2 (either 1MB or 2MB of video RAM -- you must
determine which you have).

--
Cheers,                    Facta tua Restitueri ad Status Pristinus Eius.
Rick Moen                       (May your data be restored to

Post by Tomoo Nomur » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

> : I had a new computer with this video card:
> :    S3 trio 64v2 with chipset 86C775
> : But 'startx' sy: 'chipset unknown'
> : What's the problem???

 I'm using S3 Torio64+

1.Ramdac Type s3_trio64V2
2.Ramdac speed 170MHz
3. Using Trio64V2 programable clock (MCLK 59.957MHz)
4.Chipset Trio64V2/DX rev.4
5.Chip Driver newmmio
6.videoram 2048K
7.Chip S3 86C765
8. XF86_S3 driver

It works, but with aproblem.
When draging a window, some noise remaind on the screen.

Tomoo
  Nomura Technical Management Office Ltd.
                   http://www.psn.or.jp/~nomura/

                   Fax: +81-47-390-6421