Is this Linux configuration okay?

Post by Anson Yu-Hung An » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I currently have an AMD K6 233Mhz microprocessor, a FIC PA-2011
motherboard, a Sound Blaster 16, a SMC EtherEZ (ISA) network card, an
ATI PC2TV Graphics Pro Turbo 8Mb PCI card, an old Toshiba XM5302 (4X)
cdrom and a 2.5Gb Western Digital IDE HD.
I'm a newbie and I'm trying to build my linux system using Red Hat Linux 5.1.
My current components should be compatible and can build a decent linux
box, am I right?
Maybe I need a newer and faster cdrom. They're cheap anyways. Which one
should I get? I know any ATAPI compliant CDROMs are okay....Is 12X good
enough? But they're all 32X out there. Will I get any problems?

What else do I need? Or what should I change?

I would really appreciate if someone can give me comments or suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Anson

Is this Linux configuration okay?

Post by Jens-Birger Schl » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

(Accidental answer to a normaly not read group :-)

: I currently have an AMD K6 233Mhz microprocessor, a FIC PA-2011
: motherboard, a Sound Blaster 16, a SMC EtherEZ (ISA) network card, an
: ATI PC2TV Graphics Pro Turbo 8Mb PCI card, an old Toshiba XM5302 (4X)
: cdrom and a 2.5Gb Western Digital IDE HD.
: I'm a newbie and I'm trying to build my linux system using Red Hat Linux 5.1.
: My current components should be compatible and can build a decent linux
: box, am I right?

Decent depend upon your definition. I am running a DX 486 4/100 (100Mhz)
with 16MB and 520MB hdc, 2GB hda, hda2 root partition, booting from hda1
( < 504Mb). Soudblaster compatible Vibra 16 (by creative labs), doublespeed
cdrom etc. and IMO it runs just fine.

: Maybe I need a newer and faster cdrom. They're cheap anyways. Which one
: should I get? I know any ATAPI compliant CDROMs are okay....Is 12X good
: enough? But they're all 32X out there. Will I get any problems?

The problem is always what you want to do with your box. For all standard
applications the System is - IMO - already overfit. Apropos problems: You
should check the supportet hardware list for linux. I don't know where it
is lurking around in the net. I just looked into the kernel source tree, but
can not find the hardware list. Perhaps someone else can help here.

: I would really appreciate if someone can give me comments or suggestions.
: Thanks in advance.

How many MBtes of Ram do you have installed? That is a important factor on
the total performance of the system, and you should install at least 32MB,
better 64MB for your system.

        Bye,

        Jens

1. Okay, Okay, Okay--NT and Linux

A while back I posted this question and the best response I got from a nice
gentleman in Europe, was a FAQ in German.  The problem is that I don't
spracken Deutsch!  So here it goes again:

Can anyone offer any solutions to having a Linux box dial into NT RAS for
network connectivity?

Any answers in English, Spanish, Pig Latin, and maybe even French ( after
drinking a few Coronas) would be great!

Thanks,
Nate El Great

2. Acer notebook internal modem

3. AAAAAAHHHHH...I hate Linux...okay okay..."Can't open /dev/console???"

4. backwards compatible compiles for 2.8 => 2.6

5. okay I am NEWBIE and i need some help: RPM failures????

6. 3com 905c TX-M on Sun Sparc Ultra5 (solaris 2.6)

7. named configuration - am I missing something obvious ?

8. dbx cores from another system and rltd failures

9. Q: Samba configuration.. Am I to stupid????

11. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

12. Am I touchy? Or am I right?