user cannot chdir to home

user cannot chdir to home

Post by Ivar Nilss » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:45:39



Hi!

My machine did something very strange yesterday, suddenly I couldn't access
the filessystem to save my files, kwrite said some file/directory process
had crashed.

After a reboot I suddenly couldn't log on as a user, I found this in
/var/log/messages:

Feb 20 16:24:37 ct089038 kde(pam_unix)[2121]: session opened for user ivnils
by (uid=0)
Feb 20 16:24:39 ct089038 kdm[2133]: user "ivnils": cannot chdir to home
"/home/ivnils" (err 13), using "/"
Feb 20 16:24:39 ct089038 kde(pam_unix)[2121]: session closed for user ivnils

I tried to delete my user and then add him again, but no luck, I can't log
in as my user any more.

Anyone have any ideas??

/Ivar

 
 
 

user cannot chdir to home

Post by Ivar Nilss » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:39:19



Quote:>After a reboot I suddenly couldn't log on as a user, I found this in
>/var/log/messages:

>Feb 20 16:24:37 ct089038 kde(pam_unix)[2121]: session opened for user ivnils
>by (uid=0)
>Feb 20 16:24:39 ct089038 kdm[2133]: user "ivnils": cannot chdir to home
>"/home/ivnils" (err 13), using "/"
>Feb 20 16:24:39 ct089038 kde(pam_unix)[2121]: session closed for user ivnils

Sorry, forgot to include some information:

 Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
and


20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)) #2 Thu Jan 3 10:38:35 CET 2002

think it say's the most..

/Ivar

 
 
 

user cannot chdir to home

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:50:57




> >After a reboot I suddenly couldn't log on as a user, I found this in
> >/var/log/messages:

> >Feb 20 16:24:37 ct089038 kde(pam_unix)[2121]: session opened for user
ivnils
> >by (uid=0)
> >Feb 20 16:24:39 ct089038 kdm[2133]: user "ivnils": cannot chdir to home
> >"/home/ivnils" (err 13), using "/"
> >Feb 20 16:24:39 ct089038 kde(pam_unix)[2121]: session closed for user
ivnils

> Sorry, forgot to include some information:

>  Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
> and


> 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)) #2 Thu Jan 3 10:38:35 CET 2002

> think it say's the most..

> /Ivar

How about running "df" as root? And showing us /etc/fstab?
 
 
 

user cannot chdir to home

Post by zd » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 06:51:25


Ivar Nilsson escribi:

>>After a reboot I suddenly couldn't log on as a user, I found this in
>>/var/log/messages:

>>Feb 20 16:24:37 ct089038 kde(pam_unix)[2121]: session opened for user ivnils
>>by (uid=0)
>>Feb 20 16:24:39 ct089038 kdm[2133]: user "ivnils": cannot chdir to home
>>"/home/ivnils" (err 13), using "/"
>>Feb 20 16:24:39 ct089038 kde(pam_unix)[2121]: session closed for user ivnils

> Sorry, forgot to include some information:

>  Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
> and


> 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)) #2 Thu Jan 3 10:38:35 CET 2002

> think it say's the most..

> /Ivar

 Have you checked your home directory has the right permissions?
x for cding into it, r for lsing it and w for writing into it.

It could be that your home directory is missing. Check you /home. If you
user name is not there you will have to create one with mkdir.

Hope this helps.

 
 
 

user cannot chdir to home

Post by Ivar Nilss » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:48:42



Quote:> Have you checked your home directory has the right permissions?
>x for cding into it, r for lsing it and w for writing into it.

Had the right permissions, even tried to delete the old user and create
a new and got the same error..

Quote:>It could be that your home directory is missing. Check you /home. If you
>user name is not there you will have to create one with mkdir.

It somehow went away after a couple of reboot and one fschk on the
home partition, but I don't know what I did to make it disappear, very
strange and a little disturbing...

I'll save some more log's the next time (since I'm sure I will stumble in to
that problem again),

Anyhow, thanks for the help everybody!!

/Ivar

 
 
 

1. Login:users cannot "cd to /home/user"

Basically i cannot login on a created user. Though
logging in as root is perfectly fine.

The error at the login prompt offers
Login:user
Password:
Unable to cd to "/user"

Login:

Things i have already tried.

1.Checking and setting permissions for offending directory
  result: nothing.

2.Changed the user group for the user to the same as root in /etc/passwd
  result: nothing (even if this worked, hardly a desireable
           soloution).

3. Changed the ownership of files in /bin/* which contains sh.
   result: nothing.

4. Changed ENV_PATH and DEFAULT_HOME in /etc/login.defs.
   result: nothing.

5. Tried to "su user" into the system from root.
    result: error "su: cannot run /bin/bash: Permission denied"
            , ultimately resulting in nothing.

6. Tried to create the user again multiple times, by hand and using
   adduser.
   result: nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated. It's starting to piss me off.

2. How do I ftp a file through shell scirpt

3. chdir()... or strcat() then chdir()

4. Developing mail system

5. XP home users will have to upgrade to use a MS device targeted at home users

6. X Error (X_CreatePixmap)

7. PROFTPD: Some users cannot upload files, some users cannot get directory listing

8. unix file system question

9. "cannot chdir to ," at login prompt

10. Add a new user that cannot access any other directory than home dir

11. add users with admintool-- cannot create home dir?

12. cannot add users to home directory, Solaris 8 intel

13. cannot create make file: cannot get it set to home directory