HELP: RPM database updating on a package?

HELP: RPM database updating on a package?

Post by McManus Leo Root DSP Consultan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I removed my Netscape 4.72 RMP package and installed 4.73 from a .tar
file. Now I cannot install my PLUGGER.RPM file as it cannot see the
Netscape 4.73 in the RPM database. Is there anything I can do about
this?

Thanks

Leo

HELP: RPM database updating on a package?

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> I removed my Netscape 4.72 RMP package and installed 4.73 from a .tar
> file. Now I cannot install my PLUGGER.RPM file as it cannot see the
> Netscape 4.73 in the RPM database. Is there anything I can do about
> this?

You could uninstall 4.73 and install 4.75.rpm which is available here:

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2000-054-01.html

Just an idea.
ID # 123538

HELP: RPM database updating on a package?

Post by aflinsc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> I removed my Netscape 4.72 RMP package and installed 4.73 from a .tar
> file. Now I cannot install my PLUGGER.RPM file as it cannot see the
> Netscape 4.73 in the RPM database. Is there anything I can do about
> this?

> Thanks

> Leo

rpm -ihv plugger.rpm --nodeps

Post by -ljl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I removed my Netscape 4.72 RMP package and installed 4.73 from
> > a tar file. Now I cannot install my PLUGGER.RPM file as it cannot
> > see the Netscape 4.73 in the RPM database. Is there anything I can
> > do about this?

> You could uninstall 4.73 and install 4.75.rpm which is available here:

> http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2000-054-01.html

See the following URL as to why the above is an excellent idea:
  http://www.brumleve.com/BrownOrifice/BOHTTPD.cgi

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HELP: RPM database updating on a package?

Post by Friedhelm Neye » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi
try a rpm --rebuilddb

Quote:> I removed my Netscape 4.72 RMP package and installed 4.73 from a .tar

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi
>try a rpm --rebuilddb

>McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant schrieb:

>> I removed my Netscape 4.72 RMP package and installed 4.73 from a .tar
>> file. Now I cannot install my PLUGGER.RPM file as it cannot see the
>> Netscape 4.73 in the RPM database. Is there anything I can do about
>> this?

>> Thanks

>> Leo

I think that will only put it there if it is an rpm.  You might want to have
a look at http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/NByName.html and install either 4.74.
or 4.75.  It's a big download, but that would fix the problem.

When you try to install the plugger rpm, is it just giving you an error
about needing netscape?  If so, you can try it with

rpm -ivh --nodeps filename.rpm

I don't know if the install you did would have put the netscape files in the
same place as an rpm.  I'd try the nodeps install of the plugger first.  You
might also be able to find that rpm as a tarball and install it that way
like you did netscape.  Then if those don't work, you can get the rpm.  You
will have to remove what you have installed before installing the other or
when you run 'netscape' you may still get the currently installed version.

Anita

HELP: RPM database updating on a package?

Post by John » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:42:51

Quote:> Hi
> try a rpm --rebuilddb

Don't be silly; doesn't register software installed from tarballs.

Quote:> McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant schrieb:
>> I removed my Netscape 4.72 RMP package and installed 4.73 from a .tar
>> file. Now I cannot install my PLUGGER.RPM file as it cannot see the
>> Netscape 4.73 in the RPM database. Is there anything I can do about
>> this?

rpm --upgrade --nodeps

--

1. RPM-database & non-rpm packages

Hi folks,

another question about a probably frequently discussed prob:
Ive upgraded to kernel 2.4.0test10.
Therefor I had to upgrade some packages:
e2fsprogs
modutils

These upgrades were available only as *.tgz, not as *.rpm.
So I did an uninstall of the old (rpm) versions and installed the upgrades.
Now Ive got the prob, that my rpm-database thinks, that these two packages are
not installed which leeds to the prob that I am not able to install some other
packages via rpm -U <packagename> due to failed dependencies.

Is there any possibility to force rpm to install these packages anyway or
better, to "repair" my rpm-database?

Any suggestions or pointings to related docs are greatly appreciated!

TIA
-XoF-

2. SMC Enhanced Disk Tool

3. updating RPM packages with new nonRPM-packages

4. VIM 6.2 Complie error

5. RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

6. Make - macro expansion question

7. RPM: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

8. Lynx as a shell?

9. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

10. updating rpm database

11. Updating RPM Database

12. Query RPM database for date an update was made?

13. Please tel me how to update or upgrade the redhat glibc 2.1 rpm package