KERNEL PANIC: I CANT BOOT FROM SETUP'S LILO BOOT DISK!

KERNEL PANIC: I CANT BOOT FROM SETUP'S LILO BOOT DISK!

Post by _SiLVe » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

HELP!

I hope you can help me with this. I've downloaded all the files, and have
been trying to install linux for a week now using the linux setup program.

PROBLEM:
The problem is, linux is not detecting my partitions.

SYSTEM:
486-80 / 16 meg ram / vesa-local
1m S3 Video Card
2 Hard Drive's:
   260 meg seagate
      hda has one partition
         hda1 is a MSDOS partition
   1.6g Maxtor / hdb in linux
      hdb has four partitions
         hdb1 is a MSDOS partition
         hdb2 is my root linux partition
         hdb3 is an extra 8meg linux partition (no plans for this one yet)
         hdb4 is an 8meg linux swap partition.

OBSERVATIONS:
I can boot linux using the "abare" (eide support) boot disk and it has
no trouble with my partitions, but after running the setup program through,
and trying to boot with the LILO boot disk it creates, I seem to get the
same effect as when I try to boot with the "bare" (ide only) boot disk.
That is, linux misses my partitions on my 1.6g Maxtor. It seems linux-setup
is not instaling eide support on the LILO boot disk it creates.

This is what I see when I try to boot from the LILO boot disk linux
creates for me. Below it is what I see when I boot from "abare" boot disk.
Notice the different version numbers. I wonder what that means

CDT 1995
Partition check:
   hda : hda1
   hdb : hdb1
MINIX-fs : unable to read superblock
EXTZ-fs : unable to read superblock
MSDOS bread failed
UMSDOS Beta 0.6 (compatibility level 0.4, fast msdos)
isofs_read_super :bread failed, dev 0x342 iso_blknum16
hdb : bad access : block = 0, count = 1
end_request : I/O error, dev 0342, sector 0
HPFS : map_sector : read error
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:42

DT 1995
Partition check:
   hda : hda1
   hdb : [DM6:DDO][+63,789/64/63] hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 hdb4
VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER

Notice how easily "abare" sees all of the Maxtor's partitions? The 789/64/63
in the "hdb :" line appears to represent the Maxtor's geometry of cylinders,
heads, and sectors 3158/16/63.

Hopefully someone can cast some light on my situation.
Thanks, ScottH aka

KERNEL PANIC: I CANT BOOT FROM SETUP'S LILO BOOT DISK!

Post by Andries Brouw » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: CDT 1995
: Partition check:
:    hda : hda1
:    hdb : hdb1
: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

: DT 1995
: Partition check:
:    hda : hda1
:    hdb : [DM6:DDO][+63,789/64/63] hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 hdb4

You are the victim of a disk manager.
1.2.13 cannot handle this (although there is a patch on sunsite),
but 1.3.18 can. So, either use a recent kernel, or throw this
disk manager out - if I understand you correctly you want to
have Linux only on hdb, so there is no reason whatsoever to
kludge with disk managers.